X99 Sabertooth: not connecting M.2 SSD.

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
14 minutes ago, FoodOcean said:

My apologies, it is a Samsung 860 sata m.2.

I thought anything that supported name supported sata as well, is that not the case?

I have reset the BIOS multiple times and and I can't find any direct stings to the m.2

If it is SATA M.2 then it's not supported via the onboard M.2 slot. 

M.2 slots can support NVMe only, NVMe and SATA or SATA only. It's not guaranteed to support both. 

In the X99 Sabertooth's manual, it shows only PCIe (NVMe) drives are supported in the M.2 slot. I believe this is the case for all X99 boards. If you still want to use the SSD, you can get PCIe to M.2 SATA add in cards or you can get SATA to M.2 SATA adaptors as well which convert M.2 to the standard SATA power and data cables. 

image.png.22243f8f118a4a832ad971b6d06f5837.png

Hello all!

Idk if this is the right section to post this in, but here it goes.

I am building my friend his first PC with a few extra parts I had lying around. These parts include an i7-5930k cpu, an x99 Sabertooth motherboard, and a Samsung 960 evo m.2 sata. 

In theory these parts should be able to work together no problem, but the m.2 isn't showing up in the BIOS. I have tried to update drivers using a HDD I have lying around, but still no cigar.

I attempted to read the manual for the x99 to best understand why I was have such difficulty and, in the expansion slot section, it shows that 28-lane cpus have access to the m.2 slot, but did not specify for 40-lane ones like the 5930k.

Can someone please offer some guidance; is this configuration a lost cause, or is it possible to use my m.2 in this build, and if so how?

The Black Garnet

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

MOBO: Asus Tuf X570 Gaming Pro (wifi)

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 CL-16

GPU: XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT

CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow (Black)

Boot: SSD: Samsung 980 PRO Internal NVMe 1TB
Storage: SSD: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB

Cooling: AIO: MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R

This may sound dumb, but have you tried removing it and putting it back in? My brother's M.2 failed on his motherboard after a power outage but a quick replug did the job.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

10 minutes ago, FoodOcean said:

Samsung 960 evo m.2 sata

As far as I know, the 960 EVO is NVMe, which should work. 

If the SSD is indeed SATA, then that would be why. M.2 on X99 only supports PCIe (NVMe) drives. 

I would recommend clearing CMOS and trying again with default settings. There may be setting that disables the M.2 slot. You also cannot have PCIe x16_3 slot and the M.2 populated at the same time. 

30 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

This may sound dumb, but have you tried removing it and putting it back in? My brother's M.2 failed on his motherboard after a power outage but a quick replug did the job.

Not dumb at all! I did in fact power cycle and reinstall the m.2 drive. I know drive isn't dead because it works just fine when installed into my laptop.

The Black Garnet

30 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

As far as I know, the 960 EVO is NVMe, which should work. 

If the SSD is indeed SATA, then that would be why. M.2 on X99 only supports PCIe (NVMe) drives. 

I would recommend clearing CMOS and trying again with default settings. There may be setting that disables the M.2 slot. You also cannot have PCIe x16_3 slot and the M.2 populated at the same time. 

I thought anything that supported name supported sata as well, is that not the case?

I have reset the BIOS multiple times and and I can't find any direct stings to the m.2

The Black Garnet

14 minutes ago, FoodOcean said:

M.2 slots can support NVMe only, NVMe and SATA or SATA only. It's not guaranteed to support both. 

In the X99 Sabertooth's manual, it shows only PCIe (NVMe) drives are supported in the M.2 slot. I believe this is the case for all X99 boards. If you still want to use the SSD, you can get PCIe to M.2 SATA add in cards or you can get SATA to M.2 SATA adaptors as well which convert M.2 to the standard SATA power and data cables. 

On 7/23/2021 at 1:50 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

so I bit the bullet and bought a Samsung 970 Evo m.2 and it TOTALLY worked. Thanks for the suggestion and knowledge.

The Black Garnet