Upgrading: Ryzen 5 1500X -> Ryzen 5 3600

Hi, I have an Asus A320M K for my motherboard and I've been using a Ryzen 5 1500X for a few years. 

It's been doing well! 

I was thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600. 

Many don't recommend using the Ryzen 5 3600 with A320 boards but if they have the same power consumption as the CPU I've been using for all this time, it should be fine right?

Is there anything else that could cause issues? 

It will work, but the 3600 has boosting algos that will go way above the rates power. 

Really, you can do the 3600 in that, but look for a b450/b550 ds3h. (If you get the b450, you need to have a compatible cpu to update the bios, the 1500x would do fine for that)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It will work, but the 3600 has boosting algos that will go way above the rates power. 

Really, you can do the 3600 in that, but look for a b450/b550 ds3h. (If you get the b450, you need to have a compatible cpu to update the bios, the 1500x would do fine for that)

It's theoretically possible, I suppose, but it would be fairly rare to find a B450 these days that won't support Zen 2 out of the box. Either way, you're right, the 1500X will let the OP update the BIOS, if they need to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

31 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

Hi, I have an Asus A320M K for my motherboard and I've been using a Ryzen 5 1500X for a few years. 

It's been doing well! 

I was thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600. 

Many don't recommend using the Ryzen 5 3600 with A320 boards but if they have the same power consumption as the CPU I've been using for all this time, it should be fine right?

Is there anything else that could cause issues? 

Do you have a particular budget?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

@HelpfulTechWizardThanks for the info! I might wait and then upgrade to a full new build in the future (once the stock and prices of all parts calm down)

I was thinking of upgrading because I wanted to reach 72fps 1080p at least on the new Battlefield 2042.

The System Requirements haven't been revealed so I might wait and see how it performs in the beta to decide on if I need to upgrade now. 

@Chris Pratt I'm trying to save up for something bigger so I would prefer to spend less (not upgrade mobo if possible) 

If needed, I will consider upgrading to the B450 to go with the 3600

6 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

@HelpfulTechWizardThanks for the info! I might wait and then upgrade to a full new build in the future (once the stock and prices of all parts calm down)

I was thinking of upgrading because I wanted to reach 72fps 1080p at least on the new Battlefield 2042.

The System Requirements haven't been revealed so I might wait and see how it performs in the beta to decide on if I need to upgrade now. 

@Chris Pratt I'm trying to save up for something bigger so I would prefer to spend less (not upgrade mobo if possible) 

If needed, I will consider upgrading to the B450 to go with the 3600

If this is just a stepping stone, I'd keep the mobo. It'll be good enough, and no need to spend even more on something temporary.

That said, while the 3600 is a big upgrade overall, the actual performance difference in gaming isn't going to be that big. If you're finding yourself CPU bottlenecked currently, it might be worth it, but otherwise, that's $200+ you could just put towards your eventual full upgrade.