Advice on buying a laptop for Design

Hi there,

I need advice for a laptop that will be used for stuff like Photoshop, indesign, resove, lightroom etc..

Range 1000 - 2000 (EU/GPB)

Advice on both new or used machines (new better?)

The SSD will likely be upgraded after the purchase as that is usually cheaper.

Dell XPS 15 looks like it comes with a relatively slow CPU compared to even base model Razer. But I am not really a fan of Razer. Are there any other nice looking machines with good spec and build quality?

What are people recommending these days? I haven't followed on anything but Macbooks for a long time. This laptop is going to be for PC user.

Any recommendations? 

For professional design work or hobby stuff?

If it's for actual jobs that pay money, you need a Mac. Nobody is going to want to work with you if you don't have AirDrop, iMessage for full res transfer, album sharing, etc etc. It sucks if you're a PC person but that's just what's expected in the field.

If it's for personal or hobby use it doesn't matter. Your chief concern on a Windows machine should be finding one with an accurate display that at least covers sRGB by 100% and preferably much more beyond that. Forget about OLED, they have awful uniformity issues that will make creative work a nightmare, especially in Photoshop.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

13 hours ago, Roswell said:

For professional design work or hobby stuff?

If it's for actual jobs that pay money, you need a Mac. Nobody is going to want to work with you if you don't have AirDrop, iMessage for full res transfer, album sharing, etc etc. It sucks if you're a PC person but that's just what's expected in the field.

If it's for personal or hobby use it doesn't matter. Your chief concern on a Windows machine should be finding one with an accurate display that at least covers sRGB by 100% and preferably much more beyond that. Forget about OLED, they have awful uniformity issues that will make creative work a nightmare, especially in Photoshop.

Thanks for the opinion, i'd rather take some suggestions.

The person is working just fine for the past 5 years on a Dell inspiron with i7. They are complaining that it's getting slower and slower over the years so they are looking at an upgrade that is worth the money.

I guess it's not that important to have color accuracy as they do a lot of work on autocad as well that i didn't mention originally.