Google Project Ara (Sneak Peak / Update)

JLCitadel

"Project Ara (Phonebloks) and modular pieces of tech in general are gaining steam. So far, we’ve known that we will be able to swap specified parts of our smartphones, which will result in longer lives for our phones and less waste as a result of our tech lusts. Today, Google revealed some of the work that was going on behind the scenes with their ATAP (Advanced Technology and Projects) group. The Ara team members (read ‘nerds’) took the time out to demonstrate the sliding ‘blocks’ of their prototype or very early build of the devices, and they have not deviated a whole lot from the initial drafts, but there were significant bits of information included.

Firstly, the team has decided upon an electro-permanent magnetic system to hold the blocks in place, as opposed to clips or grooves of some sort. The product of this ingenuity features an easy to slide part that won’t give you any trouble to remove or insert if needed. Best of all, if your battery dies, your processor or memory should not fall out of your phone because of the power loss — thank you Google ATAP. This is very important for widespread adoption and gaining the trust of the public.

The ATAP group confessed that they have fallen in love with the somewhat rugged and practical aesthetics of their modular designs, and have decided that it should not be covered, but rather revealed for consumers and onlookers to gaze upon. The icing on the cake lies in the use of 3D printing from a company called 3D Systems. Yes, they’re working on printing the parts of your modular phone in the colour and texture that you desire. Can you imagine printing the parts for your own phone one day?"

I'm glad to see more progress, although it's kind of meh now to be honest. I'd stick with traditional phones till this goes a lot further.

Source

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes! My stuff right here. If only they could release it earlier. So I could get my hands on it.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

What I want to know is how a larger display would work.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I saw variable sizes, if they have a 4" display version, I want it right meow.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.