AM3+ pc gets power but rarely boots

tripaloski
Ive got an old am3+ system with an fx 6300, 8gb of ram and an old amd graphics card installed but it rarely boots, the components get power and the fans spin but no image on the monitor but im certain the gpu is working. After i swap dimm slots or reset the bios sometimes it boots once but then it doesnt until i repeat the process. Ive tried different ram, psu and storage drives but nothing seems to make it boot consistently so it must be cpu or mobo that need replacing but i have none on hand to test, which one of the 2 is it more likely to be the cause?

More info about the system would be helpful because some boards have POST code readouts, some have LED's that will light up progressively as it boots.....
That's the kind of info we really need here to determine what's going on.
Based on that, we can either give suggestions or even nail the problem down but remember you're the only one there to actually see what's going on, that's why this info is so important for us to help.

As for what could be out of the two things you named as components, it's a 50/50 chance either way for those - Could also be a bad GPU since it will never boot if that's bad as well.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

More info about the system would be helpful because some boards have POST code readouts, some have LED's that will light up progressively as it boots.....
That's the kind of info we really need here to determine what's going on.
Based on that, we can either give suggestions or even nail the problem down but remember you're the only one there to actually see what's going on, that's why this info is so important for us to help.

As for what could be out of the two things you named as components, it's a 50/50 chance either way for those - Could also be a bad GPU since it will never boot if that's bad as well.

i can for sure say its not the gpu as ive tested multiple and none have worked, while they output video perfectly on other systems. I'll have a look on the motherboard for the debuging leds and post my results.

Okay so, i reseted the bios by removing the battery for a few mins and once i turned it on i got to this screen: 20210526_155553.jpg

If i select run setup, it gets me into the bios but as soon as i leave, it doesnt boot again unless i remove the battery again. If i press F2 to continue, i get into my OS but again, as soon as the pc turns off, its not coming back on. Also, i couldnt find any debugging indicators, my motherboard is the msi 970A-G43. It's also worth noting that most of the times the gpu fan didnt spin. Every time the pc booted the gpu fan was spinning but there were also times were the fan worked but i got no video. I had noticed this exact thing with other gpus on this pc which leads me to believe its something with the gpu controller on the mobo, not sure though, just a wild guess

Could be the battery is too weak to hold settings, try a new CMOS battery and see if that helps.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

14 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Could be the battery is too weak to hold settings, try a new CMOS battery and see if that helps.

I have none on hand, the only other one i have is in my main pc and im not sure if its a good idea to remove it. Anything else i can try for now?

Update: I found a new battery and replaced the old one and i have not been able to make the pc boot since. No image whatever i try