Monitor suggestions for text

spotnyk

Greetings,

I'll be brief 🙂

• I'm a developer
  • Already got my gaming monitors
  • Have five monitors, two of which are just for comms/research (read: text)
  • Had to trade aforementioned two 1440p monitors to my wife in exchange for her 1080p monitors
  • The 1080p is killing my eyes due to unclear text

EDIT: Must have VESA support

Looking for cheapish 27"+ 1440p monitors where refresh rate and color accuracy are of no concern (within reason).

Suggestions?

Thanks

5800X | ROG Strix B550-E | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 OCX Hybrid

NZXT Kraken X63 280mm | O11D-XL ROG | Corsair RMX 850

G513 CARBON | MX Master 3 | Audioengine D1 | Bose IE2 | Sennheiser HD-600

Shure SM7B | Tascam US-2x2

Any special requirements? USB hub, pivot, height adjustable, small borders for having multiple screens next to each other, curved?

I would go with a VA panel, they're usually cheaper and the higher contrast ratio compared to IPS makes text a little easier to read, plus no IPS glow if you like inverted colors for coding (black background, white text). But any IPS should also be fine and they're usually a little easier to find.

The standard brands for productivity Monitors are Dell, HP, Lenovo, Philips, and to some extend Samsung and LG. I'm really liking my Philips ultrawide, but really any of these should suit you just fine. 

What aspect of your current monitors make the text not legible. Do they have non square subpixels or is the text you are reading not scaleable?

Just curious, what size was the 1080p monitors?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

If text clarity is your concern, I definitely wouldn't exceed 27” at 1440p. Anything bigger like 32" needs to be 4K or you'll still have issues.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Any special requirements? USB hub, pivot, height adjustable, small borders for having multiple screens next to each other, curved?

I would go with a VA panel, they're usually cheaper and the higher contrast ratio compared to IPS makes text a little easier to read, plus no IPS glow if you like inverted colors for coding (black background, white text). But any IPS should also be fine and they're usually a little easier to find.

The standard brands for productivity Monitors are Dell, HP, Lenovo, Philips, and to some extend Samsung and LG. I'm really liking my Philips ultrawide, but really any of these should suit you just fine. 

Mainly just VESA support, as all of them are mounted (added this to the OP). My two primary displays are ultrawide (Acer X34 / LG 34UC80-B), but my side monitors are not (just not enough space). So I'm looking for 16:9/10 primarily.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

What aspect of your current monitors make the text not legible. Do they have non square subpixels or is the text you are reading not scaleable?

Not sure. I've improved it a tad by messing with the panel sharpness, but for the most part at normal size I can see rgb sub-pixels (slightly, but enough). Also dropping text size down to the scale I'm used to gets almost unreadable.

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Just curious, what size was the 1080p monitors?

The 1080p monitors are 24" (my previous 1440p were 27")

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

If text clarity is your concern, I definitely wouldn't exceed 27” at 1440p. Anything bigger like 32" needs to be 4K or you'll still have issues.

Agreed. I'm really shooting for 27". I included + because if there was a really amazing deal on a slightly bigger one, I likely wouldn't pass it up.

5800X | ROG Strix B550-E | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 OCX Hybrid

4 minutes ago, spotnyk said:

Not sure. I've improved it a tad by messing with the panel sharpness, but for the most part at normal size I can see rgb sub-pixels (slightly, but enough). Also dropping text size down to the scale I'm used to gets almost unreadable.

If you set the monitor to monochrome do you still see the rgb subpixels? Might help to narrow it down to a monitor issue or a windows antialiasing issue

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

If you set the monitor to monochrome do you still see the rgb subpixels? Might help to narrow it down to a monitor issue or a windows antialiasing issue

I can still see them slightly. I assumed I was primarily experiencing a symptom of the antialiasing process with limited pixel density, which is why I am looking to increase that. I went through windows ClearType tuning stuff on this monitor before posting and was only able to achieve a very slight (if any) improvement.