3070 ti won't post. RMA?

tubedelay

New build:

AMD ryzen 5600x

Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 (Wifi)

Corsair vengance ddr4 3200 8gb x2

1tb SSD

3 TB HD

Corsair RM850x PSU (3 years old - pulled out of my last build)

EVGA 3070ti FTW Ultra

PC was up and running Saturday.  Didn't really game on it very long.  Sunday, had been playing CK3 for about 4 hours.  Killed the game from task manager and the screen went out completely.  Held the power button to force the pc off.  When I tried to power up, the lights on the GPU come on but the PC doesn't post.

If I remove the GPU, the PC loads windows (can see it connect to my wifi network).  I installed my RX 580 and the PC boots just fine.  I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and tried with the 3070ti again, still no post.

Tried swapping out the pcie power cables and putting them in new slots on the psu - still the same.

I think there's a chance it "might" be the psu.  When I was swapping out cables/connections at one point it wouldn't turn on at all.  Left it overnight, turned it on in the morning and it powered up.  Going to go pick up a new psu today to try it - but it seems like a long shot.

Anything ideas?  Any signs it's not the gpu? Anything else I should try before starting an RMA on the gpu?

I would try the card in a different PC if that's an option. Take it to your friends house and try in his PC just to make sure it's the card.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I would try the card in a different PC if that's an option. Take it to your friends house and try in his PC just to make sure it's the card.

No friends nearby who have gaming PCs unfortunately.  I could reconnect the PSU to the old pc and try putting it in there, but it only has pcie 2 slots.  Would the card even work enough for a test in one of those?

2 minutes ago, tubedelay said:

No friends nearby who have gaming PCs unfortunately.  I could reconnect the PSU to the old pc and try putting it in there, but it only has pcie 2 slots.  Would the card even work enough for a test in one of those?

It should be enough for a boot up. As long as the card is not under a full load even a weaker PSU should handle it at least briefly for a test like this. Definitely also try it in each PCIe slot.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

It should be enough for a boot up. As long as the card is not under a full load even a weaker PSU should handle it at least briefly for a test like this. Definitely also try it in each PCIe slot.

Ok thanks I'll give that a shot.  Yes i did try in both PCIe slots on the new build - same results.

14 hours ago, WereCat said:

Just in case you were wondering.  Tried the new PSU no good.  Installed on my old AM3 socket machine - same exact behavior.  Went ahead and opened an RMA with EVGA 😞