WIndows 10 Pro, sleep is completely gone.

Bitter
Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

@GoodBytes

I updated my BIOS to the latest version, 5809 from 5406 which brought me to the most currently released AGESA for my X470 board and brings a bunch of new finer grained controls for the CPU, resizeable BAR, more memory controls, all sorts more things to play with and make my PC unstable with! For the time being I got the CPU setup with the correct-ish memory speed (tune RAM first, then tune CPU) at the correct voltage, the CPU undervolted and LLC turned down and finally was able to turn OFF PBO correctly, previous BIOS didn't actually turn it off ever, now I can run at 90W @3.7Ghz across all 8 cores which is more than enough for what I do on a daily basis. What's any of this got to do with my problem? Well....

In amongst all these new settings are new explanations of the settings, one of which informs me THAT DISABLING CPU CORES WILL DISABLE S3 SLEEP STATE! Nowhere in the manual, BIOS, or any online discussions has this been mentioned that I can find. So that's the fix.

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎11/‎11/‎2020
OS build    19043.1110
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Asus X470 Gaming F

AMD 2700X

32GB RAM

Vega56

500GB 970 Evo Plus NVME

500GB 860 Evo SATA

Corsair RM1000X

I just went to go set some power options, I had been running the PC 24x7. I went to the normal Settings > Power and Sleep, all I have now is monitor sleep timer. I used to have a 2nd entry allowing me to set the PC sleep timer as well.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-option-is-gone/0f5eda5a-64da-4101-8066-a9c69ae1ec7a

I tried #1 and 2 here.

I tried the first registry file here

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7456-add-remove-sleep-power-menu-windows-10-a.html

Vega graphics card shows it's correct driver installed.

Restarted between each step.

Last changes to system before I noted this issue were some Windows Updates and I turned PBO off, dropped my core and LLC volts, and dropped from all 8 cores (2700X) to 4 cores because nothing I was doing warranted the full beans at this time and I figured I'd save a little on the power bill since it's been so hot lately.

Unsure what my next steps are at this point.

Sleep functionality is disabled if you have 1 hardware connected to the system which doesn't support sleep functionality.

This can occur if you are missing a driver as well.

Check Device Manager, and make sure that all the hardware is detected (Chipset, GPU, Audio, Ethernet, Wireless (if any), Bluetooth (if any), SATA Controller, etc.) And no "!" marks listed anywhere.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sleep functionality is disabled if you have 1 hardware connected to the system which doesn't support sleep functionality.

This can occur if you are missing a driver as well.

Check Device Manager, and make sure that all the hardware is detected (Chipset, GPU, Audio, Ethernet, Wireless (if any), Bluetooth (if any), SATA Controller, etc.) And no "!" marks listed anywhere.

Didn't see any ! Next to anything, I'll check again. Only new things are a card reader and Razer Basilisk basic mouse. Not runnings the mouse software.

It's not like sleep is grayed out, it's gone like no mention of it anywhere. Even under advance power options all I have is hibernate.

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's not like sleep is grayed out, it's gone like no mention of it anywhere. Even under advance power options all I have is hibernate.

Yea, Windows does that when sleep is not available, it just hides the option everywhere

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea, Windows does that when sleep is not available, it just hides the option everywhere

New Bitmap Image (3).jpg

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Hibernate

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
        Standby (S3) is not available.
        The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

Fast Startup
        This action is disabled in the current system policy.

I must have changed something in BIOS unintentionally, yeah?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Hibernate

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
        Standby (S3) is not available.
        The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

Fast Startup
        This action is disabled in the current system policy.

I must have changed something in BIOS unintentionally, yeah?

That is what it looks like.

Ensure that S3 (sleep) and S4 (hibernation) are enabled, if they are described as such.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

That is what it looks like.

Ensure that S3 (sleep) and S4 (hibernation) are enabled, if they are described as such.

I found a setting for S4 and S5, I don't see S3. I'll read through my board manual. This BIOS is frustrating as it seems changing one thing changes several other settings, like if I scroll through some CPU OC options (manual, auto, DOCP, default) it resets my RAM speed, voltage, and timings!

Still no sleep. I did get it to hibernate at least, so there's that I guess. A little slower to wake from but much lower power but also harder on the disk I think.

@GoodBytes

I updated my BIOS to the latest version, 5809 from 5406 which brought me to the most currently released AGESA for my X470 board and brings a bunch of new finer grained controls for the CPU, resizeable BAR, more memory controls, all sorts more things to play with and make my PC unstable with! For the time being I got the CPU setup with the correct-ish memory speed (tune RAM first, then tune CPU) at the correct voltage, the CPU undervolted and LLC turned down and finally was able to turn OFF PBO correctly, previous BIOS didn't actually turn it off ever, now I can run at 90W @3.7Ghz across all 8 cores which is more than enough for what I do on a daily basis. What's any of this got to do with my problem? Well....

In amongst all these new settings are new explanations of the settings, one of which informs me THAT DISABLING CPU CORES WILL DISABLE S3 SLEEP STATE! Nowhere in the manual, BIOS, or any online discussions has this been mentioned that I can find. So that's the fix.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

@GoodBytes

Super informative! Thank you for taking the time to share!

Yes, that is one thing I HATE with motherboard manufactures. They are lazy.

BIOS: "BLCK Value"

Everyone: "Oh, what is BLCK?! Let me look at the at manual... Ahhh there it is:"

Manual: "BLCK Value option allows you to adjust the value of the BLCK"

Everyone: 🤦‍♂️

Like, why do a manual if they don't give a crap about any of it?

I get translation has a cost but come on! This is plain lazy.

I guess they don't care because consumers look at the lowest price well reviewed board, and the reviewer don't bring attention to this.

In my opinion, I think this should be a standout feature. I would LOVE a motherboard manufactures, willing to spend extra, for a proper documentation, and spend time explaining everything properly everything. While I do know a lot, sometimes I forget, and every few generations of CPUs you have new things replacing other things due to architectural difference, and it would be nice to have things explained, either in the physical manual, website or in the UEFI itself. Anyways...

I am happy that this mystery is solved and thank you for digging for the problem, and not do a UEFI/BIOS reset and clean install Windows. I hope it will help others.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Super informative! Thank you for taking the time to share!

Yes, that is one thing I HATE with motherboard manufactures. They are lazy.

BIOS: "BLCK Value"

Everyone: "Oh, what is BLCK?! Let me look at the at manual... Ahhh there it is:"

Manual: "BLCK Value option allows you to adjust the value of the BLCK"

Everyone: 🤦‍♂️

Like, why do a manual if they don't give a crap about any of it?

I get translation has a cost but come on! This is plain lazy.

I guess they don't care because consumers look at the lowest price well reviewed board, and the reviewer don't bring attention to this.

In my opinion, I think this should be a standout feature. I would LOVE a motherboard manufactures, willing to spend extra, for a proper documentation, and spend time explaining everything properly everything. While I do know a lot, sometimes I forget, and every few generations of CPUs you have new things replacing other things due to architectural difference, and it would be nice to have things explained, either in the physical manual, website or in the UEFI itself. Anyways...

I am happy that this mystery is solved and thank you for digging for the problem, and not do a UEFI/BIOS reset and clean install Windows. I hope it will help others.

I agree and I hope this helps someone else. My past issues with 4th gen Intel 80 series boards and Asus BIOS updates have helped a shocking number of people (there are dozens of us!). I'm really happy that Asus Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V from AMD's documentation into the BIOS context help boxes. In the UEFI itself is the most useful because it's specific to your board and what you're looking at right now, vs Googling it on your phone and trying to make sure the results apply to what you have. It barely takes any space to include some context text along with items, thankfully this X470 board has a larger ROM chip on it.