How do you guys transfer files between Android and PC?

Hi all,

First off sorry if this is the wrong place - wasn't sure if this was supposed to be phones or apps.

My question is fairly simple - how on earth do you wirelessly (and seamlessly) transfer files between PC and android? In my case I have a samsung s9 and I have to take pictures when I am out surveying at work and then bring them back to the computer to write my report. I for the life of me can not get the stupid photos over to my work computer without a cable (and I just broke my last other cable that's not my bedside charging cable). I know that there are plenty of 3rd party apps out there that can do it (not as seamlessly as I would like but they work) but my problem is, is that I need to transfer them to my work laptop and that computer is locked down and the network settings are locked down (I have a NAS that I built that I normally use to transfer between my phone and personal computer but can't do that here) and I can not install any other software without admin credentials which I don't have (and my company IT guy isn't willing to do due to company policy, etc. etc.). Is there any native way to do so? I have tried bluetooth and for some reason it will not connect on the phone end and when I try the link to windows/phone app on the PC, after I scan the QR code it just sits there and doesn't do anything - both on my work and personal PC's. Has anyone found a way? I am SO FRUSTRATED. Thanks

When my cable doesn't work, I usually email them to myself. It takes a bit but it works.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

When my cable doesn't work, I usually email them to myself. It takes a bit but it works.

I've tried that, but with the amount of photos that I take for my daily surveys (~50 most days) email just isn't really feasible.

Why not transfer them to a micro USB and then use that to plug into the computer to transfer them?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

12 minutes ago, kklokreach said:

Is there any native way to do so? I have tried bluetooth and for some reason it will not connect on the phone end and when I try the link to windows/phone app on the PC, after I scan the QR code it just sits there and doesn't do anything - both on my work and personal PC's. Has anyone found a way? I am SO FRUSTRATED. Thanks

Native? No. Here are some third party options I can think of:

• Snapdrop - Transfer files between devices on your local network.
  • Autosync for Google Drive - Automatically sync device folders to Google Drive.
  • AirDroid + AirDroid Web - Remote access to device folders. Not free and has transfer quotas.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Why not transfer them to a micro USB and then use that to plug into the computer to transfer them?

I don't actually happen to have one of those. Is a hardware connection (cable/usb/sd card) your main method of file transfer? 

3 minutes ago, kklokreach said:

I don't actually happen to have one of those. Is a hardware connection (cable/usb/sd card) your main method of file transfer? 

Yeah, hardware is what I use.

One of these could solve your problem for pretty cheap. Yeah, you'd have to have something to open the port every day, but if you just kept the little pin thing for removing SIM cards in your desk it could be problem solved.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, PorkishPig said:

Native? No. Here are some third party options I can think of:

• Snapdrop - Transfer files between devices on your local network.
  • Autosync for Google Drive - Automatically sync device folders to Google Drive.
  • AirDroid + AirDroid Web - Remote access to device folders. Not free and has transfer quotas.

Oh my god I didn't know about snapdrop, that's amazing thank you!

Now mainly as a curiosity, how does the majority of the android community solve this problem, hardware? 3rd party software apps? Homebrew? Just wanted to know cuz it felt like I was banging my head against the wall when asking google.

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Yeah, hardware is what I use.

One of these could solve your problem for pretty cheap. Yeah, you'd have to have something to open the port every day, but if you just kept the little pin thing for removing SIM cards in your desk it could be problem solved.

Gotcha, I've never preferred a hardware connection for workflow purposes, but I'll keep that solution in mind - thanks!

20 minutes ago, kklokreach said:

Now mainly as a curiosity, how does the majority of the android community solve this problem, hardware? 3rd party software apps? Homebrew? Just wanted to know cuz it felt like I was banging my head against the wall when asking google.

Personally, I use Google Drive for small one-off file transfers and Google Photos for images. If I need to transfer files in bulk, I use FX File Explorer (Cx File Explorer is better supported nowadays) to transfer files to an SMB share on my local machine.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

7 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Personally, I use Google Drive for small one-off file transfers and Google Photos for images. If I need to transfer files in bulk, I use FX File Explorer (Cx File Explorer is better supported nowadays) to transfer files to an SMB share on my local machine.

Interesting, I've never liked using google drive or google photos, I also prefer to use an SMB share to transfer files on my personal PC - just can't on my work PC due to them locking down the network.

I don't really move files on or off the phone, so when I do, I use cable. For tablet, I move media files and books on it. For that I use Resilio Sync and have set of folders. It works mainly over local network.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, kklokreach said:

Hi all,

First off sorry if this is the wrong place - wasn't sure if this was supposed to be phones or apps.

My question is fairly simple - how on earth do you wirelessly (and seamlessly) transfer files between PC and android? In my case I have a samsung s9 and I have to take pictures when I am out surveying at work and then bring them back to the computer to write my report. I for the life of me can not get the stupid photos over to my work computer without a cable (and I just broke my last other cable that's not my bedside charging cable). I know that there are plenty of 3rd party apps out there that can do it (not as seamlessly as I would like but they work) but my problem is, is that I need to transfer them to my work laptop and that computer is locked down and the network settings are locked down (I have a NAS that I built that I normally use to transfer between my phone and personal computer but can't do that here) and I can not install any other software without admin credentials which I don't have (and my company IT guy isn't willing to do due to company policy, etc. etc.). Is there any native way to do so? I have tried bluetooth and for some reason it will not connect on the phone end and when I try the link to windows/phone app on the PC, after I scan the QR code it just sits there and doesn't do anything - both on my work and personal PC's. Has anyone found a way? I am SO FRUSTRATED. Thanks

Just download the app WEBPC SUITE APK from web, install it, and there you go.

You can send the files to you pc, or you can send to your android mobile.

If it's part of your job, and you do it every day, invest in a WiFi HDD.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

• 4 weeks later...

Also you can use wifi ftp server app in android playstore to connect with your computer 

I use a SMB server I have, (btw if anyone is interested the ONLY SMB client I could find that properly supports SMBv3 with Encryption on Android is Android Samba Client by Google but they removed it from the play store.... So you need to track down the apk from somewhere online)
I just have it mapped on all my devices

If it's a large file I'll usually plug my phone in to the computer and just copy it that way.

I've been trying to find a way to copy text between devices easily but so far alt-c and usually just discord DMing my alt works.

And as mentioned for recurring copies (like syncing my password database file, music, and pictures) I use Resilio Sync.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1