Galaxy S4 Rooting will be impossible on newer stock kernels, but this is a good thing.

A post on XDA developers has cased some unnecessary drama due to people misunderstanding the title:  [info] Rooting will be impossible on newer stock kernels

Samsung will be implementing a new feature which prevents processes (such as malware, exploits or SU) from changing from a normal user to root by using SETUID. However a custom kernel will still allow us to achieve root access.

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2263788

Via: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/05/samsung-aims-to-block-root-exploits-and-tighten-up-security-with-latest-exynos-galaxy-s4-update-but-this-is-a-good-thing/?utm_source=feedly

I'll just watch and see how it plays out... but yes, the XDA crowd can be a little overly dramatic

• 1 year later...

OK, but you need root to install a custom kernal, unless I'm missing something?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

At the very least, people with root can keep it. I'm sure someone will eventually find a way around Samsung's preventative measures. I do wish that companies would cut this out though. I'm still mad at Verizon for not letting me unlock my boot loader.

ok...

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

You should be able to flash a custom kernel with the feature disabled right?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Check the date people. This is a really old thread and as far as I know, they ended up being wrong.

Someone accidentally necro'd the thread.

Well, you might be able to get around that with ADB. There are ways, around it, but aren't to user friendly, and increase the chances of a brick: Eg: block level erasing of the NAND.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

S4 Active from AT&T still can't install custom ROM.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...