3d printing - extruder skipping issue.

2DPrinter

Printer: Monoprice Select Mini Pro 

Filament: Hatchbox Black PLA 1.75mm 1kg

So I have been printing off and on for a while but haven't been able to fix my extruder for my printer that is skipping.

I don't think the main issue is that it is too close to the bed, because I can manually extrude and it still skips (like, quite a bit too, not just every once and a while). 

I tried taking out the PTFA tube (I think that's the name...) that goes into my nozzle and then with my hand pushed a bit of filament I cut off through the nozzle. It seemed to come out just fine and if there was a nozzle clog directly in the nozzle, that should have taken care of it. Still skipping when put the tube back on and manually extruded. 

I tried another PLA roll (older and probably has soaked in moister FYI but still something else to try). Still skipping. 

Could it be a clog higher up in like the barrel or something like that? Is the extruder becoming to weak? Or overheating? 

Any help or ideas? 

Could need to tighten up the idler on the extruder, otherwise you're probably printing too fast for a given nozzle temp. Also check if the hobbed gear is filled with filament shavings. One thing you can try is to push or pull material in and out of the material while the steppers are on, but not moving. If the feeder has a good grip on the material, it should be very difficult to move the filament in the extrusion path by hand.

ASU

11 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Could need to tighten up the idler on the extruder, otherwise you're probably printing too fast for a given nozzle temp. Also check if the hobbed gear is filled with filament shavings. One thing you can try is to push or pull material in and out of the material while the steppers are on, but not moving. If the feeder has a good grip on the material, it should be very difficult to move the filament in the extrusion path by hand.

Oh yeah whoops forgot to mention I have messed around with the idler tension and it didn't do anything. 

Also, I have printed extremely slow (5-10mms) and pretty sure it still skips. 

Could try those last 2 things, thank you!