CPU temps reaching 100°C on laptop

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,
7 hours ago, Kumar114 said:

run the CPU at its base speed (2.4GHz)

You can use ThrottleStop to run your CPU at any speed. No need to reduce your CPU speed all the way down to 2.4 GHz. There is no need to completely disable Intel Turbo Boost. You can either open the ThrottleStop FIVR window and adjust the Turbo Ratio Limits lower or you can go into the TPL window and you can adjust the Speed Shift Max value lower. This allows you to reduce the amount of turbo boost without completely eliminating all of it. 

92-95°C

These are normal operating temperatures for Intel CPUs. It is not unusual for gaming laptops to run continuously for hours at these temperatures. If you feel this is too hot then run your CPU at 3.6 GHz instead of 4.0 GHz. That should be enough so your CPU stays mostly under 90°C. Long term, consider replacing the thermal paste every six months or once a year. Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have the program setup.

6 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Intel spec rating the chip for 35W

The 9300H has a 45W TDP rating. Most laptop manufacturers limit these mobile CPUs to the TDP rating, 45W.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191075/intel-core-i5-9300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

6 hours ago, Roswell said:

while gaming it definitely shouldn’t be staying at 4Ghz.

Of course it should. When 3 or 4 cores are active, as long as a 9300H is running within the rated TDP, it should be running at 4.0 GHz. That is the Intel rated speed. 

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-9300h

I own the MSI GF63 thin laptop whose specs are: Intel Core i5 9300H, GTX 1650 Max Q, 8GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB HDD

The CPU temps while gaming reach 98-102°C (without cooler boost), and 96-99°(when cooler boost is on)

I tried undervolting the CPU, it helped to reduce the temperatures to 92-95°C, but I think that is not enough.

I also use a cooling pad under the laptop

The only solution that worked for me, was to run the CPU at its base speed (2.4GHz) instead of running it at 4GHz.

But this decreased the performance of multiplayer games a LOT. I have to run Battlefield 4, which is a 2013 game, at the LOWEST settings in order to play it properly.

I bought this laptop only 5 months ago. Is there any option I can try to lower the temperatures while my CPU is running at 4GHz?

If your ambient temps are over 25c, a thin gaming laptop will never function properly with boost enabled.

It's also in part due to Intel spec rating the chip for 35W while it consumes more than double which also

means increased heat output.

You could try repasting the CPU, if it doesn't use a crappy shared heatsink/heatpipe system that the GPU is also using to dump its heat.

Ideally they have separate cooling systems. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Are you forcing it to run at 4Ghz? At factory settings while gaming it definitely shouldn’t be staying at 4Ghz.

If not, I’d suspect you have some dust that needs cleaning or that the thermal paste isn’t making correct contact. There’s also the possibility that the paste has just gone bad as that notebook likely sat for over a year before you bought it considering the hardware configuration it has.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

You should undervolt the CPU and leave the boost and speed clocks to run automatically - Of course its going to run worse at 2.6GHz than at 4Ghz, but a laptop is not supposed to be boosting constantly.

My laptop is running a i7-9750H undervolted by -0.125v at stock speeds and it basically makes the fans go from 60-70% (very noisy) to 40-50% (much quieter) and still keeping the temps under control (90-95ºC, which is normal for a laptop).

Also, change thermal paste as they mention above - It would thermal throttle at 100% fan speed no undervolt when I first got it. Paste swap to Artic MX-5 made it those 90-95 at 70% fan speed, undervolt took the fan noise down 🙂

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

try repasting the cpu and gpu, make sure u dont just use any generic paste (arctic and thermal grizzly are pretty good), and make sure that ur remounting the heatsink properly since a bad mount will cause bad contact between the die and the heatsink and make whatever thermal paste changes u did ineffective

run the CPU at its base speed (2.4GHz)

You can use ThrottleStop to run your CPU at any speed. No need to reduce your CPU speed all the way down to 2.4 GHz. There is no need to completely disable Intel Turbo Boost. You can either open the ThrottleStop FIVR window and adjust the Turbo Ratio Limits lower or you can go into the TPL window and you can adjust the Speed Shift Max value lower. This allows you to reduce the amount of turbo boost without completely eliminating all of it. 

92-95°C

These are normal operating temperatures for Intel CPUs. It is not unusual for gaming laptops to run continuously for hours at these temperatures. If you feel this is too hot then run your CPU at 3.6 GHz instead of 4.0 GHz. That should be enough so your CPU stays mostly under 90°C. Long term, consider replacing the thermal paste every six months or once a year. Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have the program setup.

6 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Intel spec rating the chip for 35W

The 9300H has a 45W TDP rating. Most laptop manufacturers limit these mobile CPUs to the TDP rating, 45W.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191075/intel-core-i5-9300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

6 hours ago, Roswell said:

while gaming it definitely shouldn’t be staying at 4Ghz.

Of course it should. When 3 or 4 cores are active, as long as a 9300H is running within the rated TDP, it should be running at 4.0 GHz. That is the Intel rated speed. 

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-9300h

12 hours ago, Kumar114 said:

I own the MSI GF63 thin laptop whose specs are: Intel Core i5 9300H, GTX 1650 Max Q, 8GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB HDD

The CPU temps while gaming reach 98-102°C (without cooler boost), and 96-99°(when cooler boost is on)

I tried undervolting the CPU, it helped to reduce the temperatures to 92-95°C, but I think that is not enough.

I also use a cooling pad under the laptop

The only solution that worked for me, was to run the CPU at its base speed (2.4GHz) instead of running it at 4GHz.

But this decreased the performance of multiplayer games a LOT. I have to run Battlefield 4, which is a 2013 game, at the LOWEST settings in order to play it properly.

I bought this laptop only 5 months ago. Is there any option I can try to lower the temperatures while my CPU is running at 4GHz?

Are you forcing it up to 4ghz?

Clean the vents, consider a better thermal paste, & raise your laptop or get a cheap cooling fan laptop stand

23 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

Are you forcing it up to 4ghz?

He is not forcing his 9300H to run at 4.0 GHz. That is the normal Intel rated speed that all 9300H are supposed to run at when 3 or 4 cores are active. This is the speed a 9300H runs at when gaming. 

13 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have the program setup.

Here are some screenshots1841026739_Screenshot(77).thumb.png.92081df8107051d46086c90f4cc6edfd.png1976895133_Screenshot(78).thumb.png.34cb404a9733997f68874f6598b02be5.png

9 hours ago, Kumar114 said:

screenshots

One thing I noticed is that you have checked Speed Shift EPP on the main screen but this is not doing anything because your computer has not enabled Speed Shift Technology. Most computers with Intel 9th Gen mobile CPUs will enable Speed Shift automatically. If you cannot find a Speed Shift setting in the BIOS and if you want to use Speed Shift Technology which I recommend, you need to first enable it. Go into the TPL window, check the Speed Shift option and press OK. On the main screen you should see SST in green which confirms that Speed Shift is enabled. 

To control heat, you can reduce the amount of turbo boost but you do not need need to completely disable turbo boost. On the main screen, clear the check mark that is in the Disable Turbo box. 

Open the FIVR window and adjust the turbo ratio limits lower. The default is 41, 41, 40, 40. Maybe something like 41, 39, 37, 35 would work better. You will lose some performance but this will not completely kill performance like Disable Turbo does. 

Do not be afraid to run your CPU at over 90°C. Intel has tested and designed their CPUs to be able to handle these temperatures. That is why Intel has been setting the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C for the vast majority of desktop and mobile Core i CPUs that they have built during the last 12+ years. If Intel is comfortable with these temperatures, you should be too. Your laptop has lowered the thermal throttling temperature to 95°C so the CPU will be extra safe. 

A  -150 mV undervolt is getting close to the edge of stability. If your computer runs 100% reliably without any crashes / BSOD then this undervolt is fine. If you ever have any problems, reduce your offset undervolt to -140 mV or -130 mV. You do not need to undervolt the core and the cache equally. Many people get better results by undervolting the core more than the cache. Maybe -150 mV for the cache and -200 mV for the core will be OK. When testing different voltages use a consistent test like Cinebench R20.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

Watch for changes in your scores or lower temperatures when testing. Here are some Cinebench R20 results when using different voltages.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B2HZjwlS6B5vO-m6HrkYMuiu8yVh3LvY/view?usp=sharing

If you need any help, turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. This way you will have a record of your CPU performance and temperatures. Attach a log file to your next post or copy and paste the data to http://www.pastebin.com

The Intel GPU undervolt is not really necessary. When playing a game, the Nvidia GPU is doing all of the work. Reducing the voltage of the Intel GPU can cause instability without reducing power consumption any significant amount. If you are going to undervolt the Intel GPU then you also need to undervolt the iGPU Unslice the same amount. These two voltages are linked. If you do not do this, your Intel GPU undervolt will be ignored.

When idle at the desktop without any web browsers open or anything else, ThrottleStop should show somewhere around 0.5% to 1.0% in the C0 state. If your C0% number is way higher than this when idle, open the Task Manager, click on the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer. A lot of people have heat issues because they have a pile of useless stuff running 24/7 in the background. Reduce the background apps and you will reduce your temperatures. 

16 hours ago, unclewebb said:
On 6/11/2021 at 10:46 AM, Kumar114 said:

screenshots

One thing I noticed is that you have checked Speed Shift EPP on the main screen but this is not doing anything because your computer has not enabled Speed Shift Technology

@unclewebb 

I have now solved the problem thanks to your guidance.

Thank you so much!!

Thank you

On 6/11/2021 at 3:00 AM, Beat_my_Laptop said:

Clean the vents, consider a better thermal paste

On 6/10/2021 at 4:30 PM, XLZSLAYER said:

try repasting the cpu and gpu, make sure u dont just use any generic paste

On 6/10/2021 at 3:15 PM, Xaring said:

You should undervolt the CPU and leave the boost and speed clocks to run automatically

On 6/10/2021 at 2:44 PM, Roswell said:

I’d suspect you have some dust that needs cleaning or that the thermal paste isn’t making correct contact.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, NelizMastr said:

You could try repasting the CPU,

Thank you all for helping me

With your help I have been able to fix my problem

Thank you again