Help me with chemistry

orangecat

So i'm taking a chemistry class and i cant get my mind around electron configurations and sub energy levels. I know it has something to do with 1s2 and 2p6 but i don't know what all this means so if you guys know anything about this kind of stuff or know of some nice resources i can look at that would be great.

e=mc2

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

So i'm taking a chemistry class and i cant get my mind around electron configurations and sub energy levels. I know it has something to do with 1s2 and 2p6 but i don't know what all this means so if you guys know anything about this kind of stuff or know of some nice resources i can look at that would be great.

167863.image0.jpg

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That is phyXs. 

nvidia pls

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

That is phyXs. 

Sorry OP for off topic but it's PhysX, not phyXs.

i'm a potato

167863.image0.jpg

Two electrons occupy each of those lines, (starting from 1) and they fill up the lines like a bus of antisocial people would fill up, you don't want to occupy a seat next to another person.

so carbon which has 6 electrons would fill up 2s1 2s2 2p2 as shown below   (I'm probably wrong, can't remember this stuff.)

fig1_4.gif

a great resource for quickly figuring this stuff out is the Aufbau table.  If you understand that then understanding electron configurations becomes easier.

econfiguration.jpg

It's been forever since I learned this stuff so naturally I don't remember any of it and haven't used it since Second year.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

Sorry OP for off topic but it's PhysX, not phyXs.

You are being very picky. 

Two electrons occupy each of those lines, (starting from 1) and they fill up the lines like a bus of antisocial people would fill up, you don't want to occupy a seat next to another person.

so carbon which has 6 electrons would fill up 2s1 2s2 2p2 as shown below   (I'm probably wrong, can't remember this stuff.)

fig1_4.gif

a great resource for quickly figuring this stuff out is the Aufbau table.  If you understand that then understanding electron configurations becomes easier.

econfiguration.jpg

It's been forever since I learned this stuff so naturally I don't remember any of it and haven't used it since Second year.

Thanks for trying to help but it didn't really do much.

You are being very picky. 

Ordnung muss sein

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

those diagrams make it seem way harder than it really is. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

those diagrams make it seem way harder than it really is. 

Really? I find them very intuititive. The higher the energy level of the level the later it becomes filled with electrons, so all you need is a little trick like that Aufbau table to make sure you remember the order and it's just a matter of filling them in.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Really? I find them very intuititive. The higher the energy level of the level the later it becomes filled with electrons, so all you need is a little trick like that Aufbau table to make sure you remember the order and it's just a matter of filling them in.

im not the one who needs help, i have learned it another way i guess.
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

they fill up the lines like a bus of antisocial people would fill up, you don't want to occupy a seat next to another person.

That is a interesting way to put Hund's rule.

However it leaves out the part where orbitals of the same energy level will only be occupied by electrons with parallel spins.

In short it is not possible for the orbitals 2p^x and 2p^y to be occupied by a electron of the spin -1/2 and 1/2 on the other one. Both have to be either -1/2 or 1/2.

Also I never really noticed how much German words there is in chemistry, I always only learned it in German.

Thanks for trying to help but it didn't really do much.

What exactly is it that you are trying to understand?

1s2 is the electron configuration of Helium.

2p6 is the electron configuration of the outermost electrons of Neon.

so carbon which has 6 electrons would fill up 2s1 2s2 2p2 as shown below (I'm probably wrong, can't remember this stuff.)

Posted Image

a great resource for quickly figuring this stuff out is the Aufbau table. If you understand that then understanding electron configurations becomes easier.

Posted Image

Jesus I've forgotten so much since school xD

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090