Asus PG32UQX: After A Few Days

jasonvp

Mine arrived on Wednesday morning via FedEx, but I had this annoying thing called "work" to deal with.  I did get it all mounted up on my handy Ergotron HX monitor stand (with quick-release mount).  The following morning after cleaning the desk up a bit, I took this shot:

IMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.03cde530e2caecacf06c6a6fb8db8f02.jpeg

Formerly I had a single "workstation" on my desk, at the corner itself.  Three 32" 4K displays connected to my Mac Pro (for work, etc).  I'd leave two of the 32" displays in place and lift the center one off its HX mount; replaced with my old 27" Asus PG27U[Q].  This obviously looked a little odd: two 32" displays flanking a 27".  But I didn't care because I was only staring at the central screen.  Last weekend I decided to split the workstations so I have two separate ones: work on the left, play on the right.

As noted, my previous display was the first 4K/144 display, the Asus PG27U.  This was one of the first shipments of the PG27UQ, and for some reason they goofed(?) and didn't add the "Q" to the end of the name.  I never did figure that one out, but it's the same, exact display.  Anyway, as stated: I've been fragging with that display since its launch in summer, 2018.  Generally speaking, the games I play have absolutely no problem pushing 4K/140 (soft-limited) when I drop certain GPU-computationally-expensive tasks like AA and AO.  Further, the games I've been playing have all had support for SLI, and I've run with SLI since it was a thing.

The concern with the PG27UQ and its ilk is that, to my aging eyes, the PPI of 27" and 4K combined is too much.  I'm in my late 40s now and it's getting more and more difficult to really see things as clearly as I'd like while playing.  That's caused me to back the games off to 1440p, and at that point: the PG27UQ is just a waste of money.  Younger eyes won't have that same issue.

Anyway, the big guy solves all of that for me.  At typical desktop depths, I feel 32" is the perfect size for a 4K display, whether fragging or working.  Over the course of the last couple of days, I've run through some game play tests.  Please note that I don't run monitor benchmarks, as I simply don't care.  Really: I don't.  I care about the experience in using the thing, not testing it.  So if you're looking for some results of tests or any such thing, look elsewhere.  I don't care. 🙂

Rainbow Six: Siege - SDR-only title.  Ubi's Vulkan version of their (very old) Anvil Next engine underpinning Siege is actually... fucking good!  The DX11 version of the engine supports SLI fine, but the Vulkan version doesn't.  However, that doesn't really matter because even with one of my OC'd 2080Ti cards, it's able to cook along at 4K/140.  Again: AA/AO both disabled.  I've been playing Siege in 4K for about three years, and so I was used to how it looks at that resolution.  The increase in size was immensely helpful though.

Battlefield 1 - HDR title.  Dice's older Frostbite engine under BF1 fully supports SLI, and does so really well.  So getting a high frame rate at 4K (limited to 140) is easy-mode.  it's difficult to adequately explain in words just how good a game looks when you enable HDR.  Everything just POPS more.  And Dice's work with HDR is stunning, to say the least.  This "old" game does 4K/HDR real damned well.  Plinking with a sniper rifle in BF1 was quite a bit easier with the larger screen size.

COD/Warzone - HDR title.  Inf Ward's HDR work with the new engine under COD isn't nearly as good as Dice's.  The game does look good in HDR, but it doesn't pop quite as much as BF1 does.  The pisser is that this DX12 title has no support for mGPU, and it's unlikely it ever will.  Pushing 4K with it on a single 2080Ti is a stretch, but doable.  The answer: steer hard into their new DLSS implementation.  On "Performance" mode in 4K with AO set to "Static objects only" and everything else maxed out, I'm able to keep the frame rate cooking along at 120+.  Rarely, if ever, do I see 130 or 140 though.  Reflex does keep it capped a bit just to prevent input lag.  But overall it's just too much for the 2000-series card.  Pretty.  Easy to see things.  Careful when panning across the sun because IT'S FUCKING BRIGHT on that screen.

Outside of that: leaving HDR running on the Windows desktop is always amusing.  "Amusing" in that you just shouldn't do it.  Windows look like hot trash in HDR (very much unlike MacOS' desktop).  So when I'm not playing one of the two aforementioned, I leave HDR disabled.  BF1 will automatically enable HDR in-game even if I have it disabled in Windows.  COD will not; it has to be enabled in the OS.

Fan noise: I've not heard it yet.  When I got the 27" version three years ago, I almost immediately heard the wee whiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnne of the fan.  Some folks are hyper-sensitive to fan noise (me), others not so much.  Not a peep from the 32" one yet.  If, like the 27", this suffers from the same, crappy TIM between the G-Sync module and the heatsink, I expect over time the fan may get a bit louder.

One teeny gripe is the indicator LED.  When powered on and receiving input from the PC, it has one of three colors:

White - SDR, no G-Sync

Red - SDR, G-Sync enabled

Green - HDR with or without(!) G-Sync enabled

I'd have preferred they come up with a fourth color to do HDR w/G-Sync, just to differentiate it.  But, that's a nit.

Should you buy this:  Like your grandparents' underwear, it Depends.  Do you want to frag at 4K, and have the system that can push > 100 FPS consistently while doing so?  Do you like the idea of HDR in-game?  If yes, this panel is easily worth the $3K asking price in my opinion.  As I've said: it's the perfect size for ye ol' typical desktop.  However, if you don't regularly play at 4K, this panel is an intense waste of money.  Sure, its HDR implementation is brighter than just about anything else out there at 1400NITs (cert'd).  But it's a tall price if you're not also driving the resolution and frame rate to go along with it.

Overall: I'm happy with it.  I'm glad it's finally shipping, after seeing it at CES in Jan of 2020(!)  Big, beautiful, bright, colorful, and fast.

And yes, the PG27U[Q] will be going up for sale should someone want it.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

is there visually any difference to the color coverage between the 27uq and the uqx, also how does the 4k/120 8bit look? good to hear there's no fan noise.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

is there visually any difference to the color coverage between the 27uq and the uqx, also how does the 4k/120 8bit look? good to hear there's no fan noise.

I can't tell any difference in color coverage, but I'm fragging with it.  You're simply NOT going to see those differences in typical FPS games.  Anyone that says they can is... well ... full of it. 🙂

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

I read a few comments on my Reddit post that's identical to this one, and folks were asking me about the blooming inherent with FALD.  At first I wasn't really noticing it, but their comments made me start to focus on it.  It's there.  If I'm playing a title in HDR and have FALD enabled, there is blooming.  There's really nothing that can be done about it.  You have three settings (as well as "Off") that supposedly speed up or slow down the zone dimming or some such, and those settings do make a different in how obnoxious the blooming is in game and, as it turns out, on the desktop.  But it's still there.

The workarounds are:

• Ignore it and keep playing
  • Disable FALD and lose a lot of the contrast ratio HDR provides

I think if you choose the second option, the panel is still worth the money for all of the other things it brings: the right size, the right resolution, the right speed, the hardware G-Sync, gorgeous HDR even without the hefty contrast ratio, etc.

There are quite a few issues that steered me away from this monitor. I'd love your opinions about these:

- Response times: From the reviews i already saw it's said to be significantly slower than for example LG's NanoIPS panels. It seems to use a last-gen IPS panel.

- DSC: (Display stream compression): Can you set it to 4K 144Hz 10bit 4:4:4 (RGB) in the Nvidia control panel or is there a bandwidth limitation with DP 1.4? Sadly i can't find anything about it supporting DSC or not. Nvm. just found out it does support DSC.

- Purple / Magenta lines between the FALD zones. When displaying a full white image or a very bright game (in HDR), the Youtuber "Optimum Tech" said that there are faint purple magentla lines visible in between the dimming zones.

- Black levels: I can't find any information about it's lowest brightness. And most FALD monitors cannot completely turn off individual zones to achieve true blacks.

- Blooming: I know that blooming can be quite noticeable with the tiny mouse cursor. But how noticeable is it in games. Especially with white HUD elements for example.

- Hardware Calibration: As this is a multipurpose gaming/professional monitor, is there any way to HARDWARE calibrate it? (At least for SDR)

- IPS Glow: Is there still visible IPS glow even when a zone is turned off?

Please give your unbiased, honest opinions about these things. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, i know the struggle with windows HDR. Sadly, the best solution is to enable it on a game-by-game basis like you're already doing it...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

There are quite a few issues that steered me away from this monitor. I'd love your opinions about these:

I'm going to punt on this request for the simple reason that you've been one of the more prolific anti-PG32UQX posters in this section of the forum over the past couple of months.  You had no intentions of buying one, anyway, and you're not really going to give the monitor a fair shake, regardless of what anyone says.  So: I'm not going to bother.

I'm just going to go enjoy fragging on it.  🙂

2 hours ago, jasonvp said:

I'm going to punt on this request for the simple reason that you've been one of the more prolific anti-PG32UQX posters in this section of the forum over the past couple of months.  You had no intentions of buying one, anyway, and you're not really going to give the monitor a fair shake, regardless of what anyone says.  So: I'm not going to bother.

I'm just going to go enjoy fragging on it.  🙂

I'm still interested in a high-end monitor, whichever one it is. The reason i'm asking you instead of some reviewer is because i know you have a real retail model. I think quite a few of the issues i found could be related to the review samples being pre-production models. I just want to verify if the issues persist.

But imo it's not fair from you to asume that i just want to shitposton your thread without even knowing me a bit.

Do you really think i would have taken the time and ask all the questions above if i wasn't interested?

Maybe if you would have seen that i'm even following the thread you might have come to a different conclusion.

(I really have better things to do than to follow a thread about a product i don't like just to talk it down...)

And by no means i wanted to "ruin your fun" with your new monitor...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Great review! I also got mine a few days ago from Amazon. Unfortunately, the one I got has poor quality that there is a splotch on the top right part of the screen and it is more than noticeable in many situations (luckily, not quite a issue when gaming). But it is a three grand monitor, I am very disappointed with its quality. Even worse, it is hard to buy another one that it is basically sold out everywhere right now. So if I returned it, I would probably have to wait for another month or so...

Other than the quality issue, the blooming effect is much worse than I expected. In any relatively dark background where the color is nearly uniform, e.g. pure black or pure dark gray, the area of approximately 2~3 squared inches around the cursor is glowing. I would say that ASUS should invest more on developing a better local dimming algorithm and I hope the blooming effect on PG32UQX could be improved in future firmware updates.

Nonetheless, the good news is that none of these issues are big problems in gaming. And similar to what you experienced, I have not noticed any fan noise. HDR gaming experience is really on another level (better than LG CX in my opinion).

23 minutes ago, JacksonZH said:

Other than the quality issue, the blooming effect is much worse than I expected. In any relatively dark background where the color is nearly uniform, e.g. pure black or pure dark gray, the area of approximately 2~3 squared inches around the cursor is glowing. I would say that ASUS should invest more on developing a better local dimming algorithm and I hope the blooming effect on PG32UQX could be improved in future firmware updates.

I guess having over 1000 dimmings zones still doesn't help if you have an algorythm that can only turn a zone on or off. What you described strongly hints towards that type of local dimming algorythm.

Since OP doesn't seem to want to talk to me, would you be so kind and tell me about your experience with the points i mentioned a few posts above?

12 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I guess having over 1000 dimmings zones still doesn't help if you have an algorythm that can only turn a zone on or off. What you described strongly hints towards that type of local dimming algorythm.

Since OP doesn't seem to want to talk to me, would you be so kind and tell me about your experience with the points i mentioned a few posts above?

Actually, I do think they can still improve the algorithm to get the blooming less of an issue because you can calculate the size of a zone on a 32 inch screen with 1154 zones. Then, you will find that, if they can manage to only turn on the zones that touch the cursor, the blooming area should not be that huge. But, I agree that the blooming would probably still be noticeable even they find the optimal local dimming algorithm. 

Sure, I can answer some of the concerns you mentioned before.

- For the response time, I personally do not know how that could affect the game experience as I am not very sensitive to that. So, for me, it is fine.

- For the Purple / Magenta lines between the FALD zones you mentioned, I did not notice this issue for now. But since you mentioned it, I will pay attention in the future.

- Black level is actually pretty good, not as good as OLED, but very close in my eyes.

- Blooming is a serious issue as I mentioned... However, also as I mentioned, blooming is not that a big issue when gaming. Roughly speaking, I can only notice them easily in those uniformly dark scenes.

- For the hardware calibration things, I don't have those equipment. However, I did read a few review, in which the testers did the calibration via some X-Rite device. I think you should be able find them on Google.

- For your last concern, I have not notice any glow when a zone is turned off.

In my opinion, this PG32UQX is flawed, but it is a great monitor in any sense except for its price... However, I will praise ASUS for just being the guy who makes the first step in bringing mini-led backlighting with all other features to the market.

Hey, would you mind to help me do a test? I find my PG32UQX is particularly bad in this blooming test. Initially, I saw someone doing the test on a PG32UQX here. Then, I tried it on my own one under HDR mode (in Windows 10 setting) and variable backlighting at level 2. The results seemed much worse than theirs as shown in the photos:

IMG_1351.thumb.jpeg.22503db7798009892e6370e92f7ea92a.jpegIMG_1350.thumb.jpeg.2bfc44702e2fcd2f3bba1951c9811529.jpegIMG_1349.thumb.jpeg.47da517711c45ba29c5dda6f0b6de129.jpeg

Would you mind to try the test and post your results here? I just want to know if this huge blooming only happened on my PG32UQX... Thanks!

On 6/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, jasonvp said:

Mine arrived on Wednesday morning via FedEx, but I had this annoying thing called "work" to deal with.  I did get it all mounted up on my handy Ergotron HX monitor stand (with quick-release mount).  The following morning after cleaning the desk up a bit, I took this shot:

IMG_1138.thumb.jpeg.03cde530e2caecacf06c6a6fb8db8f02.jpeg

Formerly I had a single "workstation" on my desk, at the corner itself.  Three 32" 4K displays connected to my Mac Pro (for work, etc).  I'd leave two of the 32" displays in place and lift the center one off its HX mount; replaced with my old 27" Asus PG27U[Q].  This obviously looked a little odd: two 32" displays flanking a 27".  But I didn't care because I was only staring at the central screen.  Last weekend I decided to split the workstations so I have two separate ones: work on the left, play on the right.

As noted, my previous display was the first 4K/144 display, the Asus PG27U.  This was one of the first shipments of the PG27UQ, and for some reason they goofed(?) and didn't add the "Q" to the end of the name.  I never did figure that one out, but it's the same, exact display.  Anyway, as stated: I've been fragging with that display since its launch in summer, 2018.  Generally speaking, the games I play have absolutely no problem pushing 4K/140 (soft-limited) when I drop certain GPU-computationally-expensive tasks like AA and AO.  Further, the games I've been playing have all had support for SLI, and I've run with SLI since it was a thing.

The concern with the PG27UQ and its ilk is that, to my aging eyes, the PPI of 27" and 4K combined is too much.  I'm in my late 40s now and it's getting more and more difficult to really see things as clearly as I'd like while playing.  That's caused me to back the games off to 1440p, and at that point: the PG27UQ is just a waste of money.  Younger eyes won't have that same issue.

Anyway, the big guy solves all of that for me.  At typical desktop depths, I feel 32" is the perfect size for a 4K display, whether fragging or working.  Over the course of the last couple of days, I've run through some game play tests.  Please note that I don't run monitor benchmarks, as I simply don't care.  Really: I don't.  I care about the experience in using the thing, not testing it.  So if you're looking for some results of tests or any such thing, look elsewhere.  I don't care. 🙂

Rainbow Six: Siege - SDR-only title.  Ubi's Vulkan version of their (very old) Anvil Next engine underpinning Siege is actually... fucking good!  The DX11 version of the engine supports SLI fine, but the Vulkan version doesn't.  However, that doesn't really matter because even with one of my OC'd 2080Ti cards, it's able to cook along at 4K/140.  Again: AA/AO both disabled.  I've been playing Siege in 4K for about three years, and so I was used to how it looks at that resolution.  The increase in size was immensely helpful though.

Battlefield 1 - HDR title.  Dice's older Frostbite engine under BF1 fully supports SLI, and does so really well.  So getting a high frame rate at 4K (limited to 140) is easy-mode.  it's difficult to adequately explain in words just how good a game looks when you enable HDR.  Everything just POPS more.  And Dice's work with HDR is stunning, to say the least.  This "old" game does 4K/HDR real damned well.  Plinking with a sniper rifle in BF1 was quite a bit easier with the larger screen size.

COD/Warzone - HDR title.  Inf Ward's HDR work with the new engine under COD isn't nearly as good as Dice's.  The game does look good in HDR, but it doesn't pop quite as much as BF1 does.  The pisser is that this DX12 title has no support for mGPU, and it's unlikely it ever will.  Pushing 4K with it on a single 2080Ti is a stretch, but doable.  The answer: steer hard into their new DLSS implementation.  On "Performance" mode in 4K with AO set to "Static objects only" and everything else maxed out, I'm able to keep the frame rate cooking along at 120+.  Rarely, if ever, do I see 130 or 140 though.  Reflex does keep it capped a bit just to prevent input lag.  But overall it's just too much for the 2000-series card.  Pretty.  Easy to see things.  Careful when panning across the sun because IT'S FUCKING BRIGHT on that screen.

Outside of that: leaving HDR running on the Windows desktop is always amusing.  "Amusing" in that you just shouldn't do it.  Windows look like hot trash in HDR (very much unlike MacOS' desktop).  So when I'm not playing one of the two aforementioned, I leave HDR disabled.  BF1 will automatically enable HDR in-game even if I have it disabled in Windows.  COD will not; it has to be enabled in the OS.

Fan noise: I've not heard it yet.  When I got the 27" version three years ago, I almost immediately heard the wee whiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnne of the fan.  Some folks are hyper-sensitive to fan noise (me), others not so much.  Not a peep from the 32" one yet.  If, like the 27", this suffers from the same, crappy TIM between the G-Sync module and the heatsink, I expect over time the fan may get a bit louder.

One teeny gripe is the indicator LED.  When powered on and receiving input from the PC, it has one of three colors:

White - SDR, no G-Sync

Red - SDR, G-Sync enabled

Green - HDR with or without(!) G-Sync enabled

I'd have preferred they come up with a fourth color to do HDR w/G-Sync, just to differentiate it.  But, that's a nit.

Should you buy this:  Like your grandparents' underwear, it Depends.  Do you want to frag at 4K, and have the system that can push > 100 FPS consistently while doing so?  Do you like the idea of HDR in-game?  If yes, this panel is easily worth the $3K asking price in my opinion.  As I've said: it's the perfect size for ye ol' typical desktop.  However, if you don't regularly play at 4K, this panel is an intense waste of money.  Sure, its HDR implementation is brighter than just about anything else out there at 1400NITs (cert'd).  But it's a tall price if you're not also driving the resolution and frame rate to go along with it.

Overall: I'm happy with it.  I'm glad it's finally shipping, after seeing it at CES in Jan of 2020(!)  Big, beautiful, bright, colorful, and fast.

And yes, the PG27U[Q] will be going up for sale should someone want it.

i am interested to know about your GAMING chair, pun intended, office chair, what is it's name, price, name of company, where did buy it?
(yes i have been trying to find such chair)

22 hours ago, JacksonZH said:

Would you mind to try the test and post your results here? I just want to know if this huge blooming only happened on my PG32UQX... Thanks!

Mine has noteworthy blooming, as expected.  It is a FALD screen after all.  But it doesn't appear to be as bad as what you're showing.  Kicking it down to Mode 1 makes it much worse; almost aligned with what you're seeing.

2 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

i am interested to know about your GAMING chair, pun intended, office chair, what is it's name, price, name of company, where did buy it?

It's a Herman Miller Aeron.  Oft considered the best chair that's ever been invented for the office.  Expect to pay on the order of $1000 or so for a brand new one.  Used ones are much less.

22 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Mine has noteworthy blooming, as expected.  It is a FALD screen after all.  But it doesn't appear to be as bad as what you're showing.  Kicking it down to Mode 1 makes it much worse; almost aligned with what you're seeing.

It's a Herman Miller Aeron.  Oft considered the best chair that's ever been invented for the office.  Expect to pay on the order of $1000 or so for a brand new one.  Used ones are much less.

Thank you very much bro! I think it's time to return it and buy another one from somewhere else...

On 6/17/2021 at 10:55 AM, JacksonZH said:

Great review! I also got mine a few days ago from Amazon. Unfortunately, the one I got has poor quality that there is a splotch on the top right part of the screen and it is more than noticeable in many situations (luckily, not quite a issue when gaming). But it is a three grand monitor, I am very disappointed with its quality. Even worse, it is hard to buy another one that it is basically sold out everywhere right now. So if I returned it, I would probably have to wait for another month or so...

Nonetheless, the good news is that none of these issues are big problems in gaming. And similar to what you experienced, I have not noticed any fan noise. HDR gaming experience is really on another level (better than LG CX in my opinion).

I'd return it and wait a month or so. I mean, it's freaking 3 grands!!!! How much to be precisely? Like $3499? It's your damn right to return it and get a better one for that amount of money.

What about the dark scenes like in games? I mean in nights on the games. Still flawed and bloomed?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 6/19/2021 at 6:30 AM, CTR640 said:

I'd return it and wait a month or so. I mean, it's freaking 3 grands!!!! How much to be precisely? Like $3499? It's your damn right to return it and get a better one for that amount of money.

What about the dark scenes like in games? I mean in nights on the games. Still flawed and bloomed?

Yea, you are right. I think I will return it eventually.

After a few days of playing Shadow of The Tomb Raider, I would say the blooming is noticeable in some dark scene, which is worse than my initial impression but acceptable as it is a FALD monitor... The splotch is not noticeable at all in game.

Basically, some dark scenes will be influenced by blooming since you can clearly see those halos around the bright objects, others are actually fine. A more interesting thing is that, the blooming is much more significant in those not completely dark scenes than in deep dark scenes. FYI, the nights in games is not very well performed since the night sky itself is not totally black (I have not played any space craft game where the sky is completely black...), hence you will notice the blooming if there are bright objects around. However, in Shadow of The Tomb Raider, if you are in very dark cave, you can find that the dark shadow is really really dark (very close to OLED in my opinion) even if you carry a torch or something emits light. Furthermore, the monitor will surprise you when you transfer from a dark scene to a bright scene, it is almost like in real life. Overall, dark scenes on this monitor is absolutely superior compared with any traditional LCD IPS monitor, but the blooming is what separate it from OLED TV if you do not consider its incredible brightness.

8 hours ago, JacksonZH said:

Yea, you are right. I think I will return it eventually.

After a few days of playing Shadow of The Tomb Raider, I would say the blooming is noticeable in some dark scene, which is worse than my initial impression but acceptable as it is a FALD monitor... The splotch is not noticeable at all in game.

Basically, some dark scenes will be influenced by blooming since you can clearly see those halos around the bright objects, others are actually fine. A more interesting thing is that, the blooming is much more significant in those not completely dark scenes than in deep dark scenes. FYI, the nights in games is not very well performed since the night sky itself is not totally black (I have not played any space craft game where the sky is completely black...), hence you will notice the blooming if there are bright objects around. However, in Shadow of The Tomb Raider, if you are in very dark cave, you can find that the dark shadow is really really dark (very close to OLED in my opinion) even if you carry a torch or something emits light. Furthermore, the monitor will surprise you when you transfer from a dark scene to a bright scene, it is almost like in real life. Overall, dark scenes on this monitor is absolutely superior compared with any traditional LCD IPS monitor, but the blooming is what separate it from OLED TV if you do not consider its incredible brightness.

I just got a great deal on a PG35VQ. I got a 1000€ discount on a new one with the only reason for the discount being that the bottom LED's projecting the ROG logo on the desk aren't working. As i planned to disable them anyway i went for it.

This monitor is just awesome in any way. There is some slight dark smearing due to the use of a VA panel instead of IPS. But compared to the PG32UQX you get a bump to 200Hz for the refresh rate and ultrawide.

Blooming is also much less of an issue because of the VA panel with it's higher native contrast ratio than most IPS panels. And you still get a HDR1000 monitor with 512 zones.

The HDR experience is just incredible. I'm inclined to say it's better than my C9 OLED TV.

If you're still searching for a high-end HDR monitor, then you should also have a look at it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 2:28 AM, Stahlmann said:

I just got a great deal on a PG35VQ. I got a 1000€ discount on a new one with the only reason for the discount being that the bottom LED's projecting the ROG logo on the desk aren't working. As i planned to disable them anyway i went for it.

This monitor is just awesome in any way. There is some slight dark smearing due to the use of a VA panel instead of IPS. But compared to the PG32UQX you get a bump to 200Hz for the refresh rate and ultrawide.

Blooming is also much less of an issue because of the VA panel with it's higher native contrast ratio than most IPS panels. And you still get a HDR1000 monitor with 512 zones.

The HDR experience is just incredible. I'm inclined to say it's better than my C9 OLED TV.

If you're still searching for a high-end HDR monitor, then you should also have a look at it.

Thanks for the info! I returned my PG32UQX to Amazon (but they still have not issued my refund...) and get another one from Microcenter, which is not defective at least. I know PG35VQ, which is a great monitor in every sense. Unfortunately, it is hard to fit a ultra wide monitor on my desktop with another 27" monitor (my old monitor).

Also some updates on PG32UQX, I finished Shadow of The Tomb Raider and played through part of the Plague Tale: Innocence. I would say, blooming is more noticeable in game than I felt previously, which is bad. However, every time I was thinking about returning it, the vivid bright scenes brought by this monitor really got me. In the gameplay of Plague Tale (also in STR), you will will see a lot of scenes with bright light and dark shadows, those are the place the magic of PG32UQX works extremely well. Although I know the contrast ratio of PG32UQX (1:6000 ish) cannot match that of OLED, but I swear I can see more details on PG32UQX in almost every scene. The only drawback for me is the blooming right now for gaming (and the customer service of Amazon😂). 

34 minutes ago, JacksonZH said:

if the only thing you don't like is the blooming, then it's great, you can see more on the uqx cause the wider gamut. I remember seeing more detail in the sand in borderlands 2 when upgrading one of my monitors.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11