ASUS STRIX X570-F - Dead LAN port?

Nilsen

Hey.

I just built this system. My first AMD build.

ASUS STRIX X570-F

AMD 5800X

RTX 3080 Ti

32GB 3600 MHz CL16

Corsair HX850W.

WD SN850 1TB SSD.

So the Windows installation went fine, I had ethernet connected during the installation and I did notice that the installer was unable to connect to internet, so I had to select the "I dont have internet" option.

After booting into Windows I checked device manager and noticed that I couldn't find a network card at all. Only 8x "WAN Miniport".

Checked the ASUS website for the drivers for my network card, found out "Intel I211 LAN driver V12.18.9.7" and when I try to launch the "AsusSetup" it nothing happens at all...

I have tried to restore the BIOS to defaults, I've also updated to the lastest BIOS and made sure "Intel LAN Controller" is Enabled.

Thanks for any help 🙂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Sir Asvald said:

Better to download the LAN driver from Intel directly.:

Yes I've done that. But as long as there is no Intel anything in my device manager, none of the drivers will install. Nothing happens when I run the installer.

4 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

Yes I've done that. But as long as there is no Intel anything in my device manager, none of the drivers will install. Nothing happens when I run the installer.

Okay. Open Device manager and click this button highlighted below. It will scan for new hardware.

device.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

7 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

What do you mean? downloading the drivers from intel should work..

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

Okay. Open Device manager and click this button highlighted below. It will scan for new hardware.

Alright, doesn't seem like anything happened.

My device manager looks like this, it's in norwegian.

The NETGEAR adapter is a WiFi dongle I'm using now just ot get online.

linus1.PNG.f5baa91f4f8d8de1a1e6fa6ccdcdeea9.PNG

1 minute ago, Nilsen said:

Alright, doesn't seem like anything happened.

My device manager looks like this, it's in norwegian.

The NETGEAR adapter is a WiFi dongle I'm using now just ot get online.

Okay, but did you try the drivers from Intel? They should, if not. Then you will need to send your motherboard back for a new one as yours is faulty.

I have yet to see Windows fail to detect any modern networking card...

Are you sure you haven't disabled it in BIOS under "Integrated something"

Just now, Sir Asvald said:

What do you mean? downloading the drivers from intel should work..

I can download them just fine, but they will not install.

The first one you linked just closes half a second after I click install.

The second one you linked just says my windows version is wrong.

One thing tho, I did create the bootable USB drive with MediaCreationTool from Microsoft. I did that on my old PC with an 7700k.

Does that installer somehow bake-in some of the drivers from the PC you make it on? Or doesn't that matter?

2 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

I can download them just fine, but they will not install.

The first one you linked just closes half a second after I click install.

The second one you linked just says my windows version is wrong.

One thing tho, I did create the bootable USB drive with MediaCreationTool from Microsoft. I did that on my old PC with an 7700k.

Does that installer somehow bake-in some of the drivers from the PC you make it on? Or doesn't that matter?

Sorry, I meant installing*

Okay, in the search menu type in "winver" and can you tell me what version of windows you have.

Should be something like this:

c1154353e6c6aaff52e46976a6de2142.png

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I have yet to see Windows fail to detect any modern networking card...

Are you sure you haven't disabled it in BIOS under "Integrated something"

Hello and thanks for the reply.

So I did restore my BIOS to default after updating to the lastest one.

Advanced -> Onboard Deviced Configuration -> Intel LAN Controller: Enabled

Intel LAN OPROM: Disabled

Advanced -> Network Stack Configuration -> tried Enabled & Disabled

Is there anything else in there that can make my network card be completely missing from device manager?

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

Sorry, I meant installing*

Okay, in the search menu type in "winver" and can you tell me what version of windows you have.

image.png

Using the NETGEAR WiFi Dongle I did get all availible Windows Updates.

I think this must either be BIOS related, or my networkcard is dead...

4 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

image.png

3 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

Well this all makes sense, your version of Windows came out this may. The drivers that you're trying to install were released on the 12th of May. So you wait for the drivers through windows update.

OR you can download an older version of Windows. 

6 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

If you want to reinstall windows, follow this guide:

https://pureinfotech.com/download-older-iso-windows-10/. Make sure you choose Windows 20H1

Shouldn't my network card at least show up in device manager regardless of me having drivers installed anyway?

Given that the BIOS is all good.

7 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

Shouldn't my network card at least show up in device manager regardless of me having drivers installed anyway?

Since you've tried to install the drivers and they both did not work. My option theory is that Windows doesn't have a driver available for your network card

the device seems to be entirely missing from windows (no "unknown device" either)

give this a go:

- DISABLE the ethernet device in bios

- boot into windows

- conclude that it is not there, obviously

- ENABLE the ethernet device again in bios

- boot into windows again

- see if it magically realised there's ethernet.

if that didnt work, i'd RMA the board.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the device seems to be entirely missing from windows (no "unknown device" either)

give this a go:

- DISABLE the ethernet device in bios

- boot into windows

- conclude that it is not there, obviously

- ENABLE the ethernet device again in bios

- boot into windows again

- see if it magically realised there's ethernet.

if that didnt work, i'd RMA the board.

I thought the same thing. But when he tried to install the drivers directly from Intel, it said his OS is not compatible with the driver..

41 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

You can try to load Ubuntu from a USB and see if it detects the network card.

Did a last effort on installing Windows 20H1 with Rufus. Exactly the same thing, nothing in device manager, none of the drivers will install no matter what.

I'm RMA-ing the board.

16 minutes ago, Nilsen said:

Did a last effort on installing Windows 20H1 with Rufus. Exactly the same thing, nothing in device manager, none of the drivers will install no matter what.

I'm RMA-ing the board.

That's a shame. 😞