Help with 2080ti Aliems

Hi guys, I've been a long time viewer of LTT, but a new member to the forum and I've got a little bit of a head scratcher here. I just got my 4th 2080ti from an EVGA RMA and it's showing artifacts in Youtube videos and Heaven benchmark runs. I sent back 3 2080ti black editions for similar problems (the first one sparked up, the 2nd had full on space invaders, and the third one wouldn't output a VGA signal after waking up my PC from sleep.) They upgraded me to a 2080 XC Ultra, but when I plugged it in, I started seeing the same Invader artifacts, but no shutdowns or other issues. I called up EVGA to complain, and they mentioned that all the cards I sent them worked on their test bench, and even the card they sent out was fully tested before shipping. They mentioned my GPU might be getting "dirty power". Does anyone here know how to help, or has anyone been in a similar position? I'm running out of options. Could this be a PSU issue?

System:

Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (wifi) (BIOS ver. 3801 & 06/02 Chipset Drivers)

5900x (stock)

64GB TridenZ New 3600mhz cl16

EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra

Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Monitors: (in case it matters)

2 AW2521HF, and 1 Dell P2217H

(Screenshots attached: 2 HW Monitor shots while running Heaven, and Aliems in question while watching WAN Show)

Thank you! 

Aliems 2.png

Aliems 3.png

Aliems 4.png

The issue is definitely not the cards, and likely never has been.

There's no way four brand new cards in a row would artifact like that.

The rest of your specs seem solid though, and so I don't see anything obvious.

Have you tried wiping all the GPU drivers off your system using DDU in safemode?

Outside that, I would be getting my hands on another power supply to test with.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Just now, Tech87 said:

The issue is definitely not the cards, and likely never has been.

There's no way four brand new cards in a row would artifact like that.

The rest of your specs seem solid though, and so I don't see anything obvious.

Have you tried wiping all the GPU drivers off your system using DDU in safemode?

Outside that, I would be getting my hands on another power supply to test with.

Thanks for the quick reply! See, that's what Daniel at EVGA said and it's been haunting my every waking thought. I actually looked up the PSU Tier List in this form and ordered a Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 1000w PSU. Should be coming on Monday. I also DDU-ed my system before plugging in the 2080ti and reinstalled drivers after. I might be out of the loop, but Daniel mentioned that Seasonic has had a pretty iffy reputation when it comes to the 20-series? I bought Seasonic because I always heard good things on LTT.

Also, do the artifacts always appear?

Do they show up on all your monitors?

Are you using two separate power plugs from the PSU unit to the card? (Not the extra power plug on a single cable)

1 minute ago, kaoskilo said:

Thanks for the quick reply! See, that's what Daniel at EVGA said and it's been haunting my every waking thought. I actually looked up the PSU Tier List in this form and ordered a Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 1000w PSU. Should be coming on Monday. I also DDU-ed my system before plugging in the 2080ti and reinstalled drivers after. I might be out of the loop, but Daniel mentioned that Seasonic has had a pretty iffy reputation when it comes to the 20-series? I bought Seasonic because I always heard good things on LTT.

I've had great experiences with Seasonic, but have never ran one with 20/30 series GPUs.

A lot of the units seem to have tripping problems with the latest 30 series, but I'm not sure if there are any known problems with the 20 series.

2 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Also, do the artifacts always appear?

Do they show up on all your monitors?

Are you using two separate power plugs from the PSU unit to the card? (Not the extra power plug on a single cable)

Yeah, sometimes my displays are artifact free, then BAM... aliems. They show up across all monitors. I mostly notice it in Youtube because I'm actively watching and I see the glitches, or when I'm working in AfterEffects. Also ran Heaven on both AW2521HFs, and the artifact show up in both monitors (not aliens, but bugged out assets). Also, yes, I am running 2 individual power plugs from the PSU to the GPU, not the daisy-chain one.

Too bad you didn't have that other power supply unit in hand now.

I'd be interested to see if it fixes the issue.

Definitely let us know.

It's a bit of a longshot, but have you tried a clean boot?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

if you can screenshot the artifacts and it's showing in the SS, it's probably hardware level, somewhere before the framebuffer

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

25 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Too bad you didn't have that other power supply unit in hand now.

I'd be interested to see if it fixes the issue.

Definitely let us know.

It's a bit of a longshot, but have you tried a clean boot?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

No, I haven't tried doing a clean boot. Before shipping out my other GPUs for RMA I tested them on my PCs (3600/Asus CSM B450 with Corsair TX650, 3900x/Asus Prime X570 with NZXT C-1000) and was able to replicate the issues. This last call with EVGA however, they mentioned that all the cards I've shipped them have been problem-free. I haven't actually pulled out the card and tested it in other systems.. for what it's worth, I had a 1080 in my rig while waiting for my RMA replacement, and I didn't have any issues. I'll try doing a clean boot now to see if there are any changes.

26 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you can screenshot the artifacts and it's showing in the SS, it's probably hardware level, somewhere before the framebuffer

That's what I don't get.. I was actually expecting the screenshots to not show the aliems, but there they were. Any ideas what it could be then?

6 minutes ago, kaoskilo said:

That's what I don't get.. I was actually expecting the screenshots to not show the aliems, but there they were. Any ideas what it could be then?

Hard to say, but if you've gone through 4 GPUs, I don't think that's to blame, unless they sent back the same one each time

Do you have any spare GPU lying around?

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Hard to say, but if you've gone through 4 GPUs, I don't think that's to blame, unless they sent back the same one each time

Do you have any spare GPU lying around?

They had different serials each time, and different blemishes. I know they're not sending me brand new units, but they said they tested the cards thoroughly. I was using a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini before the 2080ti XC Ultra came in, and for the month that it was in my system, I had no issues whatsoever. Might be helpful to mention that before the 2080ti black edition, I was running an Asus 2080 Super Dual which ran smooth and problem-free for the 6 months it was in my system.

4 minutes ago, kaoskilo said:

They had different serials each time, and different blemishes. I know they're not sending me brand new units, but they said they tested the cards thoroughly. I was using a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini before the 2080ti XC Ultra came in, and for the month that it was in my system, I had no issues whatsoever. Might be helpful to mention that before the 2080ti black edition, I was running an Asus 2080 Super Dual which ran smooth and problem-free for the 6 months it was in my system.

Hmm... So it's specifically EVGA cards

Honestly I've no idea, but what you can try is adjusting the pcie gen in bios from auto to gen 3 or even gen 2, and see if it goes away

I don't think that'll help but it's something you could try

34 minutes ago, kaoskilo said:

No, I haven't tried doing a clean boot. Before shipping out my other GPUs for RMA I tested them on my PCs (3600/Asus CSM B450 with Corsair TX650, 3900x/Asus Prime X570 with NZXT C-1000) and was able to replicate the issues. This last call with EVGA however, they mentioned that all the cards I've shipped them have been problem-free. I haven't actually pulled out the card and tested it in other systems.. for what it's worth, I had a 1080 in my rig while waiting for my RMA replacement, and I didn't have any issues. I'll try doing a clean boot now to see if there are any changes.

I just did a clean boot, and after a couple minutes of Youtube, the aliems came back 😕

21 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Hmm... So it's specifically EVGA cards

Honestly I've no idea, but what you can try is adjusting the pcie gen in bios from auto to gen 3 or even gen 2, and see if it goes away

I don't think that'll help but it's something you could try

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion, but its as you thought. gen3 did not change anything, neither did gen 2. Heaven just had a different artifact for me each time. Does the HW Monitor stuff show an clues? Should I be looking at other meters?

1 minute ago, kaoskilo said:

Does the HW Monitor stuff show an clues? Should I be looking at other meters?

I don't know of any software that can detect hardware fault that causes artifacting, unfortunately

But if it doesn't occur in other GPU but only the EVGA ones, then it truly is bizarre

Jank has ensued, but I learned from the best lol turns out, the PSU is not the issue... 😭

(This is an older TX650 I had lying around. I'll retest the system properly when my Straight Power 11 comes in.)

20210606_000818.jpg

20210606_000927.jpg

Just an update. Ended up RMA-ing the 2080ti, and was luckily able to scoop up a Zotac 2080 AMP. No artifacts, no glitches.. everything is smooth as butter. Hoping that the replacement card comes back working this time.