Notification double whammy

Browser, version and OS: 

Most recent FireFox, which might be the cause of it, if it's not a bug.

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Open the notification on a new page, close, after a little while the notification will come back up again for the same comment.

Not always, and been more of a recent issue (no updates in browser since the issue).

What happened?

Just sometimes, there is second notification on the same comment

Kind of random

35 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Browser, version and OS: 

Most recent FireFox, which might be the cause of it, if it's not a bug.

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Open the notification on a new page, close, after a little while the notification will come back up again for the same comment.

Not always, and been more of a recent issue (no updates in browser since the issue).

What happened?

Just sometimes, there is second notification on the same comment

Kind of random

The firefox engine has changed to chromium or safari dependent somewhat on what hardware you have running. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If you're viewing a topic and get a notification about new posts in that same topic, that is expected. The notifications from following a topic, being quoted, etc are separate from the polling for new posts on the topic that you're viewing, so if you open one of them in a new tab you will still end up getting the other. The popups should be different in that case - one of them as a picture etc, while the other just says something like "1 new reply, show".

If that's not what you're seeing, is the notification duplicated in your notification list, or is does it just show up in the bottom left corner? What type of notification exactly is it?

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The firefox engine has changed to chromium or safari dependent somewhat on what hardware you have running. 

No it hasn't (it has always been webkit on iOS, but elsewhere it always has been and is still Gecko).

HTTP/2 203

18 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If that's not what you're seeing, is the notification duplicated in your notification list, or is does it just show up in the bottom left corner? What type of notification exactly is it?

Think but not 100% sure, but the exactly same newest notification "reactivated" if one could call it that or as becoming unread again.

Could be a fluke with short term notifications that are deleted (like giving an reaction and removing it quickly to create a bug).

But I assume that is not the case.

19 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you're viewing a topic and get a notification about new posts in that same topic, that is expected. The notifications from following a topic, being quoted, etc are separate from the polling for new posts on the topic that you're viewing, so if you open one of them in a new tab you will still end up getting the other. The popups should be different in that case - one of them as a picture etc, while the other just says something like "1 new reply, show".

No it hasn't (it has always been webkit on iOS, but elsewhere it always has been and is still Gecko).

Different from what I was told.  If it isn’t it isn’t though.  I was given to understand that there was a recent change.  It may be that some elements of chrome were put into gecko I guess.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

Think but not 100% sure, but the exactly same newest notification "reactivated" if one could call it that or as becoming unread again.

Could be a fluke with short term notifications that are deleted (like giving an reaction and removing it quickly to create a bug).

But I assume that is not the case.

Notifications shouldn't become unread again. If someone unreacts then re-reacts to a post, you will get two notifications about that, but they are different notifications.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

Notifications shouldn't become unread again. If someone unreacts then re-reacts to a post, you will get two notifications about that, but they are different notifications.

most I had this happen with was not reactions, should have clarified that. :()

Just using them as an example, since they can maybe mess with things.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

most I had this happen with was not reactions, should have clarified that. :()

If you can give a concrete example of where it's happened, I can look into it further.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Different from what I was told.  If it isn’t it isn’t though.  I was given to understand that there was a recent change.  It may be that some elements of chrome were put into gecko I guess.

The UI has been updated, though not really making it more chrome-like, but it's not using Chrome code or anything like that.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

If you can give a concrete example of where it's happened, I can look into it further.

I can find when it happens, but it can be very random. So would be hard to get a hold of, unless I knew how to do it myself.

But will try and post it here, if it's not the page being an issue with than my browser's updating game. 😓

6 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The UI has been updated, though not really making it more chrome-like, but it's not using Chrome code or anything like that.

I wonder what exactly what they were referring to then.  Happened about the same time edge came out. I might have misread something about a particular feature and how it was dealt with or something.  Oh well,  time to put firefox back on my main box then.

Edited by Bombastinator

Just had something, but not sure if it's the same issue.

This was comment + reaction. (never got the reaction notification I think, it just maybe merged/updated with the comment notification) *edit

Moderator lock, got reaction, but then the moderator lock took the notification instead of the reaction, making the thread lock the new notification instead of the reaction?

Like a replacement of the reaction, the older notification was updated instead? or just visual bug.

Got no idea why this happend now though, and different from the previous ones.

Comment posted 15m ago, notification 3m ago or was recent when it changed, not too sure.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1346700-lg-this-time-stirring-drama-with-reviewers-from-hardware-unboxed/?tab=comments#comment-14798155

Edited by Quackers101

On 6/12/2021 at 12:34 AM, Quackers101 said:

Just had something, but not sure if it's the same issue.

This was comment + reaction. (never got the reaction notification I think, it just maybe merged/updated with the comment notification) *edit

Moderator lock, got reaction, but then the moderator lock took the notification instead of the reaction, making the thread lock the new notification instead of the reaction?

Like a replacement of the reaction, the older notification was updated instead? or just visual bug.

Got no idea why this happend now though, and different from the previous ones.

Comment posted 15m ago, notification 3m ago or was recent when it changed, not too sure.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1346700-lg-this-time-stirring-drama-with-reviewers-from-hardware-unboxed/?tab=comments#comment-14798155

Thread locks don't send notifications. Can you post a screenshot of your notifications and say what has changed?

HTTP/2 203

13 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Thread locks don't send notifications. Can you post a screenshot of your notifications and say what has changed?

Only the time was changed last time, not sure if it's correct in the notification history.

"Spotty commented on LG this time, stirring drama with reviewers (from Hardware Unboxed)" is the notification.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, Quackers101 said:

When this happened the forum notifications were backed up a little bit and notifications for content you follow were about 10 minutes behind. It sounds like you received a separate notification for the thread (reaction to your post) then 10 minutes or so later got the delayed notification for my post.

I also suspect that this was the cause of the problem you experienced in your initial bug report. Notifications should be back to normal now. Is it still happening?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I also suspect that this was the cause of the problem you experienced in your initial bug report. Notifications should be back to normal now. Is it still happening?

well it was not the only one, but I guess its better?

As it was only 3 days of it, maybe, then I have not seen the issue come back?

So maybe it's fixed or that was the thing that happened? Also it was not delayed, or if you mean there was 2 sent out and the 2nd one got delayed.

But I firmly think it was one for the comment that I saw in real time, and one that might have been for the reaction that might have altered or updated/unchecked at the time the comment notification.

Not sure if others had it the same period, but I guess it might just be a few and in that time period.

Will comment here if it happens again.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:48 AM, colonel_mortis said:

It will be changing soon. FF will be adopting manifest v3. Not completely chromium but still.

I've had this happen to me before too

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler