Soft Tubing - minimal bend radius

So I'm just about ready to install the tubng in my water cooling loop.

This is the 6th loop I've made in almost 20 years but the first one I'm actually using all new (and matching - better not to ask) components for.

For reasons, I want to coil my tubing about 120mm down. Yes, I have to go straight down, there's not a lot of space.

I imagine that that's not optimal for transporting bubbles out of the higher-lying rad into the lower reservoir (which will catch the bubbles and prevent them from getting back up).

So, since I have SOME space in that area, I am thinking about improving the gradient by coiling the hose instead.

3D printing provides a clean, simple and affordable way for me to manufacture a support structure.

But then, something occurred to me.

I don't actually know about the minimal bending radius that soft tubing can do without significant changes to the OD.

Scouring the internet, I can't even find a formula to figure this out!

That makes me feel better about my unawareness but it doesn't help, either.

Since I purchased the 10/13mm Alphacool tubing, among other components, and they're German, I had at least a tiny bit of hope that they'd know.

The answer I got was that they don't know/specify/say anything in relation to this for, and I translate-quote, various reasons.

Also, they mentioned that in their experience, no other company will commit to a statement in the matter, either.

Now I absolutely get, why. Maybe I'm spoiled for information in that regard due to working in engineering.

However, this makes it impossible for me to layout the coil properly without what would essentially be YOLOing it and printing a few coil support diameters and trying them out.

So if some of you have ever tried and gotten reliable experience with such an issue, kindly do let me know.

I was thinking about coiling the 13mm tubing around a 30mm diameter cylinder, if it helps.

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, SKR6588 said:

The answer I got was that they don't know/specify/say anything in relation to this for, and I translate-quote, various reasons.

Yes because there's a lot of variables in hand about bending radius. But generally, as long as it isnt dramatic change of flow or creates kinking, it should be fine.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:25 AM, SKR6588 said:

This is the 6th loop I've made in almost 20 years but the first one I'm actually using all new (and matching - better not to ask) components for.

For reasons, I want to coil my tubing about 120mm down. Yes, I have to go straight down, there's not a lot of space.

I imagine that that's not optimal for transporting bubbles out of the higher-lying rad into the lower reservoir (which will catch the bubbles and prevent them from getting back up).

So, since I have SOME space in that area, I am thinking about improving the gradient by coiling the hose instead.

3D printing provides a clean, simple and affordable way for me to manufacture a support structure.

I don't actually know about the minimal bending radius that soft tubing can do without significant changes to the OD.

Since I purchased the 10/13mm Alphacool tubing, among other components, and they're German, I had at least a tiny bit of hope that they'd know.

Also, they mentioned that in their experience, no other company will commit to a statement in the matter, either.

Now I absolutely get, why. Maybe I'm spoiled for information in that regard due to working in engineering.

However, this makes it impossible for me to layout the coil properly without what would essentially be YOLOing it and printing a few coil support diameters and trying them out.

So if some of you have ever tried and gotten reliable experience with such an issue, kindly do let me know.

I was thinking about coiling the 13mm tubing around a 30mm diameter cylinder, if it helps.

Thanks in advance

ya i looked and found noting on forms or the net but before hard tubing there was a way to heat the tube (at the time put a spring in side ) make the bend and cool it off in ice water. and this way was cheaper then 90 degree fittings and the performance was way better. but it disaperd off the internet... now a days we have the silacone insert witch would be better then a spring.

linus use to love finding tubing that could bend back in the ye old days.

come to think of it i dont think i have seen linus do any hard tubing 🤔 now he gets his lackeys to do the works (i think Jake dose it?)

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I've also been thinking of making something up, i.e. out of delrin. But the milling involved is probably not worth it and the sealing would be a b....

Any idea how long of a vertical drop I can have the tubing make and still pull some residual air through?

The tubing is only 10mm ID, after all.

Got a lot of good experience with microbubbling in the water that drains within maybe hours, maybe days.

with the methed i said above you can probably get an 3 inch bend with 1/2 id and 1/8 od tubing. probably less with small tube but i dont think they got smaller then 1/4 silicone insert so you have to make your own

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Gotcha, I wasn't sure how your previous comment was meant.

About 60mm would be a bend radius I'd also be comfortable with.

I haven't seen any silicone supports for tight coils but have whipped something 3D-Printable up, a sort of top-hat for a cylindrical res.

Still not happy though, due to 1-2 vertical drops...

It depends on the tubing, but with Mayhem Ultra Clear tubing in 3/8 ID x 5/8 OD it can do about 3" diameter loops on itself.  As the tubing heat cycles it'll "set" into that shape and not really resist it anymore but you have to be careful before that because it can work itself off barbs and leak because it softens so much from high heat (~45-50C) (not a problem with compression fittings though)

If you need tighter radius, you can maybe presoak the tubing in hot water.  There's a tradeoff though where it'll just start kinking too if it gets too soft.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 7/27/2021 at 5:25 AM, SKR6588 said:

Thanks in advance

i finny found a guide....dam

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?239246-How-to-Bend-Form-Tubing-for-Your-Setups

Sweet, thanks!

That truly is a good guide to hose bending 'n stuff.

With me being self-taught, this fills in some blanks.

I've just installed about 30% of the setup yesterday (which took me around 5 hours) and ended up going for one of them 180-degree adapters (that I found after starting this topic) instead. It's the safer bet.

Let's see how it turns out once the adapter arrives.

55 minutes ago, SKR6588 said:

Sweet, thanks!

That truly is a good guide to hose bending 'n stuff.

With me being self-taught, this fills in some blanks.

I've just installed about 30% of the setup yesterday (which took me around 5 hours) and ended up going for one of them 180-degree adapters (that I found after starting this topic) instead. It's the safer bet.

Let's see how it turns out once the adapter arrives.

ya back then you could buy pre bent tubes. there were lots of guides and videos but could not find anything... but this guide. there are lots of test too back then vs fittings and bends.(gone as well...sadly...) but this way was cheap then buying 90 degree fittings thow dont preform as well. an 180 fitting is probably fine thow.