I found a good deal on a used workstation which includes my desired gpu, a Quadro p4000. Said pc is a Dell precision t5500 with aftermarket parts, I only want the gpu & power supply but I believe in using what I have before spending.

Therefore, if I try to flip the parts I don't want, the case is biggest, least desirable, and most expensive to ship. My ideal x570 board is the MSI Creator EATX, if I get lucky with an affordable Threadripper, those boards are also EATX.

Will the t5500 case fit an EATX?

Would it be cheaper to make an EATX fit in the franken case or simply build a case from scratch?

Budget (including currency): $50 (for case mod or construction)

Unless there's another Precision T5500 vastly different than what I'm finding on Google, I highly doubt that you can get an eATX board inside the case. It doesn't conform to any kind of standard. 

This is what the stock board for a T5500 looks like:

32849119199-1363035-1.jpg

And this is what one looks like assembled:

51shUqVWalL._AC_.jpg

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Unless there's another Precision T5500 vastly different than what I'm finding on Google, I highly doubt that you can get an eATX board inside the case. It doesn't conform to any kind of standard. 

This is what the stock board for a T5500 looks like:

32849119199-1363035-1.jpg

And this is what one looks like assembled:

51shUqVWalL._AC_.jpg

So the one I'm looking at is even busier inside with a motherboard riser, dual core system & a more recent SSD added. I figured it wouldn't line up exactly, but am I looking at drilling some holes or is the case unusable?

10 hours ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

So the one I'm looking at is even busier inside with a motherboard riser, dual core system & a more recent SSD added. I figured it wouldn't line up exactly, but am I looking at drilling some holes or is the case unusable?

Can you post a pic of the model you're looking at?

That whole... *waves hand* ...thing going on over on the left with the cage for what I assume is some sort of CPU cooler duct and a hard drive right above the RAM slots make me think you'd practically have to dismantle this thing to put any conventional parts in it. 

Considering you can get a perfectly decent case that should support an eATX board (stipulating that there is no actual standard for eATX besides "Bigger than ATX") like the Lian Li Lancool 215 for like $80, I don't think it's remotely worth your trouble to try to force the Dell enclosure to work. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 hours ago, Middcore said:

Can you post a pic of the model you're looking at?

That whole... *waves hand* ...thing going on over on the left with the cage for what I assume is some sort of CPU cooler duct and a hard drive right above the RAM slots make me think you'd practically have to dismantle this thing to put any conventional parts in it. 

Considering you can get a perfectly decent case that should support an eATX board (stipulating that there is no actual standard for eATX besides "Bigger than ATX") like the Lian Li Lancool 215 for like $80, I don't think it's remotely worth your trouble to try to force the Dell enclosure to work. 

Here's the sale picture, it's not a bad system (if you can live with ddr3 ram). Talked the guy down to less than a used quadro p4000, just trying to figure out what I can use from it besides the Quadro & maybe some fans. Personally I like dell cases, this one not so much but I have a Dremel, a drill, & spray paint 🤷

Edit** added dimensions of the x570 eatx in question, MSI Creator & the specs of the Dell precision t5500 case

Screenshot_20210617-093819-410.png

Screenshot_20210617-100937-641.png

Screenshot_20210617-100829-631.png

Edited by Beat_my_Laptop