WHICH IS BETTER?

Budget (including currency): Around $1200 AUD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Fortnite, Gmod, GTA V, CSGO, and COD warzone

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So I have made a list for my friend, I think it is a well done list but in this case another friend has made her a pc list as well and I'm just here to compare them and get to notes to see which one is better and more cost effective.

The budget is $1200 but cheaper is better and She would like RGB in the system.

Already have the GPU.

List 1: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yWVqz7

List 2: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/b2bVvf

Let me know which one is better 🙂

List 1 for me.

RYZEN 7 3700X / MSI X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI / ZOTAC 3070 TWIN EDGE OC / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB @ 3200 / SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 / WD BLACK SN850 M.2 / GIGABYTE P750GM 80+ GOLD / MSI MAG FORGE 100R / MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 

Just now, Wayupthere said:

List 1 for me.

thanks heaps if you could give reasons thatd be good,

cheers,

Elijah

8 minutes ago, YoLige said:

if you could give reasons

1 has the better cpu imho, plus for the second one, that NZXT case is horrendous when it comes to airflow. And personal preference a 550 over 450 board for the PCIe 4.0 support, although that may or may not be of interest to her.

RYZEN 7 3700X / MSI X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI / ZOTAC 3070 TWIN EDGE OC / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB @ 3200 / SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 / WD BLACK SN850 M.2 / GIGABYTE P750GM 80+ GOLD / MSI MAG FORGE 100R / MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 

Just now, Wayupthere said:

1 has the better cpu imho, plus for the second one, that NZXT case is horrendous when it comes to airflow. And personal preference a 550 over 450 board for the PCIe 4.0 support, although that may or may not be of interest to her.

Yeah understood, i somewhat thought that but this set it in concrete, and the PCIe being 4.0 is a plus and would be better overall

Thanks heaps

2 minutes ago, Wayupthere said:

The only change I'd make would be get a crucial p1 drive. Better drive for about the same price. List 1 all the way here.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

The only change I'd make would be get a crucial p1 drive. Better drive for about the same price. List 1 all the way here.

Thanks heaps, ill have a look at it, i also had the thought that on list 2 the cpu cooler is massive

Just now, YoLige said:

Thanks heaps, ill have a look at it, i also had the thought that on list 2 the cpu cooler is massive

It is. It is a good cooler but so far beyond overkill for a 3600. That and you can get about the same performance (1-2c difference) for half the price with a sycthe fuma 2.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It is. It is a good cooler but so far beyond overkill for a 3600. That and you can get about the same performance (1-2c difference) for half the price with a scythe fuma 2.

I thought so, she said that her friend knew a lot about pcs and what not but I'm starting to think he doesn't know as much as I originally thought.

Just now, YoLige said:

I thought so, she said that her friend knew a lot about pcs and what not but I'm starting to think he doesn't know as much as I originally thought.

The second list is whack.

One of the best coolers inside one of the worst airflow cases.

The only thing better in that list part from the overkill cooler is the ssd but it is smaller. You don't even need those speeds anyway as there are no games using that as of right now (can't even max out a simple sata ssd yet even). The only reason to get a fast nvme drive is to use it as a scratch disk right now.

So technically if a sata ssd is cheaper and you are down for it the mx500 or wd blue ssds are amazing drives and usually cheaper.

The second list is whack.

One of the best coolers inside one of the worst airflow cases.

The only thing better in that list part from the overkill cooler is the ssd but it is smaller. You don't even need those speeds anyway as there are no games using that as of right now (can't even max out a simple sata ssd yet even). The only reason to get a fast nvme drive is to use it as a scratch disk right now.

So technically if a sata ssd is cheaper and you are down for it the mx500 or wd blue ssds are amazing drives and usually cheaper.

ill look into it but most likely just stick with the crucial P1, idk how to tell her the first list is bad, I don't want to sound like I'm undermining her friend

1 minute ago, YoLige said:

ill look into it but most likely just stick with the crucial P1, idk how to tell her the first list is bad, I don't want to sound like I'm undermining her friend

The first list is good? The second one is bad.

I mean it is best to let them know so they can improve. Basically just say you asked on a tech forum and got some advice (I mean the first list you provided is better and it is not fully true that we helped make it but it is to soften the blow).

Then explain we made some alterations and got you a pc that is better for the same budget by changing some parts around, removing overkill stuff and replacing it with good deals.

If they don't accept it that is on them not you. You did the right thing here and asked for advice from multiple sources like anyone should always do to prevent getting well bad advice.

both are crap 

2nd is a joke ... uses a cheaper CPU but then adds a cooler almost as expensive as the cpu. 

Both configurations use an overkill motherboard for the cpus chosen and purpose of system .. she's not gonna do overclocking on that system. 

here's another suggestion

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2sMynL

Reasoning

The 3700x is almost as powerful as 5600x in those games, and has 8 cores which may be useful for streaming and other crap. It also comes with the higher end stock cooler with RGB on it, so more bling and no need to buy separate cooler.  She can always buy one if the stock one is deemed inadequate or too noisy.

You could probably find it cheaper on amazon com or whatever.

The b550m aorus pro is matx and plenty for a single video card system and has rgb galore (2 addressable led strip headers, 2 rgb headers ) and good vrm and good layout and good features (all kinds of usb connectors on the back, bios flashback etc)

Not having separate cooler enlarges the budget for storage, so she gets 1 TB for operating system and a few games, and the 4 TB for dumping movies and music and dumping what she records (if she streams or whatever)

The case is mATX and has big addressable rgbs fans in front and mesh in front so should be decent airflow .. case choice is subjective

image.thumb.png.f319b769c71601fa273732cfed899eb9.png

The first list is good? The second one is bad.

I mean it is best to let them know so they can improve. Basically just say you asked on a tech forum and got some advice (I mean the first list you provided is better and it is not fully true that we helped make it but it is to soften the blow).

Then explain we made some alterations and got you a pc that is better for the same budget by changing some parts around, removing overkill stuff and replacing it with good deals.

If they don't accept it that is on them not you. You did the right thing here and asked for advice from multiple sources like anyone should always do to prevent getting well bad advice.

Yeah true to that, thank you heaps and ill let her know and also thank you again for the advice too. yeah when I've got questions about part lists and whatever i always ask on here

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

both are crap 

2nd is a joke ... uses a cheaper CPU but then adds a cooler almost as expensive as the cpu. 

Both configurations use an overkill motherboard for the cpus chosen and purpose of system .. she's not gonna do overclocking on that system. 

here's another suggestion

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2sMynL

Reasoning

The 3700x is almost as powerful as 5600x in those games, and has 8 cores which may be useful for streaming and other crap. It also comes with the higher end stock cooler with RGB on it, so more bling and no need to buy separate cooler.  She can always buy one if the stock one is deemed inadequate or too noisy.

You could probably find it cheaper on amazon com or whatever.

The b550m aorus pro is matx and plenty for a single video card system and has rgb galore (2 addressable led strip headers, 2 rgb headers ) and good vrm and good layout and good features (all kinds of usb connectors on the back, bios flashback etc)

Not having separate cooler enlarges the budget for storage, so she gets 1 TB for operating system and a few games, and the 4 TB for dumping movies and music and dumping what she records (if she streams or whatever)

The case is mATX and has big addressable rgbs fans in front and mesh in front so should be decent airflow .. case choice is subjective

image.thumb.png.f319b769c71601fa273732cfed899eb9.png

I see where you are coming from but from what I've heard 5600x is a fine choice for whatever you want, and I'm not sure what you mean about over kill mobo they both use the same chipset and is cheaper than the one you chose. This is talking about list 1. also I don't think she necessarily needs a 1 TB NVME drive, 500gb should be fine for what she wants to do. I dont doubt that you know what you are talking about but i just want bit more of an explanation.

9 minutes ago, YoLige said:

I see where you are coming from but from what I've heard 5600x is a fine choice for whatever you want, and I'm not sure what you mean about over kill mobo they both use the same chipset and is cheaper than the one you chose. This is talking about list 1. also I don't think she necessarily needs a 1 TB NVME drive, 500gb should be fine for what she wants to do. I dont doubt that you know what you are talking about but i just want bit more of an explanation.

For gaming a 5600x is flat out better that is true but it seems to also be more expensive?

Might as well get a 1tb drive just to be on the safe side if budget allows.

True that you don't need a 750w psu but I assumed a future gpu upgrade would happen and that is why the 1070 is getting reused?

For gaming a 5600x is flat out better that is true but it seems to also be more expensive?

Might as well get a 1tb drive just to be on the safe side if budget allows.

True that you don't need a 750w psu but I assumed a future gpu upgrade would happen and that is why the 1070 is getting reused?

yeah that's why I have chosen the 5600x because of its performance with gaming. do you mean more expensive than the 3600 or the 3700x? cause its cheaper than the 3700x, the 1TB is fine yeah. also for the 750w psu that's what i had in mind plus its $10 cheaper, why not aha and its been rated to be very good by people that I've talked to on the forum.

5 minutes ago, YoLige said:

yeah that's why I have chosen the 5600x because of its performance with gaming. do you mean more expensive than the 3600 or the 3700x? cause its cheaper than the 3700x, the 1TB is fine yeah. also for the 750w psu that's what i had in mind plus its $10 cheaper, why not aha and its been rated to be very good by people that I've talked to on the forum.

The D.F. is a higher end unit than the rmx so no reason not to get it. Get the 5600x if it is cheaper. Even easier to cool with a hyper 212 cooler :p.

The D.F. is a higher end unit than the rmx so no reason not to get it. Get the 5600x if it is cheaper. Even easier to cool with a hyper 212 cooler :p.

yeah that's all stuff I took into account when putting the part list together.

5 minutes ago, YoLige said:

yeah that's all stuff I took into account when putting the part list together.

Didn't notice you changed list 1 already. My bad.

Didn't notice you changed list 1 already. My bad.

no worries haha