Thermal Paste vs Thermal Pad in 2021

DankDoodles

Is it still better to use Thermal Paste than Thermal Pads? Or has Thermal Padding technology improved to where there isn't much of a difference?

1 minute ago, DankDoodles said:

Is it still better to use Thermal Paste than Thermal Pads? Or has Thermal Padding technology improved to where there isn't much of a difference?

It's inherently better to use thermal paste.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, ACEHACK said:

Those videos are from June/July

I was curious if they have improved at all in 2021

nope. thermal pads are nothing new. its just a sheet of graphite anyway.

I personally prefer using thermal pads instead of thermal paste because it doesn't really degrade much overtime. To answer the OP's question, it really depends on the specific thermal paste and thermal pad you're comparing. In general, thermal paste spreads much easier and fills the gap between your CPU and heatsink more evenly (a proper application).

Remember that most graphite thermal pads are still going to be electrically conductive, however there are some like the Sunbeam TS-IB Iceberg that are advertised to not be electrically conductive. -->   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZFPOA2?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

46 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

the laws of thermodynamics aren't going to change that quickly.  Paste will always be better than pads, unless we get a dramatic shift in tech.

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

the laws of thermodynamics aren't going to change that quickly.  Paste will always be better than pads, unless we get a dramatic shift in tech.

What isn't changing is that heat transfer is linearly proportional to thickness. 

Thermal paste with good mounting pressure is always going to be thinner and better than thermal pads.  This is also why different brands of thermal paste doesn't really matter very much.  "our thermal paste is 10x higher thermal conductivity blah blah".  Yeah that's cool and all but when you have a heat spreader on the chip that is 100x the thickness of the thermal paste layer it doesn't matter.  It's a weighted average where the heat spreader is the dominant factor by a lot.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Technology around us is constantly changing/improve so I had no idea if there were any significant developments in thermal pads.