Help me build my audio solution

Sprawlie

Over the years I have been using the same pair of desktop altec Lansing computer speakers for 20 years

they buzz and hiss and I know nothing about audio.

I need to build an audio solution for my office setup but don’t know what’s good.

needs to support gaming and tv watching from multiple sources. TV audio, chrome cast and PC. And If possible all at the same time (so I can game and watch tv at same time)

attached is my workstation. My preference is to get the speakers off the table top as well

so LTT. Around $500 to $1000CAD recommend me a full brand new audio setup for this room 

7EAE39F4-EC42-4821-ACCC-14AAB79BCC0B.thumb.jpeg.078d27ea9588a05ed7897dd7552ba900.jpeg

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

I would suggest a proper AV receiver/AMP and a good set of speakers. (usualy about the same price as the receiver).

Those receivers would have multiple inputs and give you much options on how to use them and what to connect.

Altho using 2 displays and 2 sound stream would be then very hard to accomplish.

But if you just want the audio from your TV to be playing over said AMP ( = receiver without the radio part) a HDMI connection with ARC (Audio Return Channel) would make the sound from TV be played over the AMP.

This solution would possibly fit inside your budget.

edit, sorry i used receiver and AMP willy nilly, they essentially the same just a receiver adds the radio part.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

36 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

would suggest a proper AV receiver/AMP and a good set of speakers

Sure. But I don’t know what that would be or where to start

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

4 hours ago, Sprawlie said:

Over the years I have been using the same pair of desktop altec Lansing computer speakers for 20 years

they buzz and hiss and I know nothing about audio.

I need to build an audio solution for my office setup but don’t know what’s good.

needs to support gaming and tv watching from multiple sources. TV audio, chrome cast and PC. And If possible all at the same time (so I can game and watch tv at same time)

attached is my workstation. My preference is to get the speakers off the table top as well

so LTT. Around $500 to $1000CAD recommend me a full brand new audio setup for this room 

7EAE39F4-EC42-4821-ACCC-14AAB79BCC0B.thumb.jpeg.078d27ea9588a05ed7897dd7552ba900.jpeg

Is there a specific type of sound you prefer (For example, bass-heavy, boosted treble, warm, ect, whatever)? Would you like a subwoofer for better bass extension? Any other wants/needs that you didn't mention, such as having them be a certain color?

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:28 PM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Is there a specific type of sound you prefer (For example, bass-heavy, boosted treble, warm, ect, whatever)? Would you like a subwoofer for better bass extension? Any other wants/needs that you didn't mention, such as having them be a certain color?

Thanks for the Questions. 

I'm a complete noob at Audio. I've stuck with these desktop speakers for so long cause simply they worked and they didn't sound like shit.

But if it helps. I listen to Metal for music. Watch mostly action movies. Don't need the big "booming" sound. But would like something that's clear and crisp. 

I Don't need volume. So something that sounds better at lower volumes is key. the room is small and isn't great for audio (Photo above).  Most of the time Ill be sitting at the desk. But I do often sit in the lounge chair and game on the TV on the wall. 

Ideally whatever would be suitable for either.

I have a room mate, so that also impacts just how powerful or loud they'll be mostly used.

6 hours ago, Sprawlie said:

Thanks for the Questions. 

I'm a complete noob at Audio. I've stuck with these desktop speakers for so long cause simply they worked and they didn't sound like shit.

But if it helps. I listen to Metal for music. Watch mostly action movies. Don't need the big "booming" sound. But would like something that's clear and crisp. 

I Don't need volume. So something that sounds better at lower volumes is key. the room is small and isn't great for audio (Photo above).  Most of the time Ill be sitting at the desk. But I do often sit in the lounge chair and game on the TV on the wall. 

Ideally whatever would be suitable for either.

I have a room mate, so that also impacts just how powerful or loud they'll be mostly used.

Well, I have some good news, and I have bad news. 

Good news? Your budget is excellent, It'll accommodate for basically anything you could want. You seem to have a ton of flexibility, and that's great too. A want for clear and crisp sound is also great, You'll be able to get that and more. Also, just to make sure you know, spending this much money absolutely isn't required. If you're open to lower-cost options (and if you prefer it), please make it known to me now, since your priorities can be achieved easily (most likely) with a sub-250 CAD speaker. 

Bad news? Well, you're in a bit of a pickle in terms of what you can do with the speakers. Metal, from what I know, I heavily characterized for it's full-on, sometimes distorted, and midbass-heavy sound. There's plenty of speakers out there that can do that really well, however, low volume is quite difficult, especially with this genre of music, but also just in general for speakers. Optimal performance isn't usually reached at lower volumes (but it'll depend on a speaker-to-speaker basis, as well as you, obviously. Definitions of "Low volume" is, well, subjective). The same thing kind of applies for movies, for the most immersion-and I suppose 'fun' [kek]- louder volumes and bass extension (for dramatic scenes, especially in action movies, but it'll definitely vary) is likely what you're looking for. So, can you get great speakers for what you want? Absolutely. This is just to draw to your attention the possible downfalls of a system. With that said, I *do* have some nice recommendations for you depending on what you're interested in.

I'm currently working on a list of recommendations, I'll get back to your later, probably in around 18-20 hours (I have sleep, then a job to do basically immediately after I wake up, I won't have enough time to sit down and complete the list), hopefully. Sorry for the trouble, I was planning on just delaying this message but figured you might want to get my stance on this. Cheers!

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

14 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Well, I have some good news, and I have bad news. 

Good news? Your budget is excellent, It'll accommodate for basically anything you could want. You seem to have a ton of flexibility, and that's great too. A want for clear and crisp sound is also great, You'll be able to get that and more. Also, just to make sure you know, spending this much money absolutely isn't required. If you're open to lower-cost options (and if you prefer it), please make it known to me now, since your priorities can be achieved easily (most likely) with a sub-250 CAD speaker. 

Bad news? Well, you're in a bit of a pickle in terms of what you can do with the speakers. Metal, from what I know, I heavily characterized for it's full-on, sometimes distorted, and midbass-heavy sound. There's plenty of speakers out there that can do that really well, however, low volume is quite difficult, especially with this genre of music, but also just in general for speakers. Optimal performance isn't usually reached at lower volumes (but it'll depend on a speaker-to-speaker basis, as well as you, obviously. Definitions of "Low volume" is, well, subjective). The same thing kind of applies for movies, for the most immersion-and I suppose 'fun' [kek]- louder volumes and bass extension (for dramatic scenes, especially in action movies, but it'll definitely vary) is likely what you're looking for. So, can you get great speakers for what you want? Absolutely. This is just to draw to your attention the possible downfalls of a system. With that said, I *do* have some nice recommendations for you depending on what you're interested in.

I'm currently working on a list of recommendations, I'll get back to your later, probably in around 18-20 hours (I have sleep, then a job to do basically immediately after I wake up, I won't have enough time to sit down and complete the list), hopefully. Sorry for the trouble, I was planning on just delaying this message but figured you might want to get my stance on this. Cheers!

Thank you 🙂  looking forward. 

I have a high budget due to some luck in finances (one time) and decided that if I'm going to buy something now, I want it to last another 20 years and I want it to be of excellent quality (and not low end consumer junk. HD-DVD was a lesson :p)

I know the lower volume thing is a pickle. and you're right about the soound profile of metal. It's focus is on the midrange trebble with some bass, but not the really deep thumping (it drowns out the geeeetars!). PowerChordes for life 😄

And you're doing me the favour by making recommendations. at your convenience. no rush. Much appreciated

9 hours ago, Sprawlie said:

Thank you 🙂  looking forward. 

I have a high budget due to some luck in finances (one time) and decided that if I'm going to buy something now, I want it to last another 20 years and I want it to be of excellent quality (and not low end consumer junk. HD-DVD was a lesson :p)

I know the lower volume thing is a pickle. and you're right about the soound profile of metal. It's focus is on the midrange trebble with some bass, but not the really deep thumping (it drowns out the geeeetars!). PowerChordes for life 😄

And you're doing me the favour by making recommendations. at your convenience. no rush. Much appreciated

Hey, here's some recommendations I have. I have a lot more, but I made a promise (and bit off a lot more than I could chew - and uh, sorry for the incoming wall of text-). The main thing I'm concerned about is inputs with speakers. A lot of the speakers (or passive speakers with amp/dac pairings) lack some inputs you may want, and the a/v receiver market in canada seems to be shot to hell (at least on amazon)... so, here I am! I have a partially completed list of recommendations, and there's a lot more to come. Don't worry if you're a little confused, I'll add in more guidance in the finished thing. In the meantime, would it be possible to tell me what inputs in specific you would like to use, so I can hunt down what dacs and adapters I would need to track down for specific speakers? Also, if you have any feedback or questions, feel free to bring them up. Once again, cheers!

Kef q350:A personal favorite of mine, and a fairly exciting speaker. Just to make it clear, these are unpowered speakers and will need an amplifier to function. These are slightly bright, a little… meh, perky. They operate alright fairly close to walls but will benefit from more space if you can give some. This, along with the sheer size and weight of these things (they’re monsters, they’re over 7.5 kg per speaker, and coming from kef: 

Dimensions (H X W X D) *with Rubber Feet: 362mm (14.25 inches) x 210mm (8.26 inches) x 306mm (12.04 inches)

They image and soundstage very well, and I prefer them to a lot of their competition. However, you tastes definitely may differ, and this speaker might not be an option for you. Now if it is, lets talk pricing:

So these retail for around $700 USD or 900 CAD, however, at least in the US, can go on sales below $500 USD, or give or take around 650 cad. The lowest I think I’ve seen these go is to $350 USD around black friday (which should turn out for you to be around 450-500, hopefully), which I mean is coming up if you’re interested :^) (Note, If you decide to wait for black friday, I’d do some snooping around the interwebs to see if kef does this in your area, and if the day comes, check retailers such as Bestbuy and crutchfield if possible. 

I have a feeling you might like this one, based on your list of wants and what you've said. Or hate, perhaps. We'll see 🙂 The klipsch fives are honestly, very interesting speakers. Constructed in none other than the U.S of A, you know the quality can't get much better... joking, but putting that aside, these are extremely well made, and the made-in-the-US might be an additional plus.The veneer on these speakers is excellent, and they pull off a style that I personally really like. What else? Well, these speakers are pretty tiny, yet they have a ton of power running through them. For the size, it’s quite good- Speakers such as the Kali in8, a far larger monitor, have less power running through it. Consequently, even though these speakers have fairly small 5’ woofers, they have a ton of bass potential, With bass extension down to 46hz or below if desired. These speakers are fairly bright, and more or less follow the “klipsch sound. (Defining the Klipsch Sound | Klipsch [Yes this is by klipsch so take it with a grain of salt, the “klipsch sound follows somewhat of a “V” curve, with some interesting supplements]).” You may find this speaker to be a little or even somewhat too bright for your tastes. If that is what happens, you can always toe-out your speakers, tilting them to slightly face away from you. It shouldn’t impact the sound much -especially if you’re a bit further away from them- besides in the treble, which should be calmed down by this. I currently run my r-41pm’s like this. The bass might also somewhat vary. Another trick is to put on the grilles, this may reduce the treble slightly. These are powered speakers with no other equipment besides cables, and perhaps wall mounts required for use. These Can connect to devices with HDMI-ARC, Bluetooth, through phono/ line analog (from a turntable, even though it uses RCA it can't use digital inputs), it can take inputs simply through a 3.5mm analog cable, it can take USB inputs (special cable/connector required, not proprietary but you cant just stick a double sided male USB-a cable into your pc and the speaker), and it has an optical input. Lots of choices. These currently go for 1100 CAD, but like the kefs, around black friday they go on sales, you may see them down to 700 CAD. You can also look into their slightly cheaper (and larger) siblings, the klipsch sixes if perhaps you’re not impressed by the price. Most of what I said up here applies to it.

Honorable mention, the Jamo S 803: Slightly cheaper speakers that also follow the fun “V” shaped tuning, and have a front port, making them fairly versatile in terms of placement. Unpowered speakers, These are a good bit cheaper than other recommendations, but are obscenely finished for the price. Obscenely well, that is. These speakers are a lot of good fun, and likely will be able to serve you well in the coming years. At 300 cad they’re not a bad price, but in the US we can get them for like 200 cad. They can go on sales even below that.

Another honorable mention, The edifier r1700bt's can be had at a really good price, and they're quite a good speaker, could be all you need. Sub-200 cad, powered speaker, very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you kindly for the write up