Ram Comfiguration

Go to solution Solved by LateLesley,

OK, looking at the manual, page 28, the first two slots are Channel A, and the 3rd,4th slots channel B.

So that means in your config, you have the two 8GBs on Channel A, and the 16GB on Channel B, which since both channels match in size, there is a chance it will run in dual channel. But there are other things which play into this too, depending on how the sticks are configured, as @RodrigoRS alluded to. Whether they are single sided or double sided, the Bank configuration, timings (though that's not as big an issue, the system should run at the speed of the slowest stick).  So it may work in Dual Channel mode, but there is no Guarantee. 

From what I can see, Ryzen Master might be able to tell you if dua channel mode is enabled - I think it's called coupled mode, in the advanced view window. 

What many folk call Dual channel, is really interleave mode, which effectively doubles the speed the cpu can talk to your ram, by running them out of phase, and talking to them alternately. Since you have 3 sticks installed you are always "dual channel" as both channels have ram, what we are really trying to determine, is if it's just going to talk to one stick at a time, or if it can use interleave (or what I think they are calling coupled mode) to effectively double the data speed of talking to the ram. 

I'd download Ryzen Master, and have a look in the advanced view, and see what it's telling you. 

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

So im currently having my ram setup like this:

photo_2021-05-31_20-14-23.jpg.c09283cdcdbcc6075c681452131940ac.jpg

I was told this wouldn't be dual channel, is that correct?

Thx for your answers

It depends on your board. What board is it, so we can look at the manual for the slot configuration?

15 minutes ago, ArmasF32 said:

So im currently having my ram setup like this:

photo_2021-05-31_20-14-23.jpg.c09283cdcdbcc6075c681452131940ac.jpg

I was told this wouldn't be dual channel, is that correct?

Thx for your answers

yes its not in dual channel its on hybrid 

I recommend buy another 16gb stick like that one and put it in the second one from right to left and sell the others or get 2 more 8 sticks and sell that 16gb those are the best ways (make sure they are the same sticks from the frequency , latency and company )

1 minute ago, Omar.B said:

yes its not in dual channel its on hybrid 

I recommend buy another 16gb stick like that one and put it in the second one from right to left and sell the others or get 2 more 8 sticks and sell that 16gb those are the best ways (make sure they are the same sticks from the frequency , latency and company )

Not necessarily - some boards will work dual channel, as long as you have matching size ram in each channel, which might be the case here. if the 2  x 8GBs are on one channel, and the 16GB is on the other channel, it can work in dual channel mode. It doesn't always work, but there is many situations where it can. But that's why we need to know the board model, so we can check the ram slot config in the manual.

As long as you use less than 16gb of ram, it will have almost the same performance as 2x8gb. The moment you need more, it will depend in a few factors.

1) Is the 16gb stick dual rank? (in CPU-Z --> SPD ---> Ranks will tell you if it's dual or not). Most 16gb sticks are dual rank, therefore you could have almost the same benefits.

2) You surpase the 16gb of use while doing something that requires faster ram? (gaming, i.e.) If you are working with large files in some programs that are not ramspeed sensitives, it won't affect your performance noticiable either.

Even though is true 2x16gb will be ideal, I don't think the performance loss is really that big. Try playing or benchmarking some games/applications with 2x8gb (in games or programs that don't force you to use more than 16gb) and then put the same configuration as shown in the picture. That way you can see if it's worth it the cost of a new stick/sticks.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, LateLesley said:

Not necessarily - some boards will work dual channel, as long as you have matching size ram in each channel, which might be the case here. if the 2  x 8GBs are on one channel, and the 16GB is on the other channel, it can work in dual channel mode. It doesn't always work, but there is many situations where it can. But that's why we need to know the board model, so we can check the ram slot config in the manual.

True Or using CPUZ 

1 hour ago, LateLesley said:

It depends on your board. What board is it, so we can look at the manual for the slot configuration?

The Motherboard is a x570-A pro, as to be seen in my build here.

OK, looking at the manual, page 28, the first two slots are Channel A, and the 3rd,4th slots channel B.

So that means in your config, you have the two 8GBs on Channel A, and the 16GB on Channel B, which since both channels match in size, there is a chance it will run in dual channel. But there are other things which play into this too, depending on how the sticks are configured, as @RodrigoRS alluded to. Whether they are single sided or double sided, the Bank configuration, timings (though that's not as big an issue, the system should run at the speed of the slowest stick).  So it may work in Dual Channel mode, but there is no Guarantee. 

From what I can see, Ryzen Master might be able to tell you if dua channel mode is enabled - I think it's called coupled mode, in the advanced view window. 

What many folk call Dual channel, is really interleave mode, which effectively doubles the speed the cpu can talk to your ram, by running them out of phase, and talking to them alternately. Since you have 3 sticks installed you are always "dual channel" as both channels have ram, what we are really trying to determine, is if it's just going to talk to one stick at a time, or if it can use interleave (or what I think they are calling coupled mode) to effectively double the data speed of talking to the ram. 

I'd download Ryzen Master, and have a look in the advanced view, and see what it's telling you. 

11 minutes ago, LateLesley said:

How do i see if it's running in dual?

grafik.thumb.png.71e3903995646edd9dd36a8c5d85bffb.png

See the option - gektoppelter modus?? it'll say on or off. I take it "AN" means on in German?? if so, its running dual mode,  I think. 

Please forgive me, as languages are not my strong point, so relying in google translate.

German Ryzen Master Coupled Mode.png