150-ish euro headphone recommendation.

RollinLower

Hi lads,

My gf's little brother's birthday is coming up, and the guy got into game streaming lately. So i want to gift him a better audio setup.

i already have the mic situation sorted. (Rode NT-USB)

What i need now is a good solid (preferably wireless) pair of headphones that can complete the setup.

budget would be about 150 euro's

any help would be appreciated!

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Hi lads,

My gf's little brother's birthday is coming up, and the guy got into game streaming lately. So i want to gift him a better audio setup.

What i need now is a good solid (preferably wireless) pair of headphones that can complete the setup.

HyperX Cloud 2 wireless.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Just now, RollinLower said:

that's a full headset though. imo a loose mic is much better for streaming. or am i wrong?

I thought of recommending those since they have a good and solid sound for being wireless. The mic can be removed. I don't know many great wireless headphones as I only look at wired options. But those are the best bet for being wireless I'd say.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Just now, Tigerleon said:

I thought of recommending those since they have a good and solid sound for being wireless. The mic can be removed. I don't know many great wireless headphones as I only look at wired options. But those are the best bet for being wireless I'd say.

yeah the wireless bit really doesn't help, especially if it's bleutooth and compressed to hell and back. but he was very adamant about wanting wireless so welp, wireless it is.

11 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

especially if it's bleutooth and compressed to hell and back

Nope. Not bluetooth.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

1 hour ago, Tigerleon said:

Koss makes decent stuff. KSC35, kph7 wireless, I guess the porta pro wireless even. Most likely outperforms or at the very minimum nearly matches the cloud II, just they look like absolute garbage. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Hi lads,

Best options are obviously wired if sound quality is the priority. $150 is a bit tricky though, the person you're buying the gift for could go for an "entry level... enthusiast" headphone, such as say, the he400se or the beyredynamic tygr, possibly the dt770 pros or something? But those would like an amp (at least a dongle), which would set you back even more. I suppose along with koss stuff (wired, and wireless, wireless mentioned above, wired being the Koss porta pro, Kph30i, ur40, GMR 545-air and ksc75 ), you could consider the akg k361/k371 BT. Excellent closed-backs from what I've heard, they've been converted to wireless with these models. Very likely they will sound significantly better than the Hyperx headset, but it lacks any sort of "gamery" aesthetic if your Gf's younger brother is into that, even less than the hyperx stuff. You might want to bring these headphones up and see their reaction, a surprise might not be the right thing imo. 

I'd recommend the cheap koss (preferbaly the ksc35 for wireless or the kph30i+authentic grado pads and an apple usb-c dongle or a meizu hifi dongle) for excellent performance (especially at the price, it competes with the hyperx and akg headsets we're mentioning) if her little brother doesn't care whatsoever about the looks; 

Perhaps the dt770 pro (250 ohm), or the he400se if you're willing to spend a little more on extra components....maybe the tygr;

The AKG headphones, GMR545 air,  or the hyperx headset if they're more concerned about aesthetics but maybe not with the entire "gaming" aesthetics;

And if all else fails, perhaps just leave it to them to select what looks best. Most of the other gaming headsets out there should sound very similar. Most to all razer stuff, corsair voids and whatnot, Steelseries, Logitech, whatever gaming headsets won't sound super great, or very different from product to product.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Tygr or the X2HR. They are very good all-rounders.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280