16,32 or 64gb

Getting a small bonus from work this pay check. And potentially a 2nd next so was looking to upgrade pc.

Currently I'm running

●gamemax kage case
●Tomahawk b450 max
●Ryzen 5 3600
●Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 MHz
● Red dragon rx 5600 xt gpu
●wd 500gb m.2 ssd
●baracuda 2tb hd
●corsair rm750W

Was originally thinking to just add 2x more 8gb ram, but i also want to start playing around with unreal engine and heard from friend who uses it for his job that the more memory the better with unreal. 

Most the time i use pc for gaming, (dark souls, destiny 2, when its released elden ring)

Is it worth swapping the ram i have for 2x 16gb (or even 32gb) then adding a 2nd pair further down the line, or am i just not going to notice any significant difference 

You could also add 2X16GB of the same type you have for a total of 48, and later swap out the 2x8 if needed.

For gaming 16GB is enough in most cases, but experienced better performance in Cities Skylines (heavily modded) with 32 vs 16GB

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

25 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

You could also add 2X16GB of the same type you have for a total of 48, and later swap out the 2x8 if needed.

For gaming 16GB is enough in most cases, but experienced better performance in Cities Skylines (heavily modded) with 32 vs 16GB

I didnt realise you could mix and match. So aslong as same speed 8b and 16b pairs will work together?

5 minutes ago, Bert192 said:

I didnt realise you could mix and match. So aslong as same speed 8b and 16b pairs will work together?

Yes. You can also use different speeds, it will then default to the slowest common speed/timing.

But for best result i recommend using the same(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VENGEANCE-3600MHz-Ryzen-Memory/dp/B082DH1FZR)

just make sure you pot them in alternating slots to keep them fully dual channel. Like slot a1:8gb, a2:16gb, b1:8gb, b2:16gb

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

First start learning unreal engine. It runs totally fine with 16gb even ue5 when I was messing around with it and dumping vfx grade assets I made into it.

Don't upgrade until you try here is the advice. After that do what you want and get 32gb or something.

With that setup i'd spend the money on more high speed storage instead

500gb fills up FAST, especially if it's also your OS drive.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

32GB of ram would be enough for most people. So adding another 16GB 2x8 would be fine, assuming your current 16GB is also 2x8. Don't mix module capacities. There is a chance your new ram won't work at the rated speed from mixing kits though. Even an identical set could easily be using different memory chips. In a perfect world you would sell your ram and buy a 2x16GB kit to guarantee no confliction.

If you think 64GB is a genuine potential in your future, sell your ram and get a 2x16 kit so you can upgrade later if needed. IMO considering the rest of your PC specs its very unlikely you'll need 64GB of ram, but only you know how much ram you use.

32GB is actually recommended now in a mid-high end gaming system.

However, your system is very well balanced, I'd try it out and see if your happy. If your happy keep your $ for now. If you really enjoy tinkering with unreal engine you may decide to upgrade several things later. You'll probably not notice a difference until your quite fluent, and you may never get to a point you'd notice the difference if you start doing other things.

Keep your bonus safe and see how things work out, nothing is stopping you from upgrading later. You may even realize you need a different upgrade and not more ram. If your current system is great for now, than its just a waste of money IMO.

I have not ran out of RAM with 16GB DDR4, gaming, as of now. It is a safe bet. If going overboard 32GB is more than enough.

I edit my posts more often than not