Windows 11 TPM requirement really raises the barrier to entry... Scalping TPM's, oh no!!??

So I'm still running AMD FX (yes I know), and I'll be wanting to upgrade to Windows 11 when it drops. But we know that Windows 11 is a picky so and so... The main caviat to this (as well as the fact that my system is outdated on a hardware level), is that my motherboard does not have a TPM header. I'm running the Asus M5A97 LE R2.0. Make note of the fact it's the 'LE' model, as the non 'LE' model (Asus M5A97 R2.0) does in fact sport the TPM header, down by the USB headers - on mine this a blank. I'm not going to find a used motherboard with the header - the system is not worth spending money on.

I just thought I'd vent a bit, as I'm happy enough running this PC for now and would like to upgrade it to Windows 11 if I had the opportunity. It's still a perfectly usable machine for what I do (light casual gaming, Office 365, Chrome) - meaning that it's up to date in regard to software.

Think of the e-waste produced if everyone threw away their non-TPM compatible machines. I'm aware that Windows 10 still has another 4 years of offical support, and by that time I'll have another machine. But... in the meantime, it's still nice to have the illusion of being up do date, by at least being able to experience the latest software. Who knows, Windows 11 might actually extend the usable life span of this system if any of the gaming tests on the Dev build are anything to go by.

I'd like to know if anyone can relate, as I'm hoping that Microsoft will rethink their approach - especially since most custom built PC's will require the purchase of a TPM module (another thing that will be out of stock and scalped).

Well, the added security was needed. Plus, when Windows 7 came out people threw out their XP systems, same with 8.1, same with 10. The point of companies is to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, and Microsoft is doing that with hardware requirements for Windows 11. Planned obsolescence has been around for a while now, and won't be going away any time soon.

On that note, I have an AMD FX-9000 series laptop (2017) and a Xeon E5-series desktop (2012), neither of which are compatible with Windows 11. I think many people will stick with 10 for a while longer.

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well, the added security was needed. Plus, when Windows 7 came out people threw out their XP systems, same with 8.1, same with 10. The point of companies is to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, and Microsoft is doing that with hardware requirements for Windows 11. Planned obsolescence has been around for a while now, and won't be going away any time soon.

On that note, I have an AMD FX-9000 series laptop (2017) and a Xeon E5-series desktop (2012), neither of which are compatible with Windows 11. I think many people will stick with 10 for a while longer.

I mean, sure... people want the latest and greatest, and corporations fuel this. With regard to Windows 7, whilst people did flock to it, XP users were still prevalent. I remember my high school still running XP in 2012/2013. 

With obsolescence being a large contributing factor, it can't be wise the Microsoft decide to do this - all the custom PC scene with their latest motherboards will still require a purchase of a seperate TPM; and in the current hardware climate I can see this being a bad thing. TPM's will be bought up and prices will skyrocket.

How do you feel having a 4 year old laptop that is now obsolete with regard to OS? You're right, Windows 10 might be the way forward for the budget/old hardware crowd.

There were many ways ti bypass the tpm check on windows 11's leaked build, id wager those will still work

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TPigg said:

How do you feel having a 4 year old laptop that is now obsolete with regard to OS? You're right, Windows 10 might be the way forward for the budget/old hardware crowd.

Eh not really sure. To be honest I don't use my laptop for much other than school work, so basically any OS on it would be fine. I am a little more worried about my desktop though, since I do all my CAD, rendering, and 3D modeling work on it, and I don't know how much longer that software will be supported on 10.

Is there some easy to follow list of what CPUs are and aren't supported? I've looked for a list with simply ptt and amd ftpm compatible processors but can't find anything definitive.

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

There were many ways ti bypass the tpm check on windows 11's leaked build, id wager those will still work

Ok... that's good. To be honest, they could implement an option to 'Install Windows 11 securely' or 'Install Windows 11 at risk of your life, family and livelihood.' I'd be willing to risk it all ngl.

4 minutes ago, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

Is there some easy to follow list of what CPUs are and aren't supported? I've looked for a list with simply ptt and amd ftpm compatible processors but can't find anything definitive.

Microsoft lists the supported processors here, the requirements are weird though, Intel 8th gen or AMD Ryzen 2000 series, yet some low end Intel Atom and Celeron CPU's are supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

2 minutes ago, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

As long as the CPU is 64 bit, then is there any issue (other than presence of TPM hardware/headers)? My FX 6300 is compatible, it's my motherboard that's the problem.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Microsoft lists the supported processors here, the requirements are weird though, Intel 8th gen or AMD Ryzen 2000 series, yet some low end Celeron CPU's are supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

Jeez, if this is definitve; then it's worse than I thought. So literally, only 4 year old hardware and newer is supported? Not even 1st gen Ryzen??

6 minutes ago, TPigg said:

Jeez, if this is definitve; then it's worse than I thought. So literally, only 4 year old hardware and newer is supported? Not even 1st gen Ryzen??

I've seen some mention those requirements could mean its the recommended specs, like a PC game that has recommended requirements but will run on older hardware. I still think thats a bad idea as it would confuse a lot of people running Intel 7th gen or Ryzen 1000 series CPU's if Microsoft is recommending to replace hardware that should work on Windows 11.

* your thread was moved to the Windows section, please always post in the appropriate section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Microsoft lists the supported processors here, the requirements are weird though, Intel 8th gen or AMD Ryzen 2000 series, yet some low end Intel Atom and Celeron CPU's are supported.

@TPiggThis is absolutely 100% NOT Definitive.

I've installed it on an HP Business desktop running an i7 6700.  It took no trickery, I just ran it off the RUFUS USB, and it installed perfectly.

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

@TPiggThis is absolutely 100% NOT Definitive.

I've installed it on an HP Business desktop running an i7 6700.  It took no trickery, I just ran it off the RUFUS USB, and it installed perfectly.

Phew... I'm assuming that the business desktop had some form of TPM

Just now, TPigg said:

Phew... I'm assuming that the business desktop had some form of TPM

Yup.  TPM isn't all that new, and most plaforms have had it for quite a while. 

Just now, tkitch said:

Yup.  TPM isn't all that new, and most plaforms have had it for quite a while. 

Yeah, at the very least modern systems have a TPM header on the mobo. Oh well.... looks like I'll be building a new PC. I'll hang on for black friday