Windows Server OS

Hi, i'm currently looking for a free Windows Server OS (that is legal) or anything that is being used for enterprise purposes for research/studying purposes. Are there any good informative video/tutorials on how to create and manage a server?

I'm studying for a certification exam and a actual hands on server OS would be a big help

Thank you

*i want a job so bad rn*

9 minutes ago, SleepingGiant said:

Hi, i'm currently looking for a free Windows Server OS (that is legal) or anything that is being used for enterprise purposes for research/studying purposes.

You can use get a 180 day evaluation license for any supported release of Windows Server from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019.

Edited by PorkishPig

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiant said:

Hi, i'm currently looking for a free Windows Server OS (that is legal) or anything that is being used for enterprise purposes for research/studying purposes. Are there any good informative video/tutorials on how to create and manage a server?

I'm studying for a certification exam and a actual hands on server OS would be a big help

Thank you

*i want a job so bad rn*

You can use the trial version of Windows Server.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019?filetype=ISO

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

You can use get a 180 evaluation license for any supported release of Windows Server from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019.

1 minute ago, LTTfan2006 said:

You can use the trial version of Windows Server. I think it is valid for 30 days. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019?filetype=ISO

@PorkishPig @LTTfan2006 what will happen after the 180 day trial? can i still use it?

1 minute ago, SleepingGiant said:

@PorkishPig @LTTfan2006 what will happen after the 180 day trial? can i still use it?

The machine will shutdown every hour, I believe. 

Spoiler

image.png.c49094a5ef5075d2b47efb7ca93a04ae.png

But of course, you can just re-install the OS, and you should be good for another 180 days. 

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

9 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

But of course, you can just re-install the OS, and you should be good for another 180 days. 

@LTTfan2006

after 180 days *just nuke it*

3 hours ago, LTTfan2006 said:

The machine will shutdown every hour, I believe. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.c49094a5ef5075d2b47efb7ca93a04ae.png

3 hours ago, SleepingGiant said:

@LTTfan2006

after 180 days *just nuke it*

Actually you can re use the trial 6 times by using this command "slmgr -rearm" but you need to to CMD as administrator

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

34 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Actually you can re use the trial 6 times by using this command "slmgr -rearm" but you need to to CMD as administrator

Hah, you beat me to it 🙂

This is the way to go for a lab environment like this.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

11 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Hah, you beat me to it 🙂

This is the way to go for a lab environment like this.

😄 same here! 😄 I've used mine 2nd time now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

@SleepingGiant

On 5/27/2021 at 4:14 PM, SleepingGiant said:

Are there any good informative video/tutorials on how to create and manage a server?

Are you hinting on actual Microsoft certficates here like MCSA or something?