What tools are essential for a pc deep clean?

c0mplexx*

Looking to deep clean my pc after around a year of neglecting it, only tools I can think off are compressed air and anti static brushes, but are there any more tools? maybe some type of wipes?

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

Depends on how dirty it is and how 'deep' this 'deep clean' is.

For example, some people would say cleaning and repasting a graphics card and CPU cooler falls under deep cleaning, which would require - other than the obvious right screwdriver(s), brush(es) and compressed air - also some sort of alcohol solution (or wipes) to clean off the paste and new paste.

An anti-static bracelet is also a generally good idea when working on electronics as it ensured the safety of the components you're handling.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There's nothing magical about it. Compressed air, a microfiber cloth, probably some paper towels and Windex for any tempered glass, and also thermal paste because you might as well repaste everything inside while you're at it.

If you remove all the components from the case, it is safe to vacuum the case out. It's generally a rule of thumb not to use the vacuum on computer components.

Dusty components like graphics cards should be blown out with compressed air and/or wiped down with a dry cloth.

8 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

There's nothing magical about it. Compressed air, a microfiber cloth, probably some paper towels and Windex for any tempered glass, and also thermal paste because you might as well repaste everything inside while you're at it.

If you remove all the components from the case, it is safe to vacuum the case out. It's generally a rule of thumb not to use the vacuum on computer components.

Dusty components like graphics cards should be blown out with compressed air and/or wiped down with a dry cloth.

And if you reaaaalllllly want to scrub it use some electronics safe liquid or oil. I have this stuff used for cleaning circuitboards and I can literally just dump that on and it will be fine. Just a mess to clean up and takes a couple hours to evaporate.

If the system is particularly dirty, for example its been in a smokers environment as well as one with pets, then its possible the grime built up wont come of with just compressed air and a vacuum. If any components are that dirty then you can use electronics cleaner or an IPA solution to help shift the dirt.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

23 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

deep clean my pc

For your consideration...

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

some form of 99% alcohol, contact cleaner spray, lubricant for any moving parts (drive cage arms or swinging windows), naptha fuel to clean tempered glass parts, I usually keep some black nail polish to fix scratched/chipped paint

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Often overlooked but I will not be able to clean a PC without one, an automotive detail brush. If you’re trying to remove dust it’s far more useful than a microfiber towel and compressed air for certain spots. I use one in conjunction with a vacuum and it’s highly effective. 

You can deep clean the mobo by dunking it in a tub of 99% isopropyl alcohol then wait 24 hours for it to dry.

This is great for cleaning the board and solving any problems you have with the board, isopropyl alcohol is really good at cleaning electronics so it doesnt cause damage unless you turn the electronic device on.

16 hours ago, rickeo said:

Often overlooked but I will not be able to clean a PC without one, an automotive detail brush. If you’re trying to remove dust it’s far more useful than a microfiber towel and compressed air for certain spots. I use one in conjunction with a vacuum and it’s highly effective. 

Is this basically isopropyl alcohol but its dry and doesnt leave slight stains on your components?

If so i think ill consider buying one