What cable do you need for a 1 cable setup?

So I've been looking into a new laptop lately and I want to emulate linus' video - No, THIS is the cleanest setup: https://youtu.be/G2VxwFEA8xM

However he uses a thunderbolt 3 cable in order to do this, now, not only does this narrow the pool of laptops available and give a price hike but it also limits one to intel.

So I was wondering, could one do something similar with a gaming laptop (i.e. no need for GPU dock) with usb 3.0-3.2 or usb c? While still getting a qhd or 4k monitor or two plus keyboard, mouse etc. And maybe even a quest who knows.

Also, I acknowledge not thatany laptops are capable of charging via usb c so, I would be happy with a setup that simply plugs all the devices in in 1 go but it would be preferable if it is possible to have my setup be transferable to a laptop that can charge with usb 3.

Thanks a million in advance for any guidance. :3

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

I think you're gonna have an issue with the monitors. I don't think USB 3.0 is capable of those resolutions along with other connections like thunderbolt is. You may be able to get away with it if you lower your required resolution.

USB 3.1 supports DisplayPort alt mode so you can just get a hub with DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 to accomplish this. You need to be careful that you don’t overwhelm the bandwidth on the cable though because that will cause issues. A display, keyboard, and mouse should be good on one hub. Also, some monitors provide up to 100w of power to your laptop while connected so you don’t even need to plug into the wall.

7 minutes ago, Flapjack30 said:

I think you're gonna have an issue with the monitors. I don't think USB 3.0 is capable of those resolutions along with other connections like thunderbolt is. You may be able to get away with it if you lower your required resolution.

So if I have enough bandwidth e.g. usb 3.2 - 20gbps with a hdmi 2.0 or display port 4k 60hz monitor or usb 3.0 for a 1080p. What else would be stopping me from pluggin dock into laptop via usb A? or maybe c and plugging the dock into the monitor(s)?

10 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

USB 3.1 supports DisplayPort alt mode so you can just get a hub with DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 to accomplish this. You need to be careful that you don’t overwhelm the bandwidth on the cable though because that will cause issues. A display, keyboard, and mouse should be good on one hub. Also, some monitors provide up to 100w of power to your laptop while connected so you don’t even need to plug into the wall.

1. OK wait so dones usb 3.0 not work for monitors/just for display port?

And given I have enough bandwidth for my monitors in my connection between the laptop and the dock e.g. usb 3.2 20gbps for hdmi 2.0 14.4gbps, what other issues might I have that would prevent the monitors from working?

2. Whaaaa? Like the monitors have a usb c that you can plug in or like through the display cable to the dock they can charge the laptop?

3 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

So if I have enough bandwidth e.g. usb 3.2 - 20gbps with a hdmi 2.0 or display port 4k 60hz monitor or usb 3.0 for a 1080p. What else would be stopping me from pluggin dock into laptop via usb A? or maybe c and plugging the dock into the monitor(s)?

Nothing else I can think of...? Other than making sure to get a decent dock, as some cheaper ones have connectivity issues/bandwidth issues.

Just now, Flapjack30 said:

Nothing else I can think of...? Other than making sure to get a decent dock, as some cheaper ones have connectivity issues/bandwidth issues.

OK, well docks I can return if they don't work as advertised. Thanks.

Oh yeah, 1 more thing would you happen to know if there are problems when the power goes from - wall > dock > laptop? Because that's the only other big issue I can see.

1 minute ago, TechMasterMind said:

OK, well docks I can return if they don't work as advertised. Thanks.

Oh yeah, 1 more thing would you happen to know if there are problems when the power goes from - wall > dock > laptop? Because that's the only other big issue I can see.

Again, depends on brand. Make sure you read the product info and see the power rating of the output. 

Just now, Flapjack30 said:

Again, depends on brand. Make sure you read the product info and see the power rating of the output. 

OK, thanks a million for your time, that's all :3

53 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

2. Whaaaa? Like the monitors have a usb c that you can plug in or like through the display cable to the dock they can charge the laptop?

Yea, you would just run one usb c to usb c cable to the monitor and it will charge the device. I've seen it on some LG monitors and the Eve spectrum that is coming out (not reviewed) has it. If the later turns out to be good and is in your price range it's something to consider since it also has a USB hub on the back of the monitor.