RAM upgrade problem-automatic repair loop

Hello,

Today i wanna to upgrade an old PC with 2 sticks with both 4 GB of ram (the stick are from the same brand and the same type), But when I place the new sticks in the slots. The PC wont get past the loading screen of the motherboard and I can't even get into the BIOS. When I place the sticks in slot DIMM 3 and 4 i can get into the BIOS. But DIMM 3 and 4 are not the right slots for the RAM i think.

But when I place the RAM in DIMM 3 and 4 I can get into the BIOS. After that I wanna to get in to Windows 10, then I see the screen with automatic repair for a while, and then I get an blue screen.

Please can somebody help me i really need to fix this PC.

The motherboard is: MSIP55-CS53

And the RAM is: Kingston KVR16N11S8K2/8

Kingston Value ram.....

The correct slots for 2 sticks dual channel is slot 1 and 3.

Kind of mixed up on your deal though. 

Not sure if you are trying to run all 4 sticks or just upgrading the 2 sticks for 8gb total, but you mention 16gb. If thats the case, all four slots need to be populated.

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Kingston Value ram.....

The correct slots for 2 sticks dual channel is slot 1 and 3.

Kind of mixed up on your deal though. 

Not sure if you are trying to run all 4 sticks or just upgrading the 2 sticks for 8gb total, but you mention 16gb. If thats the case, all four slots need to be populated.

Hello, Thank you for your reply.

That is the weird part, when I put the RAM in slot DIMM 1 and 3 I can't get past the loading screen of the motherboard, and I can't even get into the BIOS. But when I am putting the RAM sticks in to DIMM 3 and 4 I can get into the BIOS.

I am upgrading with 2 RAM sticks with a total of 8 GB, and not 16GB.

And is there something wrong with Kingston Value ram? In that case please let me know, then I am gonna buy new RAM sticks.

4 hours ago, JoeryD said:

Hello, Thank you for your reply.

That is the weird part, when I put the RAM in slot DIMM 1 and 3 I can't get past the loading screen of the motherboard, and I can't even get into the BIOS. But when I am putting the RAM sticks in to DIMM 3 and 4 I can get into the BIOS.

I am upgrading with 2 RAM sticks with a total of 8 GB, and not 16GB.

And is there something wrong with Kingston Value ram? In that case please let me know, then I am gonna buy new RAM sticks.

Well, it's worth testing each stick to be sure one of them isn't bad.

The first slot is single stick operation. Test the new sticks individually with memtest. 

Not that there is anything wrong with Kingston Value ram, it's literally exactly what it means. Like shopping at wall mart and getting the "Great Value" brand cookies over Keebler Elve's cookies.

Another thing about DDR3, which I do not think is the issue here, is that some memory is platform specific to either AMD or Intel. 

Pretty silly question here.. did you clear the cmos at all while pulling and pushing sticks? I only ask because internal timing registers can change quite a bit with different memory. Even from just 2 to 4 Things change quite a bit.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

Pretty silly question here.. did you clear the cmos at all while pulling and pushing sticks? I only ask because internal timing registers can change quite a bit with different memory. Even from just 2 to 4 Things change quite a bit.

How do I clear the cmos? I am not a expert on building/upgrading pc's. And with clearing the cmos, I dont mess up the build? like when I am gonna clear the cmos that some files are go missing from the harddrive?

There are two ways, there is a clrtc jumper you can bridge, or you can pull the battery. I do both sometimes..

Edit:

My board doesn’t have a clear cmos button, I have my reset switch wired to the jumper. Works great especially when the cat walks on it 👍🏻

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

There are two ways, there is a clrtc jumper you can bridge, or you can pull the battery. I do both

Okay thank you, I'm going to try this tomorrow, I'll let you know if it worked.

Just now, JoeryD said:

Okay thank you, I'm going to try this tomorrow, I'll let you know if it worked.

No problem, happy to help if I did 👍🏻

On 7/21/2021 at 7:08 PM, freeagent said:

No problem, happy to help if I did 👍🏻

I cleared the CMOS, I pulled that green plastic cmos thing and put it on the other pin. I waited 20 seconds and put it back. I even touched the pins with a screwdriver. Then I took the battery out and put it back in. Then I plugged it back in and turned it on and I can't get any further.

The weird thing is that when I put the ram in DIMM 2 and 1, I can go to BIOS but when I want to go to Windows I get a blue screen right away. But when I put them in DIMM 1 and 3 (that's the correct DIMM RAM slots) I see this screen (see attached file) I also tested both sticks and they both work.

Is there anything else I can try?

BIOS.jpeg

Uh oh, do you have another stick?