Recommend a non-logitech mouse similar to G502 (in button layout)

martixy

Been using logitech mice for years. My previous G500s died when a button stopped working. Then I got G502. It has an annoying firmware bug that will never be fixed. I kind of learned to work around it. Recently the right mouse button is giving up the ghost (randomly clicking and releasing, or double-clicking). Their "new" GHub software is a universally DESPISED pile of flaming garbage.

I think I am done with logitech.

Problem is, for all the shit hardware and pathetic software, logitech do make good designs. I value having a mouse with extra buttons. More specifically I am looking for a mouse with at least 5-6 extra buttons, 3 of which are on the side (matching G502's 8 extras would be ideal). Definitely not one of those MMO mice with a bloody keypad on the side either. They need to reprogrammable with anything from keyboard letter presses, to macros, to full on scripting. The software needs to support per-application profiles.

And obviously be less shit than logitech (though that shouldn't be a tough bar to clear).

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Honestly, I know you said no Logi but I've been using a g602 for like 4 years and have had no problems with it.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but if the switches on both logitech mice I have fail in the same manner, and the internet reports the same widespread problem for the g602 switches, do you think that inspires confidence?

Every other gaming mouse from every other major brand (except the few that use optical switches) use the same Omron switches that are equally likely to develop the same faults. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

11 hours ago, Middcore said:

Every other gaming mouse from every other major brand (except the few that use optical switches) use the same Omron switches that are equally likely to develop the same faults. 

Well that's... unfortunate.

But at least it means that I might use the good switch from my old G500s to replace the bad one from the new...

I also found this mouse: https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-500

...which it says is no longer available. Just my luck.

20 hours ago, martixy said:

Been using logitech mice for years. My previous G500s died when a button stopped working. Then I got G502. It has an annoying firmware bug that will never be fixed. I kind of learned to work around it. Recently the right mouse button is giving up the ghost (randomly clicking and releasing, or double-clicking). Their "new" GHub software is a universally DESPISED pile of flaming garbage.

I think I am done with logitech.

Problem is, for all the shit hardware and pathetic software, logitech do make good designs. I value having a mouse with extra buttons. More specifically I am looking for a mouse with at least 5-6 extra buttons, 3 of which are on the side (matching G502's 8 extras would be ideal). Definitely not one of those MMO mice with a bloody keypad on the side either. They need to reprogrammable with anything from keyboard letter presses, to macros, to full on scripting. The software needs to support per-application profiles.

And obviously be less shit than logitech (though that shouldn't be a tough bar to clear).

Razor Basilisk Ultimate sound like a no brainer I guess, or Naga if you want even more bottom

I have never used Razor but my friend use their Naga for a long time and enjoy it very much - it definitely didn't last  long though, he solved that by buying a few extra Naga just in case they discontinue it or die off again. 

Imo, for a mouse with many bottoms, it's just inevitably that at least some of them will pose an issue sooner or later. Just go buy the design you like because in the grand scheme of things, nothing will last forever. 

I personally like Logitech for their subtle and almost professional look in their line up, when my G903 finally gave up its life I'll probably try G604 next - that or RoG Chakram, really like the concept although they still have less function when it comes to Logitech.

G-hub is all right for some hardware but absolutely terrible for others, and absolutely a horse shit garbage just a few months ago but I found that it has mature up a bit and not as unbearable to use any more.

3 hours ago, e22big said:

Razor Basilisk

Good suggestion. It looks neat.

Thing is, it's always the main mouse buttons that fail. All the others work fine.

Also... "bottoms"... *snigger*

On 6/25/2021 at 4:57 PM, martixy said:

Good suggestion. It looks neat.

Thing is, it's always the main mouse buttons that fail. All the others work fine.

Also... "bottoms"... *snigger*

I guess it's down to your luck, my G903 main bottoms work fine but some of the DPI is starting to double click (although it's probably a software rather than hardware issue becasue it doesn't register as click in the test software)

My old G603 started double click on the main switch in less than 2 years, it's within warranty but they don't have stocks so I ended up with a refund (a lot less than I've paid for.) I am still a bit salty about that in fact. I draw a much better straw with G903 thanksfully (after immediately go for RMA for like 3 times)