Have you ever killed a motherboard, CPU or GPU trying to overclock it?

Please share your experience with overclocking. Guys like me, which are willing to try OC, but are afraid not to kill some component, will highly appreciate it. What is the real possibility of things to go wrong?

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

Agreed, would love to hear some tips and stories of not to do and what to do... :)

I've only ever overclocked my graphics card and not much at all.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I haven't encounter any problems with overclocking... yet.

I have overclocked my i7 3770K to 4.8Ghz on a H100 and still no problems. 

I haven't overclocked my GPU yet but surely it can't be much of a difference. 

My advice is, don't be afraid to get out of your comfortable zone, try new things, live life at its fullest. The possibility that things will go wrong are unlikely, with many safety features in place now days the worst thing that can happen is a hard shut down or a crash. If it is your first time overclocking, don't rush it, go slow and you should be safe.

Happy Overclocking!  

If you take the necessary precautions, there's really nothing to be worried about. There will obviously be risks if you attempt to tweak settings without knowing what they do (or what values are safe, especially with voltages), but for a light overclock it's usually not an issue.

First things first however, what are your system specs? Having proper components is very important, you wouldn't want to try overclock with a $50 board for obvious reaons.

Well, my friend fried his board when he used crappy 8pin EPS extension cables, if that counts. The connectors actually started melting before the board just went RIP.

As long as you dont do anything retarded you will be fine.

Check settings twice and lookup all maximum volltages, keep constant eye on temps and do things in small steps...

Retarded would be looking at someones settings that used liquid nitrogen cooling for a 6GHz OC. And wondering why things go bad when your running a standard cpu cooler...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Modern CPU's shouldn't fry anyway since they have a fail safe in place that cuts power the moment they get too hot. Motherboards shouldn't fry unless you have no airflow going through the VRM heatsinks. GPU's are the riskiest if you are not careful, too much overvolting in combination with bad airflow will kill it outright.

Nope. The only thing i encountered was, that after 2 Years of constant overclocking a Phenom X3 couldn't handle the overclock anymore. It got unstable, so i clocked it down and it runs fine now in my parent's PC

Good news everyone...!

Overclocking these days is really really simple.

You start out with a set frequency, let's say 4.2ghz, using the multiplier and adjusting the voltages.(I'm not giving you numbers cause each chip varies) After that you run a stability test for an hour or so(prime95 is a great tool) and you rinse and repeat till you get your desired frequency on your CPU

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Never had a CPU or Motherboard fry. 

Thankfully no. Would be so mad at myself if I did because hardware over here is so expensive.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

Yes, I killed a 775 mainboard which had no mosfet cooler while overclocking a Core2duo and a GTX 260 ^^

Yes, I killed a 775 mainboard which had no mosfet cooler while overclocking a Core2duo and a GTX 260 ^^

Heh. Reminds me of when I used a GPU only water block and didn't bother adding heatsinks to the VRM/Power phases on a GTX480.

I have my FX-6100 @ 4.2ghz on 1.41 volts and my vrms have no cooling apart from passive cooling.. Im walking on the edge xD. Also my motherboard only supports 10% overclocking, I have past that as well LOL. SOOO Im really on the edge.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

I burned some pins on my i7 875K@4,4ghz(22x200mhz) after overclocking my Elpida Hyper memory to  2400mhz - 7-7-7-21@1.65v. It was stable for about 2-3 months, after it wasn't lol.  :D

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I killed a 9600GT, It was oc'ed a lot, but the fan got stucked with a wire from the power supply and died.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

if i hadnt been careful i could have fried everything in my case.

i was gonna sleeve my psu cables and when i took the sleeving off the insulation was coming off and it would short out and killed everything so its a good thing i did that even though i cant return it 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I haven't killed anything yet, I'm to cautious because I have very little emergency part replacement money.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |