Hardware recommendations for a Proxmox server

I want to re-build a server we have in the office. I plan to install Proxmox and use it for 8-15 virtual machines, all of them will run quite light workloads as DNS, webserver, backup, vpn etc. I need help collecting parts to both support my current needs and have the possibility to expand in the future.

Requirements

- Minimum 2 Ethernet ports

- The only hardware I want to stick with is this case: Chieftec UNC-410S-B-U3-OP

- 2-8 GB ram per machine

- One disk for running Proxmox

- SSD disks for storing VMs

What's your budget?

Any specific applications like databases? RAM heavy VMs?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

What's your budget?

Any specific applications like databases? RAM heavy VMs?

I do not have a clear budget, but I would like stay below 3000 USD, the server will be used for work but I'm aiming at high-end consumer products rather then going for "server-grade" parts.

The VMs will be used for many different applications, one plan I have is to use some of the VMs as a backup/replication server for Postgresql databases. Initially the VMs will not require more then 8-16GB.

If you're looking for consumer grade hardware, I suppose this offers the best overall value and scalability.

High endurance SSDs, ample memory, decent CPU for the money.

EDIT: You can use these SSDs in a RAIDZ1 for 1.5TB of space or in a RAIDZ2 for 1TB of space with dual drive failure protection.

The m.2 is for the OS. I wanted to spec out a Ryzen as well, but you'll need a video adapter of some sort to get an image and configure everything.

Cooler should fit in the Chieftec case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900 2.8 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($375.00 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($296.80 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($679.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($186.01 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 560 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2345.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-02 09:51 EDT-0400

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

22 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

If you're looking for consumer grade hardware, I suppose this offers the best overall value and scalability.

High endurance SSDs, ample memory, decent CPU for the money.

EDIT: You can use these SSDs in a RAIDZ1 for 1.5TB of space or in a RAIDZ2 for 1TB of space with dual drive failure protection.

The m.2 is for the OS. I wanted to spec out a Ryzen as well, but you'll need a video adapter of some sort to get an image and configure everything.

Cooler should fit in the Chieftec case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900 2.8 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($375.00 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($296.80 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($679.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 560 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2345.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-02 09:51 EDT-0400

Thank you! I was also thinking of a Ryzen but this setup seems to satisfy my needs!

If I would let go of the consumer grade idea, how could a more enterprise setup look? I have seen Supermicros MB on many server builds, but I do not know what the entry levels would be.

I'd look into a used Dell R620 or R630 myself and then load it up with drives/ram as needed. You can set the fans to 20% static speed so they don't get too loud and it still keeps the server pretty cool as well. I've got an R630 and R620 on top of each other running at a fixed fan speed and some airflow in a closet and they never get about 50 to 60C at the hottest. You just need to send a couple IPMI commands and that's about it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

32 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I'd look into a used Dell R620 or R630 myself and then load it up with drives/ram as needed. You can set the fans to 20% static speed so they don't get too loud and it still keeps the server pretty cool as well. I've got an R630 and R620 on top of each other running at a fixed fan speed and some airflow in a closet and they never get about 50 to 60C at the hottest. You just need to send a couple IPMI commands and that's about it.

This has also crossed my mind, we have a server rack in a closed room. So noise is not a problem. But one R630 could not compete with the setup suggested above? I could probably fit more then one into to the budget though! Could maybe be a more scalable solution to add smaller servers for future upgrades.

What would be the biggest cons with the older hardware, slower RAM and slower HDDs?

Pros is of course redundant power-supplies and multiple ethernet ports.

9 minutes ago, gurpel said:

This has also crossed my mind, we have a server rack in a closed room. So noise is not a problem. But one R630 could not compete with the setup suggested above? I could probably fit more then one into to the budget though! Could maybe be a more scalable solution to add smaller servers for future upgrades.

What would be the biggest cons with the older hardware, slower RAM and slower HDDs?

Pros is of course redundant power-supplies and multiple ethernet ports.

Slower but cheaper RAM, you can use any drive in there you want, you don't have to stick with HDDs or buy from a list of particular drives just so long as they are 2.5" drives for the 600 series. If you want 3.5" drives then you'll just need to go with the R700 series instead. You can usually pick up a R620 with 64GB of RAM for around $300 to $500. They can take up to 384GB of DDR3 RAM. The R630 on the other hand uses DDR4 memory so that might be a bit more expensive but usually you can get that for decent prices too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: