Can you combine ethernet with wifi?

Yo Whats Up

Ok this might be a dumb question but, Ive got ethernet here, however it only reaches 6-7 mb/s most of the time. I've also got unlimited mobile data from my phone operator (it's a monthly fixed sub and it's cheap as hell, honestly idk how they even make money on this), so I can make a hotspot and then my pc with a wifi adapter can catch the hotspot. My mobile data speed is 50 mbit, so 6.25 mb/s. Ofc when I speedtested it, it only reached to about 5 mb/s. But still that's almost double my ethernet speed if I combine em together. But I'm wondering if there's a way, like when u use dual gpus, how do I combine the networking power together?

“Every post deserves a meme„

–Confucius

You cannot combine them like that, best you could with the right software and hardware is have some connections go one way and some the other but you cannot just combine them to get 10+Mbps

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

You cannot combine them like that, best you could with the right software and hardware is have some connections go one way and some the other but you cannot just combine them to get 10+Mbps

I use a lot of programs like discord twitch youtube teamviewer that can drain a lot of speed so it would help a lot if I could route some connections through one and the others through the other, is that possible and how do I do it? Also it's 80+ mbps cuz I was using mb/s not mbps

–Confucius

If you are planning to use your mobile data and your landline there are ways to set up a bonded connection using channel bonding but I wouldnt call it easy.

There is also this but I havent tried that one so I am not sure if it would work for you.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Yo Whats Up said:

I use a lot of programs like discord twitch youtube teamviewer that can drain a lot of speed so it would help a lot if I could route some connections through one and the others through the other, is that possible and how do I do it? Also it's 80+ mbps cuz I was using mb/s not mbps

Speedtest is in megabits (Mbps), internet is sold and advertised in megabits. Megabytes (MBps) is for storage transfer speeds and is 8 bits per byte. You would need some sort of load balancing software or a router that can do policy based routing in most cases or do a lot of static routing locally and force certain IP address ranges or domains to take a fixed path.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

If you are planning to use your mobile data and your landline there are ways to set up a bonded connection using channel bonding but I wouldnt call it easy.

There is also this but I havent tried that one so I am not sure if it would work for you.

I always dislike that video because you need a provider who supports bonding like that, which you're not going to get with a LTE and DSL connection across two providers. The best is something that balances each data stream across different links like LACP but to do what's shown in that video is different.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Unlimited is almost never unlimited. You get like 20GB, and then the speed drops off so much you might as well not have data anyways. Even if that's not the case with your provider, tethering is usually subject to a smaller separate data cap. I've seen providers that offer as little as 5GB of tethering even with "unlimited" data, and then again, your speed drops off a cliff. Again, maybe that's not the the case with your provider, but make sure you read all the fine print.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I did it with my old laptop connected the Ethernet cable and connected to the wifi and then I got another wifi adapter and I connected to my 2.4ghz connection 5ghz connection and my 2.4 ghz extenders connection

54 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Unlimited is almost never unlimited. You get like 20GB, and then the speed drops off so much you might as well not have data anyways. Even if that's not the case with your provider, tethering is usually subject to a smaller separate data cap. I've seen providers that offer as little as 5GB of tethering even with "unlimited" data, and then again, your speed drops off a cliff. Again, maybe that's not the the case with your provider, but make sure you read all the fine print.

Unlike probably you, I don't live in the US 😛 I live in EU, where privacy is priority #1, where ISPs cant donate pitiful amounts of money to politicians and delete net neutrality just like that, WHERE UNLIMITED IS ACTUALLY UNLIMITEDDDDDDD!! Or so I thought, but when u mentioned that I decided to read the 15+ page contract and well, immediately on the page I found "Name of company reserves the right to limit the speed to consumers with abusive use, which is defined as 1) more than 10X the average daily usage of users on this plan, in which case the next day the speed becomes limited to 64 kbps, and 2) more than 10X the average monthly usage of users on this plan, in which case the next month the speed becomes limited to 64 kbps"

But, that still means I prob get to use smth like 50-100 GB daily, which is a decent amount for watching. Let's say 1080p 60 fps stream is 3 mb/s, you can watch 4 hours and 38 mins of that with 50 gb daily. Not bad at all imo. Considering the monhly price of the plan is the same as two one-time 20gb orders. Which is why Im wondering how they make money on this. But I guess the fact u can only get this plan with a 2 year contract and that clause above prob helps.

55 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You would need some sort of load balancing software or a router that can do policy based routing in most cases or do a lot of static routing locally and force certain IP address ranges or domains to take a fixed path.

What "load balancing software" should I use then? I've never heard of that tbh.

This is my router that ISP gave me, will that do? It doesn't have WIfi I think.image.thumb.png.2a619b27f437fd388b468fe26b8fc372.png

–Confucius

1 hour ago, Yo Whats Up said:

Unlike probably you, I don't live in the US 😛 I live in EU, where privacy is priority #1, where ISPs cant donate pitiful amounts of money to politicians and delete net neutrality just like that, WHERE UNLIMITED IS ACTUALLY UNLIMITEDDDDDDD!! Or so I thought, but when u mentioned that I decided to read the 15+ page contract and well, immediately on the page I found "Name of company reserves the right to limit the speed to consumers with abusive use, which is defined as 1) more than 10X the average daily usage of users on this plan, in which case the next day the speed becomes limited to 64 kbps, and 2) more than 10X the average monthly usage of users on this plan, in which case the next month the speed becomes limited to 64 kbps

Yep. U.S. tech policy is garbage. We're still arguing over whether 25Mbps should be a minimum or if that's just too damn fancy for all our pleb citizens and whether being able to watch a video at 720p on your phone counts as "broadband access", so we don't have to run cable to your house.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse