Home Network & Connection

Aza_
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
2 hours ago, Aza_ said:

Any help would be appreciated,

You really have a few ways to connect the two buildings. 

1) A site to site wireless link. Essentially you will put a transmitter/receiver on each building, pointed at each other. And using the magic of Wireless the two will connect. Keep in mind these are basically two direction antennas pointed at each other, so much better than trying to get WiFi from a router or range extender which uses a omni direction antenna. HOWEVER you still may suffer from interference and stuff that WiFi suffers from. 

2) Wire it up. When it comes to wiring there are two ways really to run it. One is direct burial, like one user recommended the other is to run a conduit. I myself would choose the second option only because it makes it easier to run additional cables if ever needed. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, some times utilities are buried under ground, not sure if this happens in your corner of the world. But here in the US Power, Water, Natural Gas, and Telecoms can be buried. Where I live its only natural gas, but we have the utility locating service (811) that we call to have stuff marked. See if a similar service is available if you have buried utilities. Its all fun and games until you hit an electrical line or gas line. 

Next you have to choose the type of cabling. The two basic types are Ethernet or Fiber. 

Ethernet:

Pros

• Cheap
  • Easily available 
  • Can power networking equipment if needed 
  • Easily to deal with and repair 

Cons

• Can carry electricity meaning it can carry lightning (The 8Bit guy on Youtube made a video about this happening to him twice. 
  • Limited to 100m/328ft 
  • Should be grounded if using outside

Fiber 

Pros

1. Can cover a greater distance 
  2. Does not carry any electricity as its glass 
  3. Speed is really limited on the equipment you have on each end 
  4. Not sure if this still holds up, but generally if you want faster than 1 Gbps Fiber was cheaper as used enterprise gear is easily available. 

Cons

1. Expensive 
  2. Might not be easily available 
  3. Fragile 
  4. You will have to either buy media converts for each end or buy a switch that can take a Fiber cable 

If this were me and I had the ability to run a wire. I would A) Use a conduit. And B) Id look in to Fiber. 

Not sure if this is a good spot to ask this kind of question but we'll give it a shot anyway.

So I have a granny flat/bungalow in my backyard which I'm thinking about moving out into (more space for me as I live with my family and I can be a bit louder) as well as planning to build a new PC. Only problem with this whole plan is that the Wifi speed as trash, and I mean TRASH (Try 5 mbps with constant drop outs on a good day). A wifi range extender doesn't solve the issue, furthermore, I'd prefer to have a LAN connection for my up-and-coming PC.

So my questions are: What is the most viable way of getting a LAN connection out there on the same network? Do I need to hook up another router and run a cable all the way into the house into the pre-existing modem or something else? What am I even doing here? Will I have to pay for two networks from my provider?

I've done a bit of research but I'm not a tech-savy guy so I honestly have no clue.

Cheers 

Ethernet cable from main router to shed, then in shed (only if you need multiple connections) a simple (small) switch.
And done.

Make sure the cable can handle the weather. Maybe route it in a tube to protect it.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Make sure the cable can handle the weather. Maybe route it in a tube to protect it.

I would say just get direct burial cable.

The main issue you're going to have to solve is how to get the cable from inside the house (the router) to the outside to run under ground, then back inside at the bungalow.

If it's not your house, your parents would have to be fine with you putting holes in the walls to run the cable.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

-= Topic moved to Networking =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Ethernet cable from main router to shed, then in shed (only if you need multiple connections) a simple (small) switch.
And done.

I was thinking about that, but I don't want a mile long cable running everywhere, if you know what I mean hahah.Might be the best option I have though.

Thanks for the suggestion

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I would say just get direct burial cable.

The main issue you're going to have to solve is how to get the cable from inside the house (the router) to the outside to run under ground, then back inside at the bungalow.

If it's not your house, your parents would have to be fine with you putting holes in the walls to run the cable.

Yeah for sure.

It's a bit of a weird problem to fix without some sort of compromise I guess.

3 minutes ago, Aza_ said:

I was thinking about that, but I don't want a mile long cable running everywhere, if you know what I mean hahah.Might be the best option I have though.

Thanks for the suggestion

Well either that 20 bucks for cable and 30 bucks for the tube.
Then 250 bucks for an ad-hoc wifi connection. 😉

ps. when you are editting your message scroll up and press the quote button it will be added to the message you already typing. (Where the cursor is).
So you dont have to double post. 🙂

11 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Well either that 20 bucks for cable and 30 bucks for the tube.
Then 250 bucks for an ad-hoc wifi connection. 😉

ps. when you are editting your message scroll up and press the quote button it will be added to the message you already typing. (Where the cursor is).
So you dont have to double post. 🙂

I swear the cable is going to be more than my monitor 😢

And are you talking about Arika's reply with the double post? I dont really know what you mean, Im new to all this so I'm trying to get myself grounded ahahah

1 hour ago, Aza_ said:

I swear the cable is going to be more than my monitor 😢

And are you talking about Arika's reply with the double post? I dont really know what you mean, Im new to all this so I'm trying to get myself grounded ahahah

It's ok we all have to learn.

I meant what you did in 2 posts, you can do in 1.
But its ok. No harm done.

Hope you have success with getting the internet there.

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

It's ok we all have to learn.

I meant what you did in 2 posts, you can do in 1.
But its ok. No harm done.

Hope you have success with getting the internet there.

I get what you mean know, thanks for the suggestion and the help 🙏

2 hours ago, Aza_ said:

1) A site to site wireless link. Essentially you will put a transmitter/receiver on each building, pointed at each other. And using the magic of Wireless the two will connect. Keep in mind these are basically two direction antennas pointed at each other, so much better than trying to get WiFi from a router or range extender which uses a omni direction antenna. HOWEVER you still may suffer from interference and stuff that WiFi suffers from. 

2) Wire it up. When it comes to wiring there are two ways really to run it. One is direct burial, like one user recommended the other is to run a conduit. I myself would choose the second option only because it makes it easier to run additional cables if ever needed. ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, some times utilities are buried under ground, not sure if this happens in your corner of the world. But here in the US Power, Water, Natural Gas, and Telecoms can be buried. Where I live its only natural gas, but we have the utility locating service (811) that we call to have stuff marked. See if a similar service is available if you have buried utilities. Its all fun and games until you hit an electrical line or gas line. 

Next you have to choose the type of cabling. The two basic types are Ethernet or Fiber. 

Ethernet:

Pros

• Cheap
  • Easily available 

Cons

• Can carry electricity meaning it can carry lightning (The 8Bit guy on Youtube made a video about this happening to him twice. 
  • Limited to 100m/328ft 

Fiber 

Pros

4. Not sure if this still holds up, but generally if you want faster than 1 Gbps Fiber was cheaper as used enterprise gear is easily available. 

Cons

1. Expensive 
  3. Fragile 
  4. You will have to either buy media converts for each end or buy a switch that can take a Fiber cable 

If this were me and I had the ability to run a wire. I would A) Use a conduit. And B) Id look in to Fiber. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ethernet:

Pros

• Cheap
  • Easily available 

Cons

• Limited to 100m/328ft 

Fiber 

Pros

Cons

1. Expensive 
  3. Fragile 

Thanks, this was really helpful.

Sounds like a job for a sparky, just to be on the safe side. My countries safety regulations, regarding depth and markings are pretty good but still.

1 minute ago, Aza_ said:

Thanks, this was really helpful.

Sounds like a job for a sparky, just to be on the safe side. My countries safety regulations are pretty good but still.

In some areas doing this type of work would require A) A permit from the government and B) A licensed and trained pro. Its up to you if you want to do this. Honestly if your semi handy you could probably run this yourself and save a ton of money.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

In some areas doing this type of work would require A) A permit from the government and B) A licensed and trained pro. Its up to you if you want to do this. Honestly if your semi handy you could probably run this yourself and save a ton of money.  

If this account suddenly dies off, I've hit an electrical line and you should call the police