Need help upgrading

Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,
6 minutes ago, Jaman34500 said:

Had dell 420 for years in garage, like the case, and want to make it in a decent gaming pc, if anyone can help on how to work this and what I got to get please help

Nothing LGA775 is worth repurposing, the platform is just too old. Are you looking to exclusively repurpose the case?

Make sure to quote or mention (@PorkishPig) the person you're replying to, and edit your posts instead of spamming replies.

Had dell 420 for years in garage, like the case, and want to make it in a decent gaming pc, if anyone can help on how to work this and what I got to get please help

image.jpg

What's in the computer for hardware?

But real talk, if it's been sitting in a garage for years?  It's probably e-waste

Well by years it’d be around 4 years since we haven’t used it

A lot of things still seem in good condition, and I’m planning to buy parts for it

Right now I need help dismantling it, that’s where I want to start at, see what I need and what I don’t 

6 minutes ago, Jaman34500 said:

Nothing LGA775 is worth repurposing, the platform is just too old. Are you looking to exclusively repurpose the case?

Make sure to quote or mention (@PorkishPig) the person you're replying to, and edit your posts instead of spamming replies.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, Jaman34500 said:

Alright, will the case need some modifications? @PorkishPig

The XPS 420 uses a non-standard motherboard form factor.

Are you just looking to put together a sleeper build? There's much more flexible cases you can use for this purpose.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

4 minutes ago, Jaman34500 said:

Alright, will the case need some modifications? @PorkishPig

A LOT. This case is anything but standard component compatible. Really I would not waste the effort as it is a bad case either way. No airflow at all and a pc NEEDS that.

Porkish, I have no idea of what your talking about, and jaslion I’ll make it work

4 minutes ago, Jaman34500 said:

Porkish, I have no idea of what your talking about, and jaslion I’ll make it work

Make sure to do this:

@PorkishPig @jaslion

To do that, type an @ and the type the person's full name. Their profile picture and name will show up, and if you click it you can tag them, notifying them.

OP, what exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to reuse the hardware already in this machine, or do you want to give it new hardware?
If you're trying to reuse the hardware, I wouldn't bother. It's more than 10 years old at this point and MUCH too slow for modern-day tasks unless you're running 1080p low settings.

elephants

1 minute ago, Jaman34500 said:

I have no idea of what your talking about

He's a beginner guys. Don't be so hard on him/her

Real talk tho. I think this pc is about 8-10ish years nothing out of it could be "used" for modern hardware. sad to say

Those white slots are PCI.  not PCI-E.

You're not going to want to use it for anything, it's crap.

Dell everything is proprietary, and you can't put stock components in there, either.

It's e-waste.