6-pin to 6+2-pin adaptor question

Xargaze

Hi, I recently bought a 3060 and realized my PSU only has 6 pin connectors, while I need an 8 pin to power the card. The PSU should be powerful enought to run it, so I was wondering if there would be any problem running it with an adaptor similiar to what is pictured below, or if I would need to get a new PSU. Thanks.

9b0b0c5b-7548-4ec3-9e97-0290ed3367fb.JPG.webp

Just now, Xargaze said:

Hi, I recently bought a 3060 and realized my PSU only has 6 pin connectors, while I need an 8 pin to power the card. The PSU should be powerful enought to run it,

What PSU is it? If it doesn't have 8 (6+2) pin PCIe connectors it's likely either really old or really crappy.

Don't use adapters, especially not a single 6pin connector to dual 8pin connector like you have pictured. That's a fire hazard!

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Yeah, i'm curious of the specific model of PSU. If its a 3060, it'll only be a single 8-pin connector but still, not ideal. Modern GPU, get a modern PSU.

Dual 6 pin to 8 pin is usually the most adapt-y I'll get. Since 6 pin is rated for 75 watts and 8 pin is rated for 150 watts.

Typically a single 6 pin to 8 pin adapter will work, but it's not the type of thing I'm comfortable with risking if I can help it, personally.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What is your psu?

Could you show us a pic of the psu rail amperages?

Cause its about the amperage not just a matter of age

If your psu has rather low 12v but high 5v or 3v then dont use it, if otherwise then maybe but compare it to a newer psu in your wattage range

20 minutes ago, Xargaze said:

The PSU should be powerful enought to run it

Make and model of the PSU?

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What PSU is it? If it doesn't have 8 (6+2) pin PCIe connectors it's likely either really old or really crappy.

Don't use adapters, especially not a single 6pin connector to dual 8pin connector like you have pictured. That's a fire hazard!

16 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Yeah, i'm curious of the specific model of PSU. If its a 3060, it'll only be a single 8-pin connector but still, not ideal. Modern GPU, get a modern PSU.

11 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What is your psu?

Could you show us a pic of the psu rail amperages?

Cause its about the amperage not just a matter of age

If your psu has rather low 12v but high 5v or 3v then dont use it, if otherwise then maybe but compare it to a newer psu in your wattage range

Pictured the PSU below

CMPSU-650HX-hx650_001.png

Just now, Xargaze said:

Pictured the PSU below

That PSU is over a decade old... You should really replace it if you're planning on using an RTX 3060. It should have 6+2pin PCIe connectors though, assuming you are using the cables that originally came with the power supply - using other cables may damage the PSU or your computer.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Xargaze said:

Pictured the PSU below

CMPSU-650HX-hx650_001.png

Yea you should replace it

Cause 1 rail will only handle 216w

So if you happen to have a gpu on the same rail as other components like the cpu or you have a power hungry gpu then itll overlead the psu and cause it to shutoff due to ocp

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yea you should replace it

Cause 1 rail will only handle 216w

So if you happen to have a gpu on the same rail as other components like the cpu or you have a power hungry gpu then itll overlead the psu and cause it to shutoff due to ocp

... Where are you getting 216W from for 1 rail for the [ancient] HX650? It's a single rail PSU, 52A on the 12V rail (624W).

thanks for the help. guess I'll get a new psu then

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

... Where are you getting 216W from for 1 rail for the [ancient] HX650? It's a single rail PSU, 52A on the 12V rail (624W).

If its actually a single rail psu capable of delivering that much amperage then no need to replace it as its already good enough but from what ive seen on pics online its a 3 rail psu

5 minutes ago, Xargaze said:

thanks for the help. guess I'll get a new psu then

The real concern at this point is your cabling, the PSU is actually fine as long as you still trust it being that old. You should have a single 6+2 cable.

I have an HX750 from Corsair still in use in my home server that I bought new in 2009. 

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If its actually a single rail psu capable of delivering that much amperage then no need to replace it as its already good enough but from what ive seen on pics online its a 3 rail psu

You're looking at the Corsair HX620, a completely different power supply from 2006.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

You're looking at the Corsair HX620, a completely different power supply from 2006.

Seems like you are right

Checked for another image and found the 12v rail to be 52a

This psu is ok for a 3060 maybe but for more powerfull gpus i suggest swapping to a better psu