Do I need an external DAC?

dampii

Hey!

I just picked up a pair of Bayerdynamic dt990 250, and I would like to buy an amp and maby a dac to them.

I've been looking at the 02 Objective stand alone and the combo with the DAC. But I wonder if I will hear any difference with the external dac? Im using a Asus hero motherboard.

Thanks! :)

You probably won't, don't bother and just roll with the amp if you really find yourself needing one.

do you need an amp? try it with your onboard audio , if its too low , get it , if not , maybe not

do you need a dac? if your onboard is shit , with static etc, get it , if not , maybe not

o2 will prolly be an upgrade , but you can make the decision after trying the headphone on your onboard audio.

A DAC is not the same as an amplifier. The onboard audio - powered by a SupremeFX chip - shouldn't suffer poorly from EMI. Only buy a DAC if the sound quality is adversely affected by the onboard audio (if you hear static and such). I can almost guarantee you that you won't hear a difference. Just buy and Objective2 amp; it's cheaper if you buy it without the integrated ODAC. DT 990s will need amping.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510