Ivy Bridge IHS removal and thermal gel replacement

So.  I have an i5 3570K being cooled by an H100 and I see load temps of mid 50s and idle of around 30-35 depending on my room temp.  I've been reading/hearing about this whole deal with Intel having used crummy themal gel on the Ivy bridge CPUs.  I know my temps aren't bad at all but I'm curious to see if anyone has had similar temps and tried to replace the thermal gel.  Wondering what I might get for results and if it's worth it at all for me to try.  Basically I'd like to know if i can get lower temps and possibly end up with a better overclock.  Thanks for any input!

I haven't personally done this; however, if you replace the IHS with something better, it will improve temperatures - fact. Having said that, you should still be able to overclock fine with an H100 and standard IB IHS, many people have. Also, combine that with the fact that "delidding" will completely void your warranty for your CPU, i don't, personally, think it is worth it despite the temperature improvement it yields.

Yeah.  I'm leaning toward just leaving it alone.  I am running a totally stable 4.3 Ghz OC right now.  I was just hoping to hear from someone with experience in case they tell me i'll see a 20 degree difference or something major like that.

Unless you have utmost confidence in not destroying your CPU while delidding it, I would steer away from it. I, myself, had to practice on dead Ivy CPU's from my friend's shop before actually trying it out on my 3770K.

Pointless mod, lowering your temps will not give you any real world performance, unless you are over the thermal limit with your oc there is no need...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

It can lower temps by 30c when done right. Yes is voids the warranty :] Just get some practice on un-soldered chips first and use some CLU on the die.

Pointless mod, lowering your temps will not give you any real world performance, unless you are over the thermal limit with your oc there is no need...

Actually, it's pretty useful if you want better temps on your OC that won't kill the CPU. My 3770K was pushing past 90 degrees with 4.7GHz @ 1.34v. After I delidding, temps went down to 70 degrees. That's my everyday use OC so if I kept it running with an over 90 degree load temp, I pretty much would kill my CPU very quickly.

I pretty much wouldn't do it even for the better temperature yields. Too risky imo unless you really know what you're doing. Besides IB chips overclock just fine until you reach the 4.6 to 4.8 mark depending on how lucky you are. 

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Actually, it's pretty useful if you want better temps on your OC that won't kill the CPU. My 3770K was pushing past 90 degrees with 4.7GHz @ 1.34v. After I delidding, temps went down to 70 degrees. That's my everyday use OC so if I kept it running with an over 90 degree load temp, I pretty much would kill my CPU very quickly.

Intel have tested processors at thermal max for 3 years without them failing, if its below thermal max then its OK. And we just dont keep CPU's long enough for any problems to arise...

Have a server in a dirty warehouse that just sat there for 3 years , one day it shut down thermal protection in winter? well there was so much crap inside it must would of been running as hot as hell for mouths, vacuumed it all out and its still going strong.

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Intel have tested processors at thermal max for 3 years without them failing, if its below thermal max then its OK. And we just dont keep CPU's long enough for any problems to arise...

Have a server in a dirty warehouse that just sat there for 3 years , one day it shut down thermal protection in winter? well there was so much crap inside it must would of been running as hot as hell for mouths, vacuumed it all out and its still going strong.

That may be true. I know that the majority of buyers would not even overclock the CPU's are the main market for Intel but I still can't believe they cheaped out on the TIM, that on stock clocks was not a problem, that when you even start lightly overclocking the CPU the temps would shoot up like crazy does not really satisfy a lot of people who were hoping that they could do more like how Sandy Bridge did.

I'm thinking I'm going to leave it be.  If I had other CPUs that I could practice on just laying around I might give it a try.  But I think I'll just be happy with what I've got.  Thanks for all the input everyone!

I personally will be delidding my 3570k and replacing the thermal paste that microsoft used with Coollaboratory liquid PRO when i build my x79 rig later this year. A cooler running processor can not be pointless.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

3570K is a Z77 chip.  Not X79.  Unless I'm that much of a newb.

More to it then just that, lower temps does provide more voltage headroom and thus higher clock speeds if your silicon allows it. Plus what really kills chips is a combination of voltages and temps. Running 1.08v at 90C will last a quite bit longer then a chip running at 1.4v at 90C.

I'd personally leave it alone since your getting great temps. The only reason I would do it if I was getting bad temps. 

Yikes.  That looks scary to try.

Well, there's no razor digging into the PCB. I'd take it over the alternative. Just be careful.

Well, there's no razor digging into the PCB. I'd take it over the alternative. Just be careful.

That's actually what I did on my 3770K. It turned out to be the quickest method and a lot safer than having a blade on the CPU itself.

I personally will be delidding my 3570k and replacing the thermal paste that microsoft used with Coollaboratory liquid PRO when i build my x79 rig later this year. A cooler running processor can not be pointless.

You do know that the 3570K is a Z77 chip and not a X79 one. Besides delidding only work with Ivy Bridge. Any other CPU can't be delidded because the IHS is soldered onto the CPU itself unlike Ivy Bridge which was only using an adhesive to keep it on.

well 3570k = 1155 and 3930k,3970x (x79) =  2011

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I'd say leave it on, my 3770k is running at a stable 4.7 gHz without doing the mod. 

Main Gaming Rig/Folding Machine: Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz / H100 with Sickleflow Fans/ Corsair 600t / XFX 6950 / 16GB DDR3

Folding/Media PC: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/ Fractal Design Core 1000 / 4GB DDR2 

Ultrabook : Samsung NP530 Ultrabook. 

That's actually what I did on my 3770K. It turned out to be the quickest method and a lot safer than having a blade on the CPU itself.

You do know that the 3570K is a Z77 chip and not a X79 one. Besides delidding only work with Ivy Bridge. Any other CPU can't be delidded because the IHS is soldered onto the CPU itself unlike Ivy Bridge which was only using an adhesive to keep it on.

yes i do know 3570k is a z77, that is what i am using at present. I am talking about when i do my x79 build later this year then i will take off the IHS on the 3570k and use Liquid PRO. Do you follow?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

yes i do know 3570k is a z77, that is what i am using at present. I am talking about when i do my x79 build later this year then i will take off the IHS on the 3570k and use Liquid PRO. Do you follow?

Got it. It's just the way you phrased it sounded like you were putting a 3570K on a X79 board.