Some advices to choose between 2 motherboard

Ma4x
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
19 minutes ago, Ma4x said:

Last question,

You think the B450-F Gaming II would be better than the B550-A-Pro then ? 😄

As it is 20 Euros cheaper then yes. Only advantage for B550 is pcie Gen 4 for the gpu and top ssd. Not really that important unless you want a Gen 4 SSD or an RTX 3090. Even then you wouldn't notice any difference in performance for the gpu.

Hi guys,

I am buying a new gaming config and would like your advices to choose between 2 motherboard.

The first one was my initial choice, but I saw there's a good deal on the second one :

1) https://www.amazon.de/MSI-MAG-B550-Tomahawk-Motherboard/dp/B08B4V583Q (144€)

2) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08K96RV9H?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF (90€)

Is there a big difference ? It's not a problem to buy the first one but it would be nice if I can keep a little bit to invest in my future CPU 😄 

Here's my pcpartpicker list if needed :

https://be.pcpartpicker.com/list/R6VKt8

Thanks in advance !

I'd go with Tomahawk.

Tomahawk series on both Intel and AMD platform are like quality badges imo.

Not sure if there are any bad Tomahawk boards.

I edit my posts more often than not

There is a big difference in VRM quality. The Asus B450-F is pretty mediocre in that department. Go with the Tomahawk or even the B550-A PRO if you want something cheaper.

I’d get the B550-A-PRO, I don’t think you need the Tomahawk, the 5800x performs great with this board anyway. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€422.95 @ Megekko) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler  (€49.95 @ Tones.be) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€132.95 @ Bytes At Work) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€84.90 @ Megekko) 
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€53.85 @ Megekko) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€103.85 @ Megekko) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card 
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  (€77.95 @ Tones.be) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€115.00) 
Total: €1041.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-20 14:38 CEST+0200

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

25 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

There is a big difference in VRM quality. The Asus B450-F is pretty mediocre in that department. Go with the Tomahawk or even the B550-A PRO if you want something cheaper.

Thanks for helping ! Do you think the B550 Tomahawk is way better than the B550-A-PRO ? I can afford the Tomahawk, but if you think the difference of performance is not so big.

5 minutes ago, Ma4x said:

Thanks for helping ! Do you think the B550 Tomahawk is way better than the B550-A-PRO ? I can afford the Tomahawk, but if you think the difference of performance is not so big.

If you are planning on getting a ryzen 9 CPU and overclocking it a lot, the tomahawk is a good choice, but otherwise the B550-A is suitable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

That B450-F has very good VRMs so you can go with that if you don't mind not having pci-e 4.0.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

35 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The newer B450-F II is actually pretty good.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii/15.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

14 minutes ago, Ma4x said:

The Asus board is actually fine. I didn't notice it was the II version. The original B450-F is the poor one.

How much is the Asus board compared to the B550-A PRO or Tomahawk ?

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

The Asus board is actually fine. I didn't notice it was the II version. The original B450-F is the poor one.

How much is the Asus board compared to the B550-A PRO or Tomahawk ?

Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming II : 90€

B550-A Pro : 110€

B550 Tomahawk : 150€

What should be the best for you ? It's not a problem for me to buy the Tomahawk, but If not necessary I can invest in something else 😉 

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If you are planning on getting a ryzen 9 CPU and overclocking it a lot, the tomahawk is a good choice, but otherwise the B550-A is suitable.

I think I'll keep this new configuration for like 3-4 years and I don't plan in buying a ryzen 9 or overclocking

3 minutes ago, Ma4x said:

Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming II : 90€

B550-A Pro : 110€

B550 Tomahawk : 150€

What should be the best for you ? It's not a problem for me to buy the Tomahawk, but If not necessary I can invest in something else 😉 

I think I'll keep this new configuration for like 3-4 years and I don't plan in buying a ryzen 9 or overclocking

I would probably take the Asus board then. The Tomahawk is solid as well, but not sure it is worth paying an extra 60 Euros just to have pcie gen 4. 

15 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I would probably take the Asus board then. The Tomahawk is solid as well, but not sure it is worth paying an extra 60 Euros just to have pcie gen 4. 

Last question,

19 minutes ago, Ma4x said:

Last question,

As it is 20 Euros cheaper then yes. Only advantage for B550 is pcie Gen 4 for the gpu and top ssd. Not really that important unless you want a Gen 4 SSD or an RTX 3090. Even then you wouldn't notice any difference in performance for the gpu.