Where is it ideal for a desktop folder to be placed on Windows 10, SSD or HDD ??

Go to solution Solved by WkdPaul,
10 minutes ago, Techyguy010288 said:

I recently added a HDD on my laptop which is running Windwos 10 on SSD. I would like to know where it is good for the Desktop folder to be placed ??

Thanks..

If you keep lots of files on your desktop and you have a small SSD, you can move it to the HDD, but it's not a necessity and won't make a difference in performance. This will only affect transfer speed if you need to move large files off your Desktop folder.

I recently added a HDD on my laptop which is running Windwos 10 on SSD. I would like to know where it is good for the Desktop folder to be placed ??

Thanks..

Why would you want to move it to another drive? That seems like it's just asking for trouble if something goes wrong or you need to swap drives but this is coming from someone who doesn't store anything on the desktop folder to start with and I didn't even know you even could move the desktop folder until I checked just now. I would leave it at the default location unless you have a specific need to move it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

"A" desktop folder or "the" desktop folder are not the same thing. If you're referring to the Desktop folder that you see on the left hand side of your explorer menu, then you should leave it where it is. It's a system folder that can't be change anyway.

image.png.e43c5fa7ed642879d0cb751a778fdc28.png

Of course, you can move other folders and files that you have placed on your desktop anywhere you want. 

Edited by Avocado Diaboli
Edited out the wrong info

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

2 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

If you're referring to the Desktop folder that you see on the left hand side of your explorer menu, then you should leave it where it is. It's a system folder that can't be change anyway.

That's completely wrong, all user folders have a location tab, this lets you move any folders to another drive (I'm guessing in case you have a very small SSD as your OS drive and wants to have your documents or download folder on a larger drive) ;
image.png

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 minutes ago, Techyguy010288 said:

Thanks..

If you keep lots of files on your desktop and you have a small SSD, you can move it to the HDD, but it's not a necessity and won't make a difference in performance. This will only affect transfer speed if you need to move large files off your Desktop folder.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

That's completely wrong, all user folders have a location tab, this lets you move any folders to another drive (I'm guessing in case you have a very small SSD as your OS drive and wants to have your documents or download folder on a larger drive) ;

Huh, learned something new, I guess. I never had to/tried to do that because I don't have a habit of keeping anything on my desktop and I already have my preferred folder structure where I keep files I work on so I don't run the risk of having files that could possibly get lost if I have to wipe the boot drive.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

5 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Huh, learned something new, I guess. I never had to/tried to do that because I don't have a habit of keeping anything on my desktop and I already have my preferred folder structure where I keep files I work on so I don't run the risk of having files that could possibly get lost if I have to wipe the boot drive.

I personally use this feature for my documents and pictures folders ; they're on a mirrored drive (simple RAID 1) and are backed up by OneDrive on top.

16 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I personally use this feature for my documents and pictures folders ; they're on a mirrored drive (simple RAID 1) and are backed up by OneDrive on top.

wait, you use OneDrive?

That's a first

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wait, you use OneDrive?

That's a first

I'm getting a good price for 365 through work, so yeah, it's not great but since I have it I decided to use it (the HUGE problem with it is you can't tell it to keep the offline files and to get rid of the online files on the "default" user folders ... it's annoying AF because I have a game that uses the documents folder as a download cache for updates ... so I have to pause it when that game needs an update).

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wait, you use OneDrive?

That's a first

You don't?

I use it as well, pretty nice for documents and whatnot on the go and not having to dig through something like Backblaze or Crashplan's gui to get a file I need from a backup archive.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

28 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You don't?

I use it as well, pretty nice for documents and whatnot on the go and not having to dig through something like Backblaze or Crashplan's gui to get a file I need from a backup archive.

No, it keeps putting shortcuts from my laptop on my desktop, and shortcuts for older windows installs and whatnot. It's frustrating.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

No, it keeps putting shortcuts from my laptop on my desktop, and shortcuts for older windows installs and whatnot. It's frustrating.

That's "normal" behaviour, if it's online in your OneDrive, it'll push everything to the PC you connect OneDrive to.

If it's "old" stuff, or "useless" stuff, just go to your OneDrive online and delete the files that are useless, they will stop showing up on the PC you connect OneDrive to.