Hey guys!

I want to get into linux because I want a light OS with all that I need with just about no restrictions, and Linux is perfect for that.

One problem is: to me, Linux is downright daunting. I've used raspbian and ubuntu in the past, and I don't understand the commands or honestly what the hell is going on.

I want to learn, so do you guys have any forums or courses or articles that I can look into?

-Red_Fox_1293

Personally I think the best way to learn is to install it as your primary OS and just live with it, learning how to solve problems you encounter as you use it day to day.

But if you prefer to learn by just reading stuff: https://linuxjourney.com/

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

Hey guys!

I want to get into linux because I want a light OS with all that I need with just about no restrictions, and Linux is perfect for that.

One problem is: to me, Linux is downright daunting. I've used raspbian and ubuntu in the past, and I don't understand the commands or honestly what the hell is going on.

I want to learn, so do you guys have any forums or courses or articles that I can look into?

-Red_Fox_1293

TBH, i just learned googling wht you need and how to do it as you need to do it.

Just dont use arch and you should be fine.

just never do sudo chmod  000 -R /*

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

ok. I still want to main windows, just considering most of the programs I use are good for windows (does adobe creative suite work on linux?) so I think I will put a distro I like on a vm and work it as my main for a bit

can I use something like manjaro or pop or elementary?

6 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

Honestly just stick with Ubuntu until you get comfortable, it's the distro with the widest support for asking questions.

The specific distro doesn't matter much until you know what you want from an OS.

3 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

what is sudo chmod  000 -R /*

Basically rips all permissions from files. Can't read, write, or execute anything. Destroys a system without actually deleting the files. Might be recoverable from a recovery root, but never tried.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

10 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

Stick to pop, elementary, or mint for the moment. Manjaro is also easy to use, but I'm recommending these because they're based off of Ubuntu, and will be a bit familiar in terms of some terminal commands and stuff. And the vast majority of tutorials and stuff for Ubuntu will work on these.

And please don't ever run that command like the person said. It basically takes away read write and execute permissions from everyone.

You can read more about it here, cause you're interested. https://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix/unix-file-permission.htm

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for a reply. 🙂

Quote people so we can see your reply even if we click off the page. It's the little arrow next to the report triangle.

7 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

ok. I still want to main windows, just considering most of the programs I use are good for windows (does adobe creative suite work on linux?) so I think I will put a distro I like on a vm and work it as my main for a bit

Personally I wouldn't use a VM, I'd either dual boot or run it off a USB. And no, iirc CC does not work on Linux, but I would suggest trying alternatives like Kdenlive or Resolve for video editing, and Gimp and Darktable for photos.

7 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

All would work. Many seem to enjoy PopOS as their first distro but I would strongly suggest Manjaro as having access to the AUR is a huge benefit. You could install Arch if you prefer learning the hard way, but that's up to you.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

51 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

what is sudo chmod  000 -R /*

sudo runs the command as a root user, chmod changes permissions, 000 means so permission, -R means recursively, and /* means all files in the filesystem.

So together it will remove all perms from  all of the files.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Red_Fox_1293 said:

TBH, I would suggest you to use it on a VM for a few days. Its just so much easier to just delete a VM if you change your mind. If you like it, you can dual boot with the other OS. Though, do consider your host machine's specs(I would suggest a minimum of an i5 and 8GB of RAM).

I would suggest Ubuntu. Its pretty user friendly if you like that. 

Just now, Red_Fox_1293 said:

I would suggest NetworkChuck on YouTube. He is a very encouraging guy and he just gets that excitement to learn more in you.

Linking a few of his videos:

Spoiler

Just as a side note, you can also use Ubuntu Terminal on Windows(built-in), if you just want to use the command-line.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Maybe look into the Ubuntu for Non-Geeks book series. I bought the 4th edition (for 10.04 Lucid Lynx) on ebay and it was a pretty fun read. It comes with a 32-bit Ubuntu installation disk. I think it could still be really helpful for learning Linux even though it's from 10 years ago. Just get an old laptop, like a 10+ yo Thinkpad or Dell Latitude), install the distro and have fun reading through the book and trying the demos. I learned how to compile C code with cmake. There's lots of other stuff too, such as learning how to navigate folders and manipulate files from the terminal, learning about drivers (like Nvidia), learning about different apps that come with Ubuntu, and lots of other fun stuff.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Install ArchLinux.

Sounds unnecessary but it actually makes you aware how the system works.

Watch also Videos about Linux.

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

If you really want to learn, install something like VirtualBox and emulate different linux systems. With VirtualBox you can do anything within it without harming your actual install. Once you've learned that then you can dual boot, which is basically having the option between booting into Windows or booting into Linux. Just whatever you do don't use WSL to try Linux, I mean you could for like downloading YouTube videos to watch within Windows but WSL gives Linux a bad first impression lol.