Toshiba Canvio "gaming" vs Western Digital "my passport"

raytracing5

Hi guys,

Is there any speed difference btw these two?

Some say the word "gaming" here is only for marketing. Is that right?

29 minutes ago, raytracing5 said:

Some say the word "gaming" here is only for marketing. Is that right?

Very.

And imo, hard drives nowadays are so much slower even at the higher end that you really should just buy cheapest you can get that isnt SMR or running at a bog slow 5400rpm. But even then, still depends on what you want it to do.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I would get a Seagate 2.5 inch external, because you can take them out if the usb 3 cases if you decide to use it internally, other brands you can't beacuase the drive is soldered to the usb 3 enclosure. And these arnt "gaming" hard drives, just normal hard drives, that probably use smr because they are 2.5 inch, which won't effect read speeds for games, writes will be slower but for downloading from the internet you probably won't notice unless you have really good speeds.

16 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

It's really only for marketing. Certain Canvios are faster than certain Passports and vice versa, just depends on which you buy. What do you plan on using it for?

to transfer huge files faster

How about loading games from HDD bro? is TOSHIBA any good? what is your recommendation?

51 minutes ago, raytracing5 said:

How about loading games from HDD bro? is TOSHIBA any good? what is your recommendation?

If you're looking at the ones with mechanical drives, it would be a terrible experience. They're low power 5400 RPM laptop drives. Modern games would have tons of issues.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20