Fat32 2tb Seagate NAS not recognized when plugged into USB 2.0/3.0 ports, works flawlessly when putting into airport extreme as NAS

KOtech

Copying over files to my nas. Doing so with over 1 tb of content is quite slow over local connection so i decided to do it with the HDD directly plugged into my computer.

Now though, plugged into the computer my NAS is not showing up under "computer" tab (windows 8.0). FAT 32 should work with both Windows and mac.

What could be wrong?

http://i.imgur.com/bLeCReF.png - Image showing that drive is recognized, but is not "recognized" under "management". 

wow why so many partitions on the disk?.  all you need to do is assign a drive letter and it should show up.

On 4/4/2014 at 10:39 PM, ross06187 said:

wow why so many partitions on the disk?.  all you need to do is assign a drive letter and it should show up.

Its for organization. (But it's quite the mess anyways, i get your point.

I am unable to access the "change drive letter and paths" option. All i can do is format the HDD.

Hmm..

Its for organization. (But it's quite the mess anyways, i get your point:) )

I am unable to access the "change drive letter and paths" option. All i can do is format the HDD.

Hmm..

if you cant mark the drive as active then add a drive letter don't force it. as it sounds like the nas unit is doing something odd.  if you mess with it to much you may loses all the data.

do you have any unknown devices in device manger?

these sort of thing happen when you don't have the correct usb drivers for the ports (chip set) or the controlled is not using the best driver.

On 4/4/2014 at 11:30 PM, ross06187 said:

if you cant mark the drive as active then add a drive letter don't force it. as it sounds like the nas unit is doing something odd.  if you mess with it to much you may loses all the data.

do you have any unknown devices in device manger?

these sort of thing happen when you don't have the correct usb drivers for the ports (chip set) or the controlled is not using the best driver.

Right now i went the slow way of backing up through the local network. 

Unkown device would occur if i plugged in the NAS in another port. It may be that my current usb port-drivers are not up to date.

@KOtech sounds like your driver are up to date.    only if windows show an unknown device you know you have a driver issues.

you can get the latest drivers from you motherboard  manufactures website. look for chip-set driver.  its is a oem system (HP DELL)  it will be on there website.

if it usb 3 they require them own drivers.

Generally the nas unit will be using the generic usb windows driver so that's not an issue.