I screwed up taking out my GPU, now there is no power

So I'm in the process of building my first PC after a few months of gather parts and planning and today was the day I decided to put it together. I thought it would be a good idea to make sure there was no faulty components by setting it up on the motherboard's box. I set it up and it worked. The RGB on my RAM lit up and I used a screwdriver to boot the PC, and it posted! Well after that I flipped off the power supply and I tried to take the graphics card out, but it came out funny because I must have not flipped up the safety tab. Well the safety tab popped off and that was the only thing I could see that I screwed up (although I did put the tab back on later, like I said it popped off, it isn't damaged). I put it back in to make sure I didn't kill anything and sure enough now when I flip the power on it will not do anything. I reseated the card several times and I replugged in all the power cables. Nothing seemed to work. I figure tomorrow I will test to see if I killed the card but I want to know if there is an easy way to tell if I damaged anything else. My guess is that either I killed it somehow with the gpu or turning off the psu while it was running killed it. I don't know why the psu thing would have killed it because when I looked it up people were saying that is what you are supposed to do. 

For reference I am using a b550i aorus pro ax for the motherboard, a Ryzen 5600x for the cpu, and a RTX 3060 for the gpu. 

Thank you in advance. 

The worst that probably happened here is that you broke the PCIe slot trying to get it out. I personally doubt it because I've actually been forced to do the same thing to pull out my 3060ti from a B550 Aorus Elite AX V2  and the PCIe slot still works just fine. Usually I'd say try the card in another slot but like,,, you only have one... which is what makes things a little bit more complicated.

Will the motherboard not turn on even with no GPU in it? It should at least get you fan spin and some lights, even if not POST.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

The worst that probably happened here is that you broke the PCIe slot trying to get it out. I personally doubt it because I've actually been forced to do the same thing to pull out my 3060ti from a B550 Aorus Elite AX V2  and the PCIe slot still works just fine. Usually I'd say try the card in another slot but like,,, you only have one... which is what makes things a little bit more complicated.

Will the motherboard not turn on even with no GPU in it? It should at least get you fan spin and some lights, even if not POST.

Yeah I tried it without the gpu as well and that didn't help, nothing would turn on. 

Check all the connections on every part of the board, make sure the CPU power and PSU power is connected

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Just now, DaJakerBoss said:

Check all the connections on every part of the board, make sure the CPU power and PSU power is connected

Yup did that. Made sure to unplug then plug them all back in several times to make sure it wasn't that.

You shouldn’t turn the PSU off to turn the PC off if an OS is booted, but the hardware itself won’t care, so that part is correct. 

I am not sure what could have happened. Try resetting the CMOS?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

First remove all but the CPU. Can you remove the RAM and clear CMOS? Install the speaker on the header, it should be among your accessories. Connect CPU power and the 24pin power cable. No GPU.

Does the mobo detect there is no ram by giving you a beep code? Does the fan spin on the CPU cooler?

If that doesnt work you can reseat the CPU and if that doesnt work, your mobo is dead, probably.

If it does detect your missing ram, the issue is either the slot or the GPU card.

8 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

You shouldn’t turn the PSU off to turn the PC off if an OS is booted, but the hardware itself won’t care, so that part is correct. 

I am not sure what could have happened. Try resetting the CMOS?

I haven't installed windows yet, like I said I just set up the components to see if anything was faulty. I'll try resetting the CMOS in an hour or two and I'll leave an update.

38 minutes ago, BaconLordPlayz said:

I haven't installed windows yet, like I said I just set up the components to see if anything was faulty. I'll try resetting the CMOS in an hour or two and I'll leave an update.

Just tried resetting the CMOS, still nothing. Fans still don't even spin and the RGB won't light up.

20 hours ago, BaconLordPlayz said:

when I flip the power on it will not do anything

With flipping the power on you mean shorting your contacts with the screwdriver?

You don't have access to another PC to test your GPU?

Can you test your PSU?

If everything is connected right, the PSU works and is on, plugged into the wall and shortening the contacts to turn on your PC does nothing you probably killed your motherboard with that little stunt.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

3 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

With flipping the power on you mean shorting your contacts with the screwdriver?

You don't have access to another PC to test your GPU?

Can you test your PSU?

If everything is connected right, the PSU works and is on, plugged into the wall and shortening the contacts to turn on your PC does nothing you probably killed your motherboard with that little stunt.

No, I mean switching the switch on the PSU. I can test my GPU, but I have not yet. I cannot test the PSU at the moment because I don't have another on hand. 

3 minutes ago, BaconLordPlayz said:

No, I mean switching the switch on the PSU. I can test my GPU, but I have not yet. I cannot test the PSU at the moment because I don't have another on hand. 

OK... . Have you tried booting it up like you did before?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

1 minute ago, Montana16 said:

OK... . Have you tried booting it up like you did before?

No because the motherboard will not turn on at all now. When I switch on the PSU, the fans will no longer spin and the RAM does not light up. I figured trying to boot it when it isn't doing anything will cause more issues. 

Just now, BaconLordPlayz said:

No because the motherboard will not turn on at all now. When I switch on the PSU, the fans will no longer spin and the RAM does not light up. I figured trying to boot it when it isn't doing anything will cause more issues. 

The ram will not light up until you hit the on switch on the motherboard same with fans.

1 hour ago, BaconLordPlayz said:

The PC won’t turn on just from flipping the PSU switch to on. You also have to tell the mobo it’s go time (usually with the case power button… or you can just short the header). 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

23 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

The PC won’t turn on just from flipping the PSU switch to on. You also have to tell the mobo it’s go time (usually with the case power button… or you can just short the header). 

Well I feel pretty stupid about this one. Yes this was the issue. I got freaked out because of the whole GPU situation and I did not want to touch the motherboard and cause more damage. Thank you for the help.