Upgraded CPU and Mobo to Ryzen 5 5600x and Asus ROG Strix B550-A Gaming. Using the same MSI 1070 GPU, but I'm getting no video output with the 5600x.

OfficerDaddy
Go to solution Solved by Eighjan,
4 minutes ago, OfficerDaddy said:

Okay, so when I upgrade to a 3070 will I be having the same issue or?

If you go into the BIOS & set the PCI-EX mode (however it labels itself, in your BIOS) to Auto, it will detect what the graphics card tells it, rather than the graphics card being told to operate in a mode it isn't build for.

As a 3070 is a Gen 4 card, the BIOS being preset to 4 won't be a problem, but a Gen 4 preset will take a huge dump on anything older you use in the meantime.

Auto is best, all round.

Hey guys, I was having issues getting video output yesterday when I upgraded my mobo and cpu to a Ryzen 5600x and Asus rog strix B550-a. The gpu I was using was a 1070 and I could not get any video, and the q-led light for vga on the mobo was lit.
Anyways, I tried using my gf's 1650 super and I was able to get a video output. Figured out if I enabled CSM in bios I could use my 1070.
Can someone explain what exactly the CSM does, and why a 1650 super works but not a 1070? I'm picking up a 3070 soon and I'm just wondering if that gpu will also be affected. Cheers.

11 minutes ago, OfficerDaddy said:

Hey guys, I was having issues getting video output yesterday when I upgraded my mobo and cpu to a Ryzen 5600x and Asus rog strix B550-a. The gpu I was using was a 1070 and I could not get any video, and the q-led light for vga on the mobo was lit.
Anyways, I tried using my gf's 1650 super and I was able to get a video output. Figured out if I enabled CSM in bios I could use my 1070.
Can someone explain what exactly the CSM does, and why a 1650 super works but not a 1070? I'm picking up a 3070 soon and I'm just wondering if that gpu will also be affected. Cheers.

Sounds like (another) PCI_EX mode default that needs to be Auto rather than a specific Generation (typically 4)...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

20 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Sounds like (another) PCI_EX mode default that needs to be Auto rather than a specific Generation (typically 4)...

4 minutes ago, OfficerDaddy said:

If you go into the BIOS & set the PCI-EX mode (however it labels itself, in your BIOS) to Auto, it will detect what the graphics card tells it, rather than the graphics card being told to operate in a mode it isn't build for.

As a 3070 is a Gen 4 card, the BIOS being preset to 4 won't be a problem, but a Gen 4 preset will take a huge dump on anything older you use in the meantime.

Auto is best, all round.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Auto is best, all round.

Thanks, will try this out!