1200D shooting different sized pictures at identical settings?

Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,

Did you shoot one photo through the viewfinder, and the other using live view?

Go into your camera's settings and make sure the aspect ratio is set to 3:2 (I'm guessing it's set to 16:9 right now).

Today I was shooting some shots of the partial solar eclipse, and for some reason my camera decided to take 2 different sized photos seemingly randomly? I took a picture every minute, yet some are 5184 x 2916 and others are 5184 x 3456 in size. I didn't change settings between shots, just camera position due to the Sun moving around, and it was set to manual mode. My camera is a Canon 1200D. It's a bit annoying, because alignment software now complains about the pictures having "different lenses" and hence refuses to treat them as the same picture.

What could it be? Is this some image processing it does internally?

[Edit] Oh wait, perhaps it's because I adjusted the manual focus a couple of times? Very strange that it only has these two versions though as that was by no means a consistent process.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Go into your camera's settings and make sure the aspect ratio is set to 3:2 (I'm guessing it's set to 16:9 right now).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

Today I was shooting some shots of the partial solar eclipse, and for some reason my camera decided to take 2 different sized photos seemingly randomly? I took a picture every minute, yet some are 5184 x 2916 and others are 5184 x 3456 in size. I didn't change settings between shots, just camera position due to the Sun moving around, and it was set to manual mode. My camera is a Canon 1200D. It's a bit annoying, because alignment software now complains about the pictures having "different lenses" and hence refuses to treat them as the same picture.

What could it be? Is this some image processing it does internally?

Well, I know on some cameras there's an option to save 2 images: a RAW and a JPEG. Are they in the same file format? 

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well, I know on some cameras there's an option to save 2 images: a RAW and a JPEG. Are they in the same file format? 

I save both RAW and JPEG, but they show the same difference.

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I did indeed switch between having live view on and having it off to save a little battery and the aspect ratio was indeed set to 16:9. Is that really it? never would have thought that... I readily admit I'm a not-even-amateur photographer, but that is one I would never find on my own.

Is there a way to fix this in post to make software think they are the same? For example cropping the bigger one or something.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

31 minutes ago, tikker said:

Is there a way to fix this in post to make software think they are the same? For example cropping the bigger one or something.

That obviously depends on the software you're using, though I reckon cropping the larger image to the exact size of the smaller one should do the trick.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

That obviously depends on the software you're using, though I reckon cropping the larger image to the exact size of the smaller one should do the trick.

Yeah of course.  Cropping them indeed did the trick for my purposes.