Need some advice on Laptop for Computer Science

What laptop do you suggest? i am looking at a thinkpad. Love my X230, thinking about getting a older T480, what do you think?

My max budget is 1500$ CAD, willing to go used.

Looking for

- upgradability

- repairability

- 1080p minimum

- Good battery life

- Good Linux support( i know almost everything has this)

Thank you

Upgradability is basically gone in 2021

Honestly, I cannot recommend a macbook enough in CS. Probably not what you want, but I would not stray from MacOS at this point.

- A senior CS student

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Honestly, I cannot recommend a macbook enough in CS. Probably not what you want, but I would not stray from MacOS at this point.

Actually i tried a new macbook almost every year but

2013- killed it self( GPU)- had to reball it to sell it

2016- keyboard broke- The apple store Genius said i type too fast- Thankfully they refunded me

2020- Had a bunch of kernel panic and no windows/ Linux support. I really want to use POP OS and contribute to its development, so being able to boot into it would be really helpful.

I love the Ipad for notes, will get a Mac mini to make Iphone apps. Avoiding Macs for now, waiting for 2nd or 3rd gen.

Thanks

46 minutes ago, ItsYaBoyMilan-X said:

upgradability

Hear me out:

Walmart (no, wait, come back, I"m serious!) made one called the Motile 14.

I wrote a review here

I believe it's everything you are asking for....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have been programming on my HP 230 G5, which has an i3-6006u through all my CS classes. I recommend getting a laptop with 8GB or more, from experience Pycharm, IntelliJ, etc; will eat a lot of ram compiling and running code.

21 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hear me out:

Walmart (no, wait, come back, I"m serious!) made one called the Motile 14.

I wrote a review here

I believe it's everything you are asking for....

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure if it will last 1 year. Also i live in Canada, so can't buy one from Walmart. I can find resellers selling it for 1000 CAD, IMO not worth it at that price.

15 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

I have been programming on my HP 230 G5, which has an i3-6006u through all my CS classes. I recommend getting a laptop with 8GB or more, from experience Pycharm, IntelliJ, etc; will eat a lot of ram compiling and running code.

Cool, should i go for a newer HP? or get a t480 or 95? How is the build holding up?

No worries.

Professional opinion: I wouldn't own an HP if you gave me the money to buy it with.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

: I wouldn't own an HP if you gave me the money to buy it with.

My experience with HP also has been really bad, so avoiding them.

ty

2 hours ago, ItsYaBoyMilan-X said:

Cool, should i go for a newer HP? or get a t480 or 95? How is the build holding up?

Go with HP if you really like to do troubleshooting yourself, I mean really. 😆 I just did a fresh install of Win10 as soon as I got it, slap in a SSD, install some drivers, and it has been working fine for the last 5 years. I'm more suprised the hinges haven't broke yet from my constant closing/opening of the lid. The only thing that really was a plus was the removable battery. HP also locked down all their BIOSes, so you can't access advanced settings anymore.