Acer ultrawide monitors - How to enable 1:1 aspect ratio?

Yellowtofu

Hi there.  I don't know where else to find this information except for enthusiast sites like this, hopefully someone have experienced this and can help.

I bought an Acer XV340CKP monitor, fantastic monitor especially for the price.  Problem comes when I want to use my consoles on the display, the image is stretched horizontally.

I found the setting to adjust the display scaler, but "Wide Mode" is grayed out as seen in the attached image. 

I have scoured the internets looking for answers, but for some reason info on this monitor is few and far in between.

(rant) I then contacted their technical support, I've spent over an hour explaining to the first tech what the problem is, or what even an "aspect radio" is as he calls it.  He really has no idea, but he insisted that I should contact Sony because it is a Playstation problem, and refused to escalate my issue despite multiple requests to, reason being that his higher ups are just going to tell me the same thing.  Eventually I got to the 2nd level tech, he had said unconvincingly that the scaler doesn't work over HDMI and is for display port only (which doesn't really make sense to me TBH, but okay).  We tried just having just 1 display port connected onto the monitor, and the option remains grayed out.  He told me that he uses the 1080p version of my monitor, and that the option is grayed but he can switch it anytime.

So here we are, I am hoping that this is something very minor that when I find the solution I'd realize what a dumbass I am.  I don't believe that the monitor is defective since everything else works, but nobody (including Acer themselves) can tell me why I am unable to select an option that is clearly there.

Thank you!

signal-2021-07-29-172924.jpeg

First off, old consoles don't use 1:1 aspect ratio; they use 4:3.

Second, can you change the Wide Mode setting even though it's grayed out?

elephants

Thank you for your replies guys.

No I cannot change the setting, it just goes into the selecting next one.  Also not an old console, it's a PS5.

And yes Glenwing is correct.  But even not 1:1 as long as its not stretched I'm fine with (ie. black bars on the sides), I just lacked the technical vocabulary.

Check your PS5's settings for screen resolution; if its set to Automatic, set it to a specific resolution from the dropdown list.