Sprayed isopropyl alcohol directly on the screen once

BornOrca

Hi as the title suggests I was an idiot and sprayed it directly onto the screen, I wiped it away instantly and I only sprayed it once.

Fortunately when I switched my monitor back on I noticed no water damage. Could've this done any long term damage to my monitor and cause a stain later or am I in the clear?

I know I'm an idiot I should've checked online earlier 😞

Spraying isopropyl / ethanol is fine, it evaporates very quickly and as long as you didn't literally drown a display with it, no damage would occur. Just try to use a solution (70-90%), not pure alcohol, and of course just water or other stuff like a acetone, vinegar or ammonium (and solutions containing them like window cleaning agents) are off limits.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure your in the clear. it should just evaporate and cause no damage

Just now, Juular said:

Spraying isopropyl / ethanol is fine, it evaporates very quickly and as long as you didn't literally drown a display with it, no damage would occur. Just try to use a solution, not pure alcohol, and of course just water or other stuff like a acetone or ammonium (and it's solutions like window cleaning agents) are off limits.

ok great. I literally sprayed it onto the screen once and wiped instantly whilst it was off, and realised I shouldn't really spray directly on the screen lol. Usually I just use a tiny bit of tap water on a microfibre cloth but I wanted to try something different as it causes streaks. 

Just now, HyperPalBuddy said:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure your in the clear. it should just evaporate and cause no damage

Ok great, pretty sure its the 99% stuff so that's good news.

I routinely spray cleaners directly on my monitor screen to clean them.  As well as my TV's.

Isopropyl, even the 70% stuff is perfectly fine.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Fun fact:

If you take a large glass full of 90% (or higher) isopropyl, and throw in an electronic device and leave it?

Nothing bad will happen, as long as there is no electricity involved.  (AKA No batteries)

Just always let it dry before use.  

12 minutes ago, Juular said:

Spraying isopropyl / ethanol is fine, it evaporates very quickly and as long as you didn't literally drown a display with it, no damage would occur. Just try to use a solution (70-90%), not pure alcohol, and of course just water or other stuff like a acetone, vinegar or ammonium (and solutions containing them like window cleaning agents) are off limits.

As long as the device wasn't powered on, bathing it in alcohol wouldn't hurt it. In actuality most mass produced PCBs are given a very thorough wash in IPA multiple times during the process. Its important to remove flux from the PCB when a robot is doing SMD soldering, even a small smudge can throw the robot off and result in misaligned components.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

As long as the device wasn't powered on, bathing it in alcohol wouldn't hurt it. In actuality most mass produced PCBs are given a very thorough wash in IPA multiple times during the process. Its important to remove flux from the PCB when a robot is doing SMD soldering, even a small smudge can throw the robot off and result in misaligned components.

oh really? I heard before online that alcohol can damage that plastic coating on the monitor screen, tbh that could be people scaremongering you into buying useless stuff you dont need XD.

Cheers for the advice ❤️

4 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

oh really? I heard before online that alcohol can damage that plastic coating on the monitor screen, tbh that could be people scaremongering you into buying useless stuff you dont need XD.

Cheers for the advice ❤️

That part is correct, strong alcohol can indeed damage some types of plastics (damage isn't really correct, it more makes them brittle and easier to damage in other ways) but its not going to happen when cleaning the display once a month. It takes months/years of constant applications before you get a problem.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, BornOrca said:

Cheers for the advice ❤️

Yes, that can happen and I'm honestly surprised no one mentioned it yet before you did.

Alcohol can, and will, damage the coating on a screen. Especially if it has some sort of anti-glare coating on it since that's basically just sprayed on and not built-into the plastic (like with the various coatings you can have on prescription glasses).
That is, if it's a matte screen and not one covered with glass. There's a reason why TVs usually come with a warning that says "do not use alcohol or ammonia for cleaning".

If the display is glass covered, like your phone, there's zero issue.

If it's not, wiping it off right away without letting it sit on it for too long is ok, don't do it again. You can use alcohol, if it's further diluted. Not "pure" 99% or 70%. Drop to 50% alcohol or even lower like 25% by adding water.
Or just don't use alcohol and only use nothing but plain water, which is more than enough for screen, just a dab (wring it out) on a microfiber cloth and wipe the smudges off.

If they doesn't come off because you're some sort of monster who keeps touching the screen with greasy fingers, adding a single drop of Dawn dish soap in like, 500ml of water, should be plenty as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

its not damaging to electronics however it is to certain plastics. Avoid using it one screen surfaces.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |